By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series Velocity Architecture detailed

Hmm, would like a bit more information and to see it at work.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
KBG29 said:
Anyone know the difference between Partially Resident Textures and Sampler Feedback Streaming?

PlayStation Shader Language already supports Partially Resident Textures, which I from what I understand, is very similar to what Xbox is doing with SFS.

According to Microsoft's document on SFS, SFS and PRT are the same thing. PRT was created about a decade ago by id's John Carmack, but was pretty much only used in their 2011 game Rage from what I'm reading. It works by breaking down a scene into tiles, and then the texture quality needed for each tile is determined by the distance from the player to the tile, so that for each tile, you only need to have a single texture loaded into the RAM, instead of having all possible texture resolutions for the entire scene loaded into the RAM at once, so that they can be accessed as the player moves through the world and texture quality settings change based on distance.

The main difference seems to be that Rage's implementation of PRT used CPU resources to decide which tiles need which texture resolutions, sapping a good bit of CPU power. This article from Microsoft seems to suggest that Series X has dedicated hardware for SFS built into the GPU, freeing up CPU resources. Not sure if PS5's GPU will have similar functionality, or if devs on PS5 will need to use CPU resources for PRT.

Very nice. Thanks for the detailed reply.

It will be interesting to see how Sony has handled this vs how Microsoft has. PSSL has had PRT since 2014, so I would have to believe Sony has been optimizing it through the years. We will have to see if any of the fixed function additions to the I/O or GPU in the PS5 will help accelerate this process, as it appears Microsoft has done with the XBS.

At any rate, both of these consoles are going to do some amazing things with storage and I/O, the likes we have never seen in the console space. Should offer devs a chance to really showcase their vision this generation!

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Good read, nice to see things are efficient. “Greater then the sum of its parts” and what not

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.