By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - CoD4 map pack smashes Halo to bits

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187209

Activision and Infinity Ward are in high-five overdrive today as both team report the CoD 4 Variety Map Pack has broken an XBL record for the number of paid downloads. Bye, bye Halo.

It's seen over a million downloads in the first nine days of its release; the pack arrived on Xbox Live Marketplace on April 4. We're guessing the previous record was held by either the first Halo 3 or Gears of War map pack.

"Infinity Ward is extremely grateful for support from our loyal Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare community around the world," says Rob 'community chap' Bowling. "From the beginning, we were committed to do our best and that continues now with the Variety Map Pack. We can't wait to get back online with everyone."

The Variety Map Pack includes four new multiplayer maps, and costs 800 Microsoft Points on Live. The same pack releases for PS3 on May 1, and it should be out for PC at some point.

Call of Duty 4 on 360's become the new multiplayer shooter of choice here at CVG Towers. Some of us are even rather good at it.

Around the Network

Sad, sad news. I can't believe people are paying for some maps that were ripped off from COD4's campaign...

I can believe people are paying. I wonder how many the new H3 map pack will sell in the same time frame.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

shio said:
Sad, sad news. I can't believe people are paying for some maps that were ripped off from COD4's campaign...
You didnt pay so whats the problem? 

I can believe people are complaining.

Around the Network
selnor said:
shio said:
You didnt pay so whats the problem?

The problem is now you'll see developers cut off content made throughout the games' development and make priced DLC. Good thing I'm a PC gamer, I will never get ripped off like that.

Kudos, Activision!

I can't believe people are saying bye bye Halo... Xbox 360 is shooter central so there isn't really a lack of competition you know.

Halo 3 will still demolish any shooter that comes to PS3/Wii for a long time when it comes to people online playing it.

It will be interesting how GTA4 DLC does...

But yeah, well done Infinity Ward...COD4 is a great game. (although as most hyped games...not as good as the sales would indicate)

shio said:
The problem is now you'll see developers cut off content made throughout the games' development and make priced DLC. Good thing I'm a PC gamer, I will never get ripped off like that.

Yeah, episodic content for every game, $15 a month for WoW, expansion packs for nearly every game. Your DEFINATELY not getting ripped off. PC developers have seen the light, and realized that add-on content NEVER worked in the PC market.

Oh wait, the reason we have Console DLC is because of PC Developers!

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I downloaded both the COD4 maps and the Halo 3 maps.

The COD4 maps are kinda lame. Nothing special, harkens back to OLD call of duty games. Not what i was expecting for the superior of the two shooters, and no more unlocks was also a dissapointment considering i have all golden guns unlocked.

Halo 3 was basicly ENTIRELY for sidewinder's remake. I know a LOT of you halo 2 people LOVE lockout but I'm all about taking out vehicles. I ended up playing that more.

friend code Wii: 1974 0901 4063 4699

360 Live SN: Myahon

PSN: Myahon