By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Discs Arrive in the Mail Loose.

Do your PS4 games ever arrive loose in the case?

Yes, all the time! 5 26.32%

No, never! 5 26.32%

Every once in a while. 8 42.11%

More often than not. 0 0%

About 50/50. 1 5.26%

Total:19

Does anybody else order a game online, and occasionally get a loose disk in the mail? I mean, the disc is bouncing around inside the case before you even take the shrink wrap off. This damages the game a lot of times, and causes it to not play correctly.

I'm pretty peeved right now, because instead of playing TLoU2, I have to go all the way back to BestBuy to swap my copy out for one that isn't jostling around in the case.

Around the Network

One of the many reasons I haven’t bought a physical game in like 6 years. All digital for me!

gergroy said:
One of the many reasons I haven’t bought a physical game in like 6 years. All digital for me!

This isn't an issue with XB1 games, and obviously not Switch games. It's specific to the weak disc holder that PS4 discs sit in.

I have it happen all the time but it never damages my discs. The only disc damage I get is on DVD movies. I've had PS4 discs cases completely crushed and the discs still survive unscathed. I've purchased empty blu-ray cases to change out broken ones.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I bought 3 PS4 games on Amazon and they arrived today I was shocked that they were all still on the spool. That rarely happens lol. Blu-Rays are much harder to damage so I never had the disc damaged this way. Just the case.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I'm one of those that has gone full digital. Even the games I had on disc early in the gen, I purchased again as digital titles.

On Xbox One, when you installed a game, even if you took the disc out, it just kept installing. Turns out, the game was downloading (or the digital stuff was exactly the same as the physical plus patches). On PS4, when I tried to download a game that was physical, I'd have to delete the disc first.

My point is, it seems like, in at least some instances, the disc doesn't matter anymore. But, I have to admit, it's been at least 2014 since I bought a physical disc. If you can get the data to install, it might not even matter if your disc is damaged. Everything runs off the HDD. There disc just checks to see if you actually own the software.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 21 June 2020

d21lewis said:

I'm one of those that has gone full digital. Even the games I had on disc early in the gen, I purchased again as digital titles.

On Xbox One, when you installed a game, even if you took the disc out, it just kept installing. Turns out, the game was downloading (or the digital stuff was exactly the same as the physical plus patches). On PS4, when I tried to download a game that was physical, I'd have to delete the disc first.

My point is, it seems like, in at least some instances, the disc doesn't matter anymore. But, I have to admit, it's been at least 2014 since I bought a physical disc. If you can get the data to install, it might not even matter if your disc is damaged. Everything runs off the HDD. There disc just checks to see if you actually own the software.

Damaged disc = corrupted install. Corrupted install = rebooting your PS4 in safe mode and rebuilding the HDD database.

In my experience it's mostly companies like EA, Activision, or Ubisoft that uses the disc as just a download code. Luckily I don't play games by them.

Cerebralbore101 said:
d21lewis said:

Damaged disc = corrupted install. Corrupted install = rebooting your PS4 in safe mode and rebuilding the HDD database.

In my experience it's mostly companies like EA, Activision, or Ubisoft that uses the disc as just a download code. Luckily I don't play games by them.

I thought as much. Again, on Xbox, even if you take the disc out, it still installs. I remember putting in a disc, letting it install 1%, removing the disc and putting in another. I'd have like five games installing at once with no disc in the system at all. When I tried to play an installed game, it would ask for the disc or ask me to buy the game digitally. Buying a game digitally just meant I didn't need the disc anymore. And, as many already knew, XBO games install muuuuuuch faster if you take the entire system offline and then install the disc. I have my own theories as to why this is.

PlayStation is a different beast. The disc and the digital games are two totally different things. But I feel like, if you can just rent a game and install it (or borrow it from a friend) even a damaged disc will let you access the install.

This whole thing is way off topic from the op. Shouldn't have to buy a game and worry about it being damaged. The only games I've ever ordered online were Gravity Rush PS4, Bulletwitch (360), some random DS games for my daughter, and some GameCube games I missed back when the GC was still alive. Never had a problem, though. Everything always arrived in great condition.

Yeah, it happens every once in a while. Disc is always fine though so no big deal.

I've received off the spool, but never had any scratches or other damage from it. You would have to be really unlucky / buggy install for it to not detect the problem on the disc and fail to abort the install properly.