By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YouTube no longer considers 720p as high-definition...

Do you consider 720p to be a viable res for gaming in 2020?

Yes 27 55.10%

No 22 44.90%

Total:49

Given the runaway success of the Switch despite having plenty of games running at 720p or even lower, it seems a lot of people are fine with it.

Around the Network

If any of you think 720p is a standard definition, you don't know what a CRT TV is.

- Ultra High Definition(UHD) or 4k is becoming the today standard and it is one HD format, but it doesn't mean the same as HD.
- Full HD or 1080p is another HD standard, being full because the support of progressive scan in 1920x1080 rather than interlaced scan and not because it was "true" HD.
- 1080i carries less data (540 lines) than a 720p signal in the same amount of time (1/60 of a second or 60fps). For 1080i, the 540 lines are interlaced but taking the double amount of time (1/30 of a second or 30fps). That is why 1080i for movies may be good but for gaming is just an awful and inferior option compared to 720p in every way.
- Enhanced Definition is for progressive 480p TV sets, usually a term used to differentiate those from 480i TV at the middle of the 2000s.

The FACT is that HD is any resolution higher than 640x480 or 768x576; being 720p one of them in any resolution combination.

Lots of people here complain about 720p being blurry and that's because they feed this signal to a higher resolution TV/monitor that does an upscale to full screen. And it will be uglier if the display is very large and close to the viewer. It is a hard fact. Any flat screen will lower the quality of the video feed if it has to upscale. All flat sets have a fixed native resolution. This is the same PS3 vs 360 output resolutions debate all over again.

Any native resolution higher than 720p will contain more details and data, therefore superior. But that doesn't mean 720p is obsolete, worst or not HD.

Only God knows why Youtube delisted 720p as Hd, maybe it is because they lowered the stream data details to accommodate more bandwidth, but that is another thing apart from resolution.

Last edited by alexxonne - on 01 April 2020

alexxonne said:

The FACT is that HD is any resolution higher than 640x480 or 768x576; being 720p one of them in any resolution combination.

You capitalized "FACT", so does that mean that this is what the literal definition of HD is?

Because I have a hard time accepting that my very first computer was hooked up to an HD monitor, a bulky, 4:3 CRT that maxed out at 800x600, running on an analog signal that provided a less than perfect picture and a flicker that was mesmerizing.

Maybe it was just ahead of it's time.

I jest. But yeah, it is certainly difficult to provide a definition to something that we all know and understand, but don't truly have a specific metric for. Looking back, the term "HD", which we are all familiar with, referred to the transition between old, CRT television sets and the newer, HDTV models which were capable of displaying a digital signal.

I wonder though. Maybe there's a reason YT removed the HD tag from 720p. I don't know the specifics, but when streaming YouTube over LTE, you are restricted to streaming in lower resolutions. Maybe this change is related to that, where YouTube is re-categorizing their streaming options in order to provide higher quality LTE streams.

RaptorChrist said:
alexxonne said:

You capitalized "FACT", so does that mean that this is what the literal definition of HD is?

Because I have a hard time accepting that my very first computer was hooked up to an HD monitor, a bulky, 4:3 CRT that maxed out at 800x600, running on an analog signal that provided a less than perfect picture and a flicker that was mesmerizing.

I jest. But yeah, it is certainly difficult to provide a definition to something that we all know and understand, but don't truly have a specific metric for. Looking back, the term "HD", which we are all familiar with, referred to the transition between old, CRT television sets and the newer, HDTV models which were capable of displaying a digital signal.

I wonder though. Maybe there's a reason YT removed the HD tag from 720p. I don't know the specifics, but when streaming YouTube over LTE, you are restricted to streaming in lower resolutions. Maybe this change is related to that, where YouTube is re-categorizing their streaming options in order to provide higher quality LTE streams.

You had 1080P CRT monitors in the mid 90's.
You had 4k or greater displays in 2001 when the PS2 thought it was cool at 480P.

HD is the resolution, not the technology like CRT or LCD.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Oh 720p, you'll always be High Definition in my heart. :(

John2290 said:
My speed test is in at 15 Mbps. :( This Pandemic is taking it's toll.

That's lightning fast by Australian standards; mine is currently 9Mbps and this is good day for it.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 April 2020

Around the Network
RaptorChrist said:
alexxonne said:

I see a point in your response. And yes, is somewhat literal, but is a standard concept. Believe it or not 800x600 is a high definition resolution compared to 480i/p back then and still is. A lot of today portable devices(smartwatch) use that resolution as a base. I guess people are getting confused with high definition vs high quality video feed, Size vs Resolution, and Analogue vs digital signal. CRT tended to be small, but with LCD the bigger displays required higher resolutions to outperform CRT.

Something I too realized is that I was playing already in HD 720+ (at 1024p), long before the 360 or PS3 arrived. For example I was playing battlefield 1942/ BFvietnam/BF2, combat flight simulators, DOOM 3, FFXI, RTCW, etc in 1280x1024 resolution, which translates to a 30% higher pixel count and 30% higher resolution details compared to 720p(wide). Back then monitors and resolutions with a 4:3 aspect ratio were a common standard. LCD and wide monitors changed all that, but it didn't immediately surpassed CRT technology until 1080p panels started to show up. For LCD panels a wide aspect ratio was essential, and with it size vs weight...people overtime made the change, specially with digital video/audio data transmission vs analogue signal. But CRT technology still to this day is superior to any LCD set in some areas like response time (0ms), black levels (infinite), color gradient (blending) and no upscaling (scans range between acceptable resolutions with No distortion/ no pixelation/ no lag). A high end CRT with HD resolutions can rival an OLED HDTV easy, and that is not an overstatement,...problem is...SIZE, hehe.

Last edited by alexxonne - on 01 April 2020

John2290 said:
curl-6 said:

Oh 720p, you'll always be High Definition in my heart. :(

That's lightning fast by Australian standards; mine is currently 9MBps and this is good day for it.

Ouch, so that's like 2 or 3 Mbps? I remember cursing that capital B when I got locked into a contract back in the day. I feel ya, man. 

No, that was a typo by me, it's 9Mbps. Still, I'm paying top dollar for one of the best internet services money can buy here, and this is what you get on a fast day. Our internet is prehistoric because our idiotic government decided that this was acceptable and butchered our National Broadband Network.

curl-6 said:
John2290 said:

Ouch, so that's like 2 or 3 Mbps? I remember cursing that capital B when I got locked into a contract back in the day. I feel ya, man. 

No, that was a typo by me, it's 9Mbps. Still, I'm paying top dollar for one of the best internet services money can buy here, and this is what you get on a fast day. Our internet is prehistoric because our idiotic government decided that this was acceptable and butchered our National Broadband Network.

Hearing you. Sucks being limited to only 66Mbps on the NBN.

But loving this infinitely more than the old 14Mbps ADSL 2+ I used to have. (Which ironically is faster than your NBN connection!!!)

Are you on fixed wireless or something?

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

But loving this infinitely more than the old 14Mbps ADSL 2+ I used to have. (Which ironically is faster than your NBN connection!!!)

Our area's still not on NBN; not looking forward to what I'm told is a very painful process of changing over in the next couple months.

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

Our area's still not on NBN; not looking forward to what I'm told is a very painful process of changing over in the next couple months.

Was smooth and trouble-free for me. Hopefully you win the node lottery.