By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Users: Show Me Your POWAH! Summer 2020

Literally built a new PC this past month haven't take a picture of the tower yet but here are the current specs will upgrade in the coming years but at the moment it runs everything fine even at 4k, has 5TB HDD space.

Around the Network

5TB, wondered why I bothered with a piddly 1TB. Recently installed Odyssey, games of that size fill it out in a blink of an eye.

Well, I got my gaming laptop and, it's fun :)

Yesterday I treated my friend who hasn't been able to buy the new DOOM. I got it all set up on my projector and the game played nicely without a hitch. However I need more RAM for Ultra-Nightmare settings. Needless to say, we were really happy about the experience, playing these latest graphics on a projector, it was so immersive. The last Doom game I played was DOOM II on my 486, so it was a decent upgrade to say the least.

The day before I fired up Street Fighter V on my first tests on the PC and it ran smoothly once I got a 360 controller plugged in, otherwise with the keyboard it was a nightmare. I ended up playing online and had no trouble beating my opponents, so I am thinking that the matchup is by level. I don't know how to use V-triggers yet but I played it pretty much like SFIV and I was able to do okay. The graphics were nice though.

Today I will probably play a bit of League on it with some friends. I'm glad because I was afraid that I would be gaming too much and not spend time on my other hobbies, but so far I'm mostly doing social gaming (with my IRL friends) and it is very healthy and reasonable. Anyway, here is the pic - sorry for the workout smoothie, and for hookah lovers you can see the head of my narguile in the back :).

I'll take a picture of the DOOM projector setup next time we play ;)

The machine is an HP OMEN 17-cb0002ca, these are the specs from HP. I'll upgrade the SSD and RAM in the next few days, and then will get an RTX eGPU in a few years or sell/keep it and buy a new model.

Product number
7KJ87UA
Product name
OMEN by HP 17-cb0002ca
Microprocessor
Intel® Core™ i7-9750H (2.6 GHz base frequency, up to 4.5 GHz base with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 6 cores)
Chipset
Intel® HM370
Memory, standard
12 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB)
Video graphics
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 630
  • Discrete
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti Graphics (6 GB GDDR6 dedicated)
Hard drive
  • 128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
  • 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
Optical drive
Optical drive not included
Display
43.9 cm (17.3") diagonal Full HD display
Wireless connectivity
802.11ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo
Network interface
Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN
Expansion slots
1 multi-format SD media card reader
External ports
1 USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C™ with Thunderbolt™ 3 (40 Gb/s signaling rate, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge); 3 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A; 1 HDMI; 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 microphone; 1 AC smart pin; 1 Mini DisplayPort™
Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
40.5 x 29.5 x 2.7 cm
Weight
Starting at 2.97 kg
Power supply type
200 W AC power adapter
Battery type
4-cell, 70 Wh Li-ion
Webcam
HP Wide Vision HD Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone
Audio features
B&O; dual speakers; HP Audio Boost; Omen Audio Control Support DTS:X® Ultra

I installed cheap china RGB LED strip today:

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Is it worth waiting till black Friday for some deals?
I’ve seen bestbuy or ibuypower have some really good deals of prebuilt PCs. Unless you guys recommend something.

Around the Network

Coming back from last winter vacation, I turned on again my desktop and the mobo was fried, I made a minor upgrade, keeping all the HW still working, HDDs, graphics card, case, etc and bought:
AsRock B450 Pro4 mobo
Ryzen 5 2600 CPU (back then the best value as performance/list price ratio in its market segment, even best value at the best Amazon price I found. BTW, unlike older AMD ones, this time the standard provided CPU cooler is quiet enough to not force me to buy a 3rd party one. It also helps that even with more than 80 tabs open in Firefox, most CPU cores stay under 10% power, so the fan can almost always run at minimum speed, the power leap from my old system has been huge even with a little more than entry level CPU).
16GB (2x8GB) ECC DDR4 (being an emergency partial upgrade with possible further ones, I started looking for 8GB in 2x4GB modules, but I quickly found that 4GB starting becoming obsolete, 16GB in 2x8GB just cost a very few euros more)
Cooler Master MWE 500W White PSU, as the old 400W one, besides offering little power margin if I later upgrade GPU and add other HW too, had an old mobo connector with just additional 4pin instead of 8pin, again barely enough for the current config, but possibly insufficient in case of future upgrades, moreover there was the possibility that the old one could be involved in the old mobo frying.
Outside nothing exciting to see, the old Enermax Pandora case, I even covered a passive cooling grille on the side with gray duck tape to force all air entering through fans with dust filters (I added two quiet 120mm ones to the one in the case standard equipment, all pumping air in, while the PSU fan pumps it out).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Love the fans on the tower CGI, massive and also clean. Once i upgrade to a RTX-3080 ill be looking at a similar case design, might be overkill for a 1 GPU setup but it looks cool (Pun intended)

Here are the specs of my new rig so far (currently building it, missing only the GPU):

• CPU: Intel Core-i9-10900k
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG Z490 GODLIKE
  • RAM: 128GB Corsair Vengeance RGB
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3
  • SSD: 2 x WD BLACK SN750 2TB
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken Z63 + 2 Extra 140m RGB Fan for the look :)
  • Case: NZXT H510 Elite (bottom white)
  • GPU: Hopefully an RTX3090, may go with a 3080 if it is impossible to find in the next month

I was hesitating between an AMD Ryzen 9 3950X / ASUS ROG Strix X570-E combo but I'm just too much of an Intel sucker :) Don't think I will ever switch back to AMD.

Going to take a picture when it will be fully built (and when I'll get my hand on an RTX3080 or 3090) but I'm really trying to build something that also look pretty sexy.

Update Fall 2020:

CASCADE-RTX (as I call it):

CPU: Intel Core-i9 10980XE @3GHz (4.8 Max Turbo)
GPU: NVIDIA TITAN RTX
RAM: 128GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix-E Gaming II
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt Maker 1500
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (3500 Read, 3300 Write) x 2
Case: Cooler Master H500M
Cooling (CPU only): Cosair H90 Liquid Cooler

Current set up. Will change over the course of the next few months.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 *
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 *
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming 5
PSU: EVGA G2L 750W
Storage: SSD - Sabrent Rocket 2TB (Gen 3 NVMe), Crucial MX300 525GB   HDD - Toshiba X300 5TB
Case: Fractal Design Define R5
Cooling (CPU only): Arctic Freezer 33 (2 Corsair 120SP Performance fans)
Display: Electriq 34" WQHD
VR: Oculus Rift
Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero Special Edition / G403 Wireless
Keyboard: Logitech G610 Brown
Headphones: Blon B20 / HyperX Alpha / Koss KPH30i powered by JDS Atom Headphone Amp and Khadas Tone Board USB DAC
Speakers: KEF Q100 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 540A amp (60W x2)

* Soon to be updated to 5600X plus RX 3800XT

Last edited by hinch - on 10 November 2020