By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dead in the Water: Sakura Wars and Trails of Mana; will either survive?

We have two niche JRPG's releasing in the same  month in which not one, not two, but THREEE megatons are also releasing: Animal Crossing, Resident Evil 3 and Final Fantasy 7; what a month to be a video game that is not those 3. I'm not leaning..heavily towards, dead in the for both but what general concensus?

Sakura Wars:

Pros: Looks to be a high quality game with a genre shift that may attract new fans

Cons: A niche series with a genre shift that may have killed any interest from old fans.

Trails of Mana

Pros: Releasing on two consoles

Cons:  Definitely a Budget vibe. Biggest complaint post demo.

2 Questions:

1. Will either sell over 100k in the west?

2. Will YOU be buying either at least within a month of release?

***Bonus question for those own both consoles***:

3. If you had to buy one, which would it be

Around the Network

Sales probably gonna be lower than usual tbh.

JRPGfan said:

*sigh* You have two, maybe 3 questions to answer and you answered none.

I wanted to try Sakura Wars, but it's not on the Switch, and all Sega games that come to PC end up with Denuvo, so they are a no for me.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I think Mana has a bit more name recognition so it'll do better than Sakura. Also, offtopic but I hate the new character designs for Sakura Wars. The originals from the 90's look so much better.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
I know literally nothing about Sakura Wars, I've heard of the name, but that's it... as for Trials of Mana, it's a game I'm definitely getting down the line, but not in a rush to get it anytime soon, unless the price tanks within the first month lol. As for how much they'll sell, I'm guessing close to fuck all, not only in the west, but just worldwide in general. Sakura Wars seems like it's just come out of nowhere, never heard anything of a PS4 release until like a couple of weeks ago or something, and even still have no idea what it's about, what the gameplay is like or what, lol. So I guess that answers the question of what game I'll pick... Trials of Mana since as I've said, I WILL be getting it eventually :P

Sakura Wars is a long running turn based tactics RPG with visual novel elements. This Sakura Wars is reboot that changes the game into into action rpg (check the combat trailer). Sakura Wars already released in Japan to good sales (though Sega said they wanted alittle bit more) 

Xxain said:
JRPGfan said:

*sigh* You have two, maybe 3 questions to answer and you answered none.

1. Will either sell over 100k in the west?
maybe Trails of mana, but probably not by much.

2. Will YOU be buying either at least within a month of release?
Nope.

3. If you had to buy one, which would it be?
Trails of Mana.

I'm getting both at launch.

Last edited by Leynos - on 04 April 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Animal Crossing already came out 2 weeks ago.
I believe Trials of Mana will sell more for a few reasons. RE3 and FF7R are releasing on PS4 along with Trails of Mana, so Sakura Wars has to compete against 3 games. Trials of Mana is on 3 different platforms, so more sales. Switch which has nothing really interesting other than Mana this month. Steam will get RE3, but that's it's main competition. Also this is a Re-imagining of the original Trials of Mana which never came out in the West until last year, which is considered the best Mana game so JRPG fans will be all over this.

Also I'll be getting Trials of Mana.

Sogreblute said:
Animal Crossing already came out 2 weeks ago.
I believe Trials of Mana will sell more for a few reasons. RE3 and FF7R are releasing on PS4 along with Trails of Mana, so Sakura Wars has to compete against 3 games. Trials of Mana is on 3 different platforms, so more sales. Switch which has nothing really interesting other than Mana this month. Steam will get RE3, but that's it's main competition. Also this is a Re-imagining of the original Trials of Mana which never came out in the West until last year, which is considered the best Mana game so JRPG fans will be all over this.

Also I'll be getting Trials of Mana.

1. Animal Crossing is massive and I expect buyers to be satisfied with it for more than few weeks(wont be spending more money). That goes for RE3 and FF7 as well. Personally I am buying Final Fantasy 7 and will not be buying another console game until I am done with it.

2. Trails of Mana being the best entry in the series only matters to the people who follow the series; its a petty niche. So the benefits of being a remake of an entry that is considered the best will not carry it far especially when the low budget shows.