By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NSW is here to Stay!! It’s Life Will Be Long and No Successor Will Come Before 2025!

When will NSW2 come out?

2022 Holiday 15 11.19%

2023 Spring 19 14.18%

2023 Holiday 25 18.66%

2024 Spring 38 28.36%

2024 Holiday 23 17.16%

2025 Spring 10 7.46%

2025 Holiday 3 2.24%

2026+ 1 0.75%

Total:134
curl-6 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Nintendo's IPs are too valuable to risk on unproven hardware. Look at N64/WiiU. There's no reason for Nintendo's big dogs to be exclusive to Switch 2 and given the risk it would be foolish to do so. If Switch has X years of life left as a home console, then it has X + 5 years left as a handheld. They can't bet the house on hardware again even if they do have the best hardware gimmick ever invented.

They cannot ride Switch 1 forever, so sooner they later they have to move on to new hardware, and when they do, they need software to sell it.

Kinect and Pokemon are the only things I can think of that have extended a gen.

Mario Kart, NSMB, Smash, Animal Crossing and Zelda (so far) are the only titles that currently have the selling power of Kinect/Pokemon.

They're all either 'last gen' games or games that could have easily run on last gen hardware or 2-gen old hardware at lower res.

So, actually Nintendo could ride Switch 'forever' or for at least 2 gens if they wanted to.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
curl-6 said:

They cannot ride Switch 1 forever, so sooner they later they have to move on to new hardware, and when they do, they need software to sell it.

Mario Kart, NSMB, Smash, Animal Crossing and Zelda (so far) are the only titles that currently have the selling power of Kinect/Pokemon.

They're all either 'last gen' games or games that could have easily run on last gen hardware or 2-gen old hardware at lower res.

So, actually Nintendo could ride Switch 'forever' or for at least 2 gens if they wanted to.

No, they can't ride out two gens on Switch. Gens last 7 years these days, they cannot ride Switch for 14 years.

curl-6 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

No, they can't ride out two gens on Switch. Gens last 7 years these days, they cannot ride Switch for 14 years.

I was using 5 years as an average for Nintendo consoles. Rumours suggest MS might be staying a gen behind too so that would make it more likely Switch could be around for a while.

What do you want from a Switch 2? Zelda HD/4K or the 'one ring' (Nin+3rd party) or both?

Pyro as Bill said:
curl-6 said:

I was using 5 years as an average for Nintendo consoles. Rumours suggest MS might be staying a gen behind too so that would make it more likely Switch could be around for a while.

What do you want from a Switch 2? Zelda HD/4K or the 'one ring' (Nin+3rd party) or both?

I guess I'd want things that can't be done on Switch 1, like more complex and dynamic game worlds.

Whenever switch 2 comes out, it needs a good sad and cpu so they also remove all loading times and can compete somewhat with PS5 and XSeX. That I think is much more important than 4k. So until they can make sure to make that for switch 2, I suggest they keep the switch. I just think spring 2024 is so perfect for everything with technology, price, life of switch, etc. It's a perfect date and it gives enough time for all big Ninty devs to make their next big thing after the current bug guns come on switch

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

I guess I'd want things that can't be done on Switch 1, like more complex and dynamic game worlds.

Come on.

Switch's first game was BoTW. It could have been done on HW from 2002-2005 but it arrived on a Nintendo handheld instead.

Nintendo's biggest IPs aren't being held back by HW and new HW is only showing signs of complexity/dynamism in terms of lighting not gameplay.

Pyro as Bill said:
curl-6 said:

Come on.

Switch's first game was BoTW. It could have been done on HW from 2002-2005 but it arrived on a Nintendo handheld instead.

Nintendo's biggest IPs aren't being held back by HW and new HW is only showing signs of complexity/dynamism in terms of lighting not gameplay.

BOTW hinges on complexity that could not have been done on older Nintendo hardware like Wii or 3DS. Switch is already limited in a lot of ways, sticking with this hardware for too long will lead to stagnation. 

curl-6 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Come on.

BOTW hinges on complexity that could not have been done on older Nintendo hardware like Wii or 3DS. Switch is already limited in a lot of ways, sticking with this hardware for too long will lead to stagnation. 

Totally wrong.

BoTW's complexity can and was done generations earlier. What you mean is it took 15 year old HW to successfully translate it to 3D with a seamless open world.

Pyro as Bill said:
curl-6 said:

Totally wrong.

BoTW's complexity can and was done generations earlier. What you mean is it took 15 year old HW to successfully translate it to 3D with a seamless open world.

BOTW would be impossible on Wii, 3DS, or any Nintendo hardware before Wii U. 

curl-6 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Totally wrong.

BOTW would be impossible on Wii, 3DS, or any Nintendo hardware before Wii U. 

In top down perspective?

What about 3D with lots of loading times?