By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro gaming; emulation or real hardware?

I prefer...

Emulation 13 54.17%

Real hardware 11 45.83%

Total:24

For those of you who still enjoy playing games from multiple generations ago, do you prefer emulation, or the authenticity of using real hardware, and why?

Around the Network

Emulation. Sure real hardware offers a better experience, but the convenience factor is just huge. Not going to drag out my NES everytime I want to play Mega Man 2.

JWeinCom said:
Emulation. Sure real hardware offers a better experience, but the convenience factor is just huge. Not going to drag out my NES everytime I want to play Mega Man 2.

So that's when you drag your NES Classic out right?

Emulation. There's nothing like removing all the jaggies from Mario Galaxy to make it look fap worthy

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

sethnintendo said:
JWeinCom said:

Actually I'd probably just use my switch.  But isn't the NES classic still emulation?  I'm pretty sure it's not actual NES components, especially since I'm running GBA games on it.

Around the Network

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JWeinCom said:
sethnintendo said:

Actually I'd probably just use my switch.  But isn't the NES classic still emulation?  I'm pretty sure it's not actual NES components, especially since I'm running GBA games on it.

Yea emulation.  I was trying to combine your desire for emulation with hardware.  Actually I was just joking around.

sethnintendo said:
JWeinCom said:

Yea emulation.  I was trying to combine your desire for emulation with hardware.  Actually I was just joking around.

Joking or not, it does actually feel better somehow on the NES Classic.  Partly because of better emulation and partly for psychological reasons.

I definitely prefer real hardware.  There are a lot of really fun types of games that are just not made any more.  Most action games made nowadays are really boring to me.  It's because both the modern systems and the modern TVs have lag, so the games have to be designed with that lag in mind.  Old games require fast reflexes and you only get the full effect on original hardware.  

On top of that I actually am trying to get a "better than original" experience with a lot of my retro games.  I played most of those games with an RF or composite connection.  Now I have a TV that supports RGB.  The games look better than ever.  I also prefer using an arcade stick to a d-pad.  So, now I have this full set up and I can play retro gaming in style.

Given, I still do emulation when it is easier.  For example, I don't own a SNES, so I just play my SNES mini for the time being when I want a SNES game.  With original hardware I tend to get a new system once every year or two, so I rely on the mini consoles or the Switch online service if I want to play games where I don't yet have the original hardware.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 02 May 2020

I prefer Sonic Mania and N-Sane Trilogy on my tasty Switch, XBone, or PS4.