By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have 3rd Party Devs treated the Switch as a Console or a Handheld

Tagged games:

I think the true appeal of the Switch became apparent to me when they released the Lite version.  People still prefer the base model.  Even in Japan, which is handheld territory, people prefer the base model.  I believe it's because people like the value of it being both.  It's like buying a PS4 and getting a Vita for free.  It's very much both, and that is its strength.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:

To be honest, I never understood the point in calling it a handheld with TV output.

I will tell you why. Once the Switch battery can no longer hold a charge. Even docking it, the system will not turn on.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Both?

I mean, sure there are some exceptions, games that have more/better features in one of the modes, but they are aiming at both.It's a hybrid system people.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nintendo treats it like both, because it is both. Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey for example are far above the caliber of what people would consider portable games, but Pokemon Sword/Shield just seems like natural progression to what we saw on the 3DS.

If we are talking about strickly 3rd parties however, they are treating it as a portable that can handle console games. What reason is there for someone to choose the Switch version of Witcher 3, DOOM, MK11, Outer Worlds, Wolfenstein, etc other than the ease of playing it portable? It is literally the primary selling point. I mean sure some people only have a Switch and would only be able to get that version, but those sales are just a bonus TBH.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Ka-pi96 said:
Why do so many people think that handhelds CONSOLES aren't consoles?

Yeah, that really gets on my nerve... 

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:

But when the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, it received a console port of FIFA 18 just like the PS4 and XBox One. 

Nope, the Nintendi Switch didn't get a console port of Fifa 18, it got a specific designed version of the game with another game engine, which was slightly improved for Fifa 19 before being just the updated game with Fifa 20

Leynos said:
GoOnKid said:

To be honest, I never understood the point in calling it a handheld with TV output.

I will tell you why. Once the Switch battery can no longer hold a charge. Even docking it, the system will not turn on.

If you put it back in the dock when the Switch tells you to (even if you wait until the "console going to sleep soon" message or whatever the final warning is), then yes it will remain on and continue to play.

Mandalore76 said:
Leynos said:

If you put it back in the dock when the Switch tells you to (even if you wait until the "console going to sleep soon" message or whatever the final warning is), then yes it will remain on and continue to play.

When the battery can no longer hold a charge. As in it's fully depleted from a lot of use and I mean dead.  Cannot be charged anymore. You cannot turn it on. It can't charge anymore. Not even docked will it turn on. Vita was designed in the same way that even with a direct power source. If that battery can't hold a charge. It just won't turn on. My PSP which the battery could no longer charge from being old. You could try to charge it for hours but as soon as you unplugged it. Dead. PSP at least let me play without a battery. You can't do the same with Switch plugged in.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

SKMBlake said:
Mandalore76 said:

But when the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, it received a console port of FIFA 18 just like the PS4 and XBox One. 

Nope, the Nintendi Switch didn't get a console port of Fifa 18, it got a specific designed version of the game with another game engine, which was slightly improved for Fifa 19 before being just the updated game with Fifa 20

"Just like" referred to "received a console port", not implying it was the exact same engine used.  My point was that EA and 2K had both stopped releasing dedicated handheld versions of their biggest sports franchises years ago.  EA stopped releasing FIFA on 3DS and Vita after 2014.  2K did not release a single NBA 2K game on either the 3DS or Vita.  Not when they were both brand new devices.  And, not even when the 3DS sales picked-up steam and built up a decent install base.  You'd have to go all the way back to 2012 to find the last dedicated handheld 2K port, which was NBA 2K13 on the PSP.  When the Switch released with both home and portable functionality, both EA and 2K started porting their flagship sports titles to it.

Not to negate any other peoples arguments on how 3rd parties treat Nintendo consoles but I have found a key point people often miss when asking _why_ a game does or does not get ported over to a system. That being storage space. Whether it be on the system itself or the physical medium, it can be one of the greatest key factors.

Why would Skyrim ever be on a system like 3DS or PSVita? Not just that it would suck, but there is simply not enough storage space.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.