By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Unfixable Flaw Found in Thunderbolt Port - Unlocks any PC in Less Than 5 Minutes

Was there ever a need for Intels Thunderbolt port?

Nah, USB does everything it should. 6 100.00%

Yes, thunderbolt is a won... 0 0%

Total:6
Ljink96 said:
Thunderbolt defenders are probably, as we speak, coming up with ways they can spin this into something positive.

Thunderbolt is a protocol, it doesn't need defending. It stands for itself and will be used if deemed necessary. In this particular case you need hardware access and then tamper with the controller to remove all security. The controller isn't part of the protocol and neither are the devices that house the controllers. Thunderbolt is just a tool, the implementation is key. As are higher priority security measures.

Did you know that if you have hardware access to RAM you can just execute any code on it? Better get rid of all that dangerous RAM in our systems.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I think it's weird that they put emphasis on that it "cannot be patched by software". It should be easy to patch your OS and disable Thunderbolt until you are logged in. The OS should also be able to discern between power and data access from the port.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Louie said:
Ljink96 said:
Thunderbolt defenders are probably, as we speak, coming up with ways they can spin this into something positive.

Are there people who religiously defend a port? There's no way to spin this, this just sucks lol. Though I do like my notebook's Thunderbolt ports from a user experience. It's convenient to have one cable for my external monitor that also charges my notebook. 

Yeah, mostly crumbside though. They exist. It does have positives as you have mentioned but I guess its uses are valued from person to person. 

vivster said:
Ljink96 said:

Thunderbolt is a protocol, it doesn't need defending. It stands for itself and will be used if deemed necessary. In this particular case you need hardware access and then tamper with the controller to remove all security. The controller isn't part of the protocol and neither are the devices that house the controllers. Thunderbolt is just a tool, the implementation is key. As are higher priority security measures.

Did you know that if you have hardware access to RAM you can just execute any code on it? Better get rid of all that dangerous RAM in our systems.

Well, you make a good point with the RAM analogy. But the type of defending I'm referring to is on a pettier level, more in regards to brand loyalty where if something unsavory happens to their choice of hardware they will try to sugar coat it. 

Had it on my last laptop. Never used it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

any pc with thunderbolt

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Ljink96 said:
vivster said:

Well, you make a good point with the RAM analogy. But the type of defending I'm referring to is on a pettier level, more in regards to brand loyalty where if something unsavory happens to their choice of hardware they will try to sugar coat it. 

But that doesn't really fly anymore. Thunderbolt isn't only an Apple thing anymore, it's on most higher end notebooks too. Hell, it's not even an Intel thing anymore since it also comes with some AMD boards. And if all that isn't enough USB4 is basically just Thunderbolt, so soon literally everyone will be using Thunderbolt for everything. To start talking down on it or outright rejecting it would be quite silly.

vivster said:
Ljink96 said:

But that doesn't really fly anymore. Thunderbolt isn't only an Apple thing anymore, it's on most higher end notebooks too. Hell, it's not even an Intel thing anymore since it also comes with some AMD boards. And if all that isn't enough USB4 is basically just Thunderbolt, so soon literally everyone will be using Thunderbolt for everything. To start talking down on it or outright rejecting it would be quite silly.

This makes the issue even more worrying. But still if the flaw is taken care for devices made in 2020 and after then USB 4.0 may not have this flaw.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
vivster said:

This makes the issue even more worrying. But still if the flaw is taken care for devices made in 2020 and after then USB 4.0 may not have this flaw.

I would assume so.

Given physical access to a device, I’m sure anybody that knows what they are doing could find a way to get into it. If it was something that could be targeted wirelessly I would be concerned.