Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are cutscenes in games dying?

Is the disparity between game and cutscene ending?

Yes 5 45.45%

No 6 54.55%

Don`t care, I skip all cutscenes. 0 0.00%

Total:11
BraLoD said:
hunter_alien said:

Same here... I love them. I know that's mostly nostalgia-driven, but still, they represent some trully fond memories of my childhood

When you got a cutscene back in the day it felt like a reward.

I know that is not happening anymore, but even so, if you make it prettier I won't mind it at all xD

Yupp it was... loved to rewatch them as well, if the game offered the opportunity, after finishing the game. I still remember drooling over how good some of the cutscenes were for Warrior Within and Splinter Cell. The 6th gen was probably the last gen where the difference between pre-rendered cutscenes and in-game footage were night and day

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

The Unreal Engine 5 demo already gave us the answer. The full Movie Quality assets will be used in game. They will be cut down in software based on the systems capabilities, but still, the system is working from raw assets. Cutscenes should have some advantages due to scripting, but for the most part in-game should be more equal to cutscenes than ever.

This will most likely be the case in all modern engines as the generation progresses. Microsoft and Sony 1st Party Studios and Engines will more than likely continue to be the pinnacle in parity between the two.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Cut scenes used to be separate videos, but these days they are mostly just rendered in realtime with the game engine. There isn't any particular reason to not put a high quality movie on the disk (apart possibly from the size), but the modern theory is that having a consistent look is important for immersion, so the game engine graphics are preferred.

As to whether cut scenes as a thing are dying: we are in the age of "not restricted by technology", so it's kind of up to the game designers if they want to include them.

I don't mind games having CGI/pre-rendered cut-scenes, but I always prefer when they're well done using the engine, and even moreso when they're running in real-time. Shows the strength of the engine and artistic prowess of the team making them.

Not CGI but I remember being in absolute awe when games like Ninja Gaiden and Golgo 13 would give you a lengthy cutscene. My friends would be like "Skip it" but for me, it was just amazing to see a video game presented in such a way. Like BraLoD said, it was a reward.

Since then, I've always leaned towards more cinematic games. I do prefer "in engine" stuff these days so I don't mind if CGI goes extinct. It used to be amazing but now it just looks out of place.

mZuzek loves to pre-order

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Not CGI but I remember being in absolute awe when games like Ninja Gaiden and Golgo 13 would give you a lengthy cutscene. My friends would be like "Skip it" but for me, it was just amazing to see a video game presented in such a way. Like BraLoD said, it was a reward.

Since then, I've always leaned towards more cinematic games. I do prefer "in engine" stuff these days so I don't mind if CGI goes extinct. It used to be amazing but now it just looks out of place.

[runs to backlog to check for a copy of Injustice 2...]

[smiles, yes Legendary Edition from holiday 2018 sale!!]

You made my day!!

In all seriousness, CGI isn't going anywhere. If it were, you'd be getting NO video games.

This is actually a good thing!

pariz said:
This is actually a good thing!

Cutscenes aren't dying though. You will simply see less pre-rendering added to games. It's all being moved to engines. That is a good thing! :)