By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread (MC: 93 / OC: 93)

Tagged games:

BraLoD said:
Mnementh said:

That review got memed, because that sentence was hilarious. But you realize that exactly this example is countering your stance: No Pokemon game ever has been 90 or more in score, while God of War, TLOU and Uncharted all are above 90. Sony games score incredibly well. Even if another game sells millions more.

You mean the Pokemon games, that are 10 years behind the industry and constanly dropping in quality? Yeah.

Gen 2 deserved high scores at the time but they don't have Metacritic scores so they could have gotten it. Gen 1 would also likely score high because they started it all.

But Pokemon is the RPG franchise with maybe the most simplistic and mediocre storyline/dialogue ever, and nowdays is so far behind the current state of the industry its laughable to think it should be getting scores like TLoU, RDR or Zelda.

And as I said on the post you quoted, Sony games can score incredibly well, like its happening, but not as well as those other games that are labelled the same as they are (Rockstar, Mario/Zelda).

You have several outlets saying TLoU2 is the best game ever/from this gen, and yet it will not reach RDR2 and BotW scores, exactly as I said.

The difference is not big, but it exists, and it keeps proving itself time after time.

TLoU2 is not going to end as a 96, btw.

Maybe those games score better because the reviewers like them better. 

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
JWeinCom said:

Maybe those games score better because the reviewers like them better. 

Maybe, but then why do GTAV (97) and RDR2 (97) score better than TLoU (95) and GoW (94) and those games that scored lower are the ones that end up getting, by far, the most awards from those outlets in the end?

If they like it better those games should receive the most awards naturally as they received the higher agreggate scores as well, should't them?

On an outlet by outlet basis, no.  Different people review different games and goty awards are usually done by a panel, so it's pretty possible that a small difference in score may not predict who will win goty. A review is one person's opinion on a game, and doesn't necessarily reflect the site. I wrote for a gaming website a while back... I gave Skyward Sword a 10, which I stand by. 99% sure that wasn't our goty.

On an industry-wide basis, you should expect in general more goty awards for games that score higher... So if you have data that shows that's the case, then maybe.  With that being said so, when we're dealing with a 2-3% difference in the scores, the difference in goty awards should be pretty small as well.

Blood_Tears said:
Absolutely incredible scores! Also, TLoU2 now over takes Persona 5 Royal as the highest rated game and exclusive this year!

Those scores represent a nice FU to all the haters who came into any TLoU article with Sony is woke crap and posting leaks on purpose because they are salty. It will get even better for them when they see Neil Druckmann on stage with Geoff Keighley at the VGA’s to collect the Game of the Year award!

Half Life Alyx might block Neil's path.

BraLoD said:
JWeinCom said:

On an outlet by outlet basis, no.  Different people review different games and goty awards are usually done by a panel, so it's pretty possible that a small difference in score may not predict who will win goty. A review is one person's opinion on a game, and doesn't necessarily reflect the site. I wrote for a gaming website a while back... I gave Skyward Sword a 10, which I stand by. 99% sure that wasn't our goty.

On an industry-wide basis, you should expect in general more goty awards for games that score higher... So if you have data that shows that's the case, then maybe.  With that being said so, when we're dealing with a 2-3% difference in the scores, the difference in goty awards should be pretty small as well.

https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/?m=1

Pick the desired year in the list in the right.

Scroll down all the awards and see the total, outlet critics and reader awards.

2018: GoW had almost a third more GOTY awards from critics than RDR2. (126 to 97)

2013: TLoU had almost double the GOTY awards from critics than GTAV. (191 to 107)

The problem is that the dataset is not nearly the same.  God of War had 131 scored reviews that make up its metacrtic score.  Meanwhile, there are something like 250 outlets included as critics at that blog.  Assuming all 131 metacritic outlets that reviewed gow did a game of the year award, then still, half of the outlets on the blog are not part of the metacritic score.  The slight difference in metacritic scores, shouldn't be that predictive of how the goty should turn out when the difference was slight to begin with, and your sample is so different.

If you wanted to make the argument, you'd have to narrow the goty awards only to those being issued by sites that reviewed both games, and then look at that data.  Even then it shouldn't be incredibly predictive.

And of course, even if the data turned out the same with GOW still having 30% more goty awards, you'd have a chicken and the egg problem.  How could you conclude that reviewers were biased in giving lower scores rather than being biased when giving out goty awards?

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 12 June 2020

BraLoD said:

Their review should still take many days.

They work with monthly issues.

Ah okay, cheers.. will keep an eye out.

KLAMarine said:

No chance. The only game that really stands a chance is Cyberpunk 2077, but I doubt that will get 95+ reviews.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Blood_Tears said:
Absolutely incredible scores! Also, TLoU2 now over takes Persona 5 Royal as the highest rated game and exclusive this year!

Those scores represent a nice FU to all the haters who came into any TLoU article with Sony is woke crap and posting leaks on purpose because they are salty. It will get even better for them when they see Neil Druckmann on stage with Geoff Keighley at the VGA’s to collect the Game of the Year award!

Alyx is at 93.

hinch said:
BraLoD said:

Their review should still take many days.

They work with monthly issues.

Ah okay, cheers.. will keep an eye out.

KLAMarine said:

No chance. The only game that really stands a chance is Cyberpunk 2077, but I doubt that will get 95+ reviews.

I think you're forgetting about Sonic at the Olympic games for ios.

Riiight....

All these 10/10s. Holy shit. There are only a few genuine critical reviews. It's very sad how restricted the reviews are with showing any materials to emphasize their point. Skill Up's review about the game is as close to genuine as it gets. Naughty Dog is really dead to me.

This definitely feels like it will be one of those high review scores from critics while low scores from actual players.

Kowan said:
KLAMarine said:

Alyx is at 93.

Since when does Meta scores matter when it comes to GOTY?