By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What would the 8th/9th Gen be like if the Xbox One kept DRM?

Probably unpopular opinion, but I doubt it would have been way worse than it ended up in the end after the reversal of such policies. Of course it would have resulted in Xbox One selling less than 50m, probably between 30-40m but not the WiiU levels for sure. First of all, Xbox still has a loyal fanbase which will buy the console no matter what, a lot of COD/FIFA players who prefer Xbox would still buy it because these games wouldn't have abandoned the platform. And the biggest part of why it wouldn't have changed much is because I suppose that the damage was already done when the policy was announced. It's reversal didn't help that much to get the console back on track.

Around the Network

I’d be like the WiiU. The end.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I think the Xbox One would've struggled to surpass the original Xbox if they kept all those anti-consumer business practices. IMO if Microsoft did all of that, who in there right mind would choose to get an Xbox One over the PS4, you're essentially getting a less powerful system that you don't really have full ownership of that's a hassle to share games with for 100$ more than a PS4. Unless you're a DIEHARD fan of Halo or Forza I don't see how anyone would choose an Xbox One. I think it would've sold around gamecube numbers.