Forums - Gaming Discussion - Far Cry 6 confirmed by Ubisoft after leak, possible Far Cry 3 prequel

What we know about the game from the leaked PS Store listing:

• Giancarlo Esposito of Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and The Mandalorian fame is playing the main villain, Anton Castillo, the dictator of a fictional Caribbean island country named Yara
  • Anton has a son named Diego who is following in his fathers footsteps
  • You play as a rebel named Dani Rojas, fighting to liberate Yara from the oppression of Anton and his son
  • Yara is a tropical country with jungles and beaches. The PS Store listing claims Yara is the largest Far Cry map to date, meaning it is bigger than Far Cry 5's map, as Far Cry 5 was the largest before.
  • Release is February 18th, 2021
  • Players who purchase Far Cry 6 on PS4 get a free upgrade to the PS5 version (it is likely the same will happen on Xbox through Smart Delivery).
  • Preorder bonuses are the "state of the art Discos Locos weapon" and "a skin for Chorizo"
  • The game will see the return of Far Cry 5's "Friends for Hire" system, under a new name, Amigos

The following is speculation:

• Far Cry 6 may be a prequel to Far Cry 3. The son of Far cry 6 main villain, Diego Castillo, looks like a younger Vaas, right down to the eyebrow scar:
  • Vaas actor Michael Mando has hinted multiple times that he is not done playing Vaas. 2 years ago he sparked speculation that the next Far Cry would be a Far Cry 3 sequel, only for Far Cry New Dawn to be announced instead. Last month, in a Reddit AMA, he once again hinted that he would play Vaas again in the future.
  • The theory is that we will see a retcon of Vaas' current backstory of being born in the Rook Islands in 1985, the blood brother of Citra, and instead make him the adopted brother of Citra, after he fled from Yara when his father loses the country at the end of Far Cry 6. The game would give us backstory on how Vaas turned into the psychopath we see in Far Cry 3, participating in his fathers dictatorial crimes in Far Cry 6, and then watching his father killed by rebels, forcing him to flee the country. The game may feature flash forward scenes to an adult Vaas played by Michael Mando, or Michael Mando could be attempting to throw his voice to sound younger and play the younger version of Vaas.
Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 10 July 2020

Around the Network

The first time in a long time I've been interested in a FarCry game.

Also, seems like a lot of games are getting free PS4 - PS5 upgrades, which was to be expected imho.

I don't really see why Vaas would need an origin story, but....ok.

Far Cry 6 aside, I'm shocked Ubisoft never bothered to port the series to the Switch, not even when they released the single player only version for 8th gen consoles. You'd think that would be a good excuse for a port.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Angelus said:
I don't really see why Vaas would need an origin story, but....ok.

It's the 9th Far Cry game. Gotta come up with something. And fast!

Chinese food for breakfast

Around the Network

I'm wondering how many of these "free upgrade" games, if any at all, will have separate trophy/achievement lists.

Nice, I can always do with more Far Cry in my life. Part 3 is still my favorite due to the tropical setting. Too bad it's still so far away :(

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

COKTOE said:
I'm wondering how many of these "free upgrade" games, if any at all, will have separate trophy/achievement lists.

Apparently none of them do on Xbox. Smart Delivery next-gen versions are treated as an update for the current gen versions and share saves and achievement lists. Only games from publishers who aren't participating in Smart Delivery, like NBA 2K21, will have separate lists. 

shikamaru317 said:
COKTOE said:

Apparently none of them do on Xbox. Smart Delivery next-gen versions are treated as an update for the current gen versions and share saves and achievement lists. Only games from publishers who aren't participating in Smart Delivery, like NBA 2K21, will have separate lists. 

Ahhh, that makes sense. Especially with the shared saves, which I didn't know was a thing.

Gotta tug on them nostalgia strings for juicy upticks in sales, eh Ubisoft?.