By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console Operating System Market Share

Do you think this OS market share accurate or not?

Yes 0 0%

No 2 100.00%

Total:2

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/console/worldwide/#monthly-201301-202005

According to Statcounter, here is the current console operating system market share worldwide as of May 2020

Playstation:66%

Xbox: 33%

Nintendo:0.57%

I assume this line graph is talking about OS usage, if that's the case I find this line graph hard to believe for several reasons:

1.Switch outsold the Xbox One Worldwide, Xbox players would need to play or use the OS a far more absurd amount than Switch players to be able to kill the Switch in OS market share, which I don't see possible.

2. There are several instances in the graph where Xbox surpasses the PS in OS market share despite PS selling twice as much as Xbox.

So what do you guys think about the consoles OS market share?

I notice that some analysts in one of CNBC's video use this to act like Nintendo is falling from grace to it's competitors, however these were the same "analysts" to say Apple Arcade and Google Stadia were legit competitors to the Switch which makes me doubtful to believe their shit opinions.

Around the Network

LMAO they dont count the switch as console

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

RolStoppable said:

Statcounter attempts to track what was used to visit internet websites. What the stats you picked are showing is not how many consoles are out there, but which consoles are used the most to visit internet websites. Switch doesn't have an internet browser, so that's basically Youtube visits because that's just about all that can be done with Switch.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I gotta call out CNBC for their misinformation now for using this to act like the Switch's OS market share is much lower than Sony & Microsoft since they were trying to downplay Nintendo's success with the Switch in favor of Apple Arcade & shitty Stadia.

It looks more likely that it is just browse usage. Which seems to be the case as Switch browser is hidden by default and only being used very rarely.

RolStoppable said:

Statcounter attempts to track what was used to visit internet websites. What the stats you picked are showing is not how many consoles are out there, but which consoles are used the most to visit internet websites. Switch doesn't have an internet browser, so that's basically Youtube visits because that's just about all that can be done with Switch.

I liked my explanation better

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

So the Switch is mostly used as a gaming console instead of a multipurpose device? Shocking.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.