By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kojima Disappointed With Metal Gear Solid 4

NJ5 said:

When this game comes out, many people will be interested to see if it does anything which doesn't seem possible on the 360. I for one don't think it will be above 360 level, except maybe for a few small details (after all both the Cell and 360's CPU are very powerful, but different so there are bound to be a few relative advantages and disadvantages of each).

IF Konami wanted to do a decent 360 port of this game, I'm pretty sure they'd be able to. Cut down on the uncompressed audio (which few benefit from anyway), maybe split the game in two DVDs if necessary, remove a few effects and add others (depending on the CPU strengths), and there they go.

Kojima doesn't apear to be a very money motivated individual  , I don't think he'll degrade MGS4 to play on the 360 for the sake of extra profit . 

Around the Network

This is just Kojima being hard on himself.

I'm positive the game will be nothing short of a masterpiece.

But I do know that fanboys of all kinds will jump on this quote as to why MGS4 will suck or something like that.

Let's remember this is the same man that maxed out Blu-Ray disc because he insisted on Uncompressed audio. So maybe there's just some technique he isn't using to get the most out of the PS3.

He should have released it on PC instead. He could had a much bigger headroom for his vision.

I dunno, the dvd I got from the MGS 2.0 thing from gamestop had a few video's on there that were absolutely insane... the graphics had this VERY realistic effect, it was almost creepy... if that is the final build of the game, it's already above and beyond anything I've seen on the PS3, which in my opinion is already a league above the 360... They would have to cut-down a LOT. A "toned down" port would ruin this game :P The metal gear franchise has always stood for excessive, and this iteration will be no different.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

i love that man

Around the Network

Everyone is blowing this out of proportion. Kojima always does this. His act is getting sort of old. He always claims that whatever MGS title he is working on is the last one. After doing that, he always complains about the hardware not being strong enough for his vision. He did the same thing with MGS2 on PS2.

How did Kojima manage to "fully utilize" the PS3 so early in it's lifespan ?

"

Well, where I work all of our Servers CPU's are utilized 100%. However, shitty code means our app will work very slow no matter if we are using 100% of the processing power.

By the excerpt of his statement he seems to be implying that their engine is perfect and can't be made more efficient to squeeze out better performance.

You should not take as the limit of what the Cell processor can do. It is the limit of what their current engine can do based on the amount of processing power the ps3 gives them right now. All code can be made more efficient to squeeze better performance out of the same processing power."

Kotaku user posted , I think that sums it all up. 

Feel bad that his vision wasn't accomplished, but MGS4 will be a masterpiece anyways.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

If his vision wasn't accomplished there will be another MGS game. Kojima is a man that sufferes from severe OCD.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

@BigJ, I'm not programmer, thats for damn sure, but I've heard and read so many things about both processors, and from what I've seen of insomniacs work, the PS3 still has PLENTY of headway. I don't know much about the general purpose uses for gaming, but when I hear people dumping graphics, physics, A.I., framerate, etc etc onto the SPE's, it seems to me that it's MUCH more accessible for gaming than some people want to accept. That combined with the PS3's streaming features and I can't see any aspect of dedicated 360 programming coming anywhere close to dedicated PS3 programming, and to boot they have a guaranteed hard drive.

The most technically impressive titles (to me) this generation have been on the PS3, be it the insane cutscenes with some of the greatest mo-cap I've ever seen, the sheer amount of on-screen detail, or the amount of constant activity going on at once, I just can't see it being chalked up to lazy 360 devs.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.