By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are cutscenes in games dying?

Is the disparity between game and cutscene ending?

Yes 5 45.45%

No 6 54.55%

Don`t care, I skip all cutscenes. 0 0%

Total:11

Cut scenes used to be separate videos, but these days they are mostly just rendered in realtime with the game engine. There isn't any particular reason to not put a high quality movie on the disk (apart possibly from the size), but the modern theory is that having a consistent look is important for immersion, so the game engine graphics are preferred.

As to whether cut scenes as a thing are dying: we are in the age of "not restricted by technology", so it's kind of up to the game designers if they want to include them.

Around the Network

I don't mind games having CGI/pre-rendered cut-scenes, but I always prefer when they're well done using the engine, and even moreso when they're running in real-time. Shows the strength of the engine and artistic prowess of the team making them.

Not CGI but I remember being in absolute awe when games like Ninja Gaiden and Golgo 13 would give you a lengthy cutscene. My friends would be like "Skip it" but for me, it was just amazing to see a video game presented in such a way. Like BraLoD said, it was a reward.

Since then, I've always leaned towards more cinematic games. I do prefer "in engine" stuff these days so I don't mind if CGI goes extinct. It used to be amazing but now it just looks out of place.

[runs to backlog to check for a copy of Injustice 2...]

[smiles, yes Legendary Edition from holiday 2018 sale!!]

You made my day!!

This is actually a good thing!

Around the Network

i hate them... because it filled my memory cards for having multiple saves... close to my fave cutscenes LOL

BraLoD said:
hunter_alien said:

Same here... I love them. I know that's mostly nostalgia-driven, but still, they represent some trully fond memories of my childhood

When you got a cutscene back in the day it felt like a reward.

I know that is not happening anymore, but even so, if you make it prettier I won't mind it at all xD

Very goood stuff, I do remember being excited that I reached a cutscene and could save the game and give myself a pat on the back for reaching that checkpoint. And delighting myself with the CGI, that was when I started loving narrative heavy games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CGI-Quality said:
In all seriousness, CGI isn't going anywhere. If it were, you'd be getting NO video games.

Well I put cutscenes =´p

I don't want CGI to die.

When you say it is better to not have pre-rendered are you talking on technical side, quality side or on what I expect to be the answer it is less costly in both money and people to do it in engine so you don't create different assets (besides memory consumption).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:
Not CGI but I remember being in absolute awe when games like Ninja Gaiden and Golgo 13 would give you a lengthy cutscene. My friends would be like "Skip it" but for me, it was just amazing to see a video game presented in such a way. Like BraLoD said, it was a reward.

Since then, I've always leaned towards more cinematic games. I do prefer "in engine" stuff these days so I don't mind if CGI goes extinct. It used to be amazing but now it just looks out of place.

I guess we can make an exception if it's of a certain "Quality"! 

Last edited by d21lewis - on 10 June 2020

i hope so. i much prefer storytelling done from within the game through the gameplay itself. and i don’t mean those moments when they slow down your character and make you walk during dialogue.

at the same time though, i loved mgs4. so what do i know...