By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY step up their games on PS Now, They are preparing to compete with Xbox Game Pass on next gen

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Of course I would. If Sony's willing to give me all their AAA exclusives on day one for free, that would be great! But like I said, in the beginning I would much rather see Sony focus on growing the ps5 installbase so we get the best support from developers. The first couple of years are pretty important as that will determine if developers decide to develop games specifically for a next gen console or not. If the install base isn't growing as expected, they will likely not risk it and make their games cross-gen instead, while likely targeting current gen as the base platform.

That's my only problem with GP. Giving away games for free is fantastic but not if it comes at the expense of building a next gen install base. With MS making all their 1st party games available on a ton of different devices, they're giving consumers a lot less incentive to migrate to Series X, even less so if they are planning to sell it for $599 or more. If series X sales tank because of it, it will basically be all on Sony to build a next gen install base early on. Which means it will probably take much longer before the major 3rd party developers completely switch focus to true next gen titles.

You realize you need consoles to build the GP/PSNow instal base? It’s in MSs best interests to sell consoles to have a bigger pool of potential subscribers. Xcloud is in beta and far from all gamers use Pc. 
Series X is like the Xbox X or PS4 Pro, the premier gamers console. Lockhart is the mass market one...lol it’s precious you still ignore that. 

But I’m glad you at least see the value in day 1 exclusives. 

Of course they do. The difference, however, is that Sony will do a complete reset where they'll leave ps4 behind and have to build a whole new installbase from scratch. MS on the other hand isn't starting from scratch as they're trying to tap into their old userbase of the X1 and pc gamers. That's why selling Series X consoles is a lot less important for MS than Sony selling ps5's or them building GP subscribers. We will see about Lockhart. I haven't heard anything about it, so there's not much to talk about. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 06 March 2020

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
goopy20 said:
Will never understand why MS is calling Gamepass the dna of their next gen strategy, when Sony can just copy paste the whole thing. I just hope they aren't going to put their ps5 exclusives on there from day one and make them cross gen with ps4, though.

No they can't just copy-paste.
Microsoft has spent years and billions of dollars designing and building Azure, that cannot be replicated by a smaller company like Sony overnight.

I don't see what in Gamepass can't be copied due to azure (even more with Sony already partnering for use of Azure), if we were talking about Xcloud ok, and on that PSNow come a lot earlier.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

You realize you need consoles to build the GP/PSNow instal base? It’s in MSs best interests to sell consoles to have a bigger pool of potential subscribers. Xcloud is in beta and far from all gamers use Pc. 
Series X is like the Xbox X or PS4 Pro, the premier gamers console. Lockhart is the mass market one...lol it’s precious you still ignore that. 

But I’m glad you at least see the value in day 1 exclusives. 

Of course they do. The difference, however, is that Sony will do a complete reset where they'll leave ps4 behind and have to build a whole new installbase from scratch. MS on the other hand isn't starting from scratch as they're trying to tap into their old userbase of the X1 and pc gamers. That's why selling Series X consoles is a lot less important for MS than Sony selling ps5's or them building GP subscribers. We will see about Lockhart. I haven't heard anything about it, so there's not much to talk about. 

Lol we get it, you don’t agree with MSs strategy. Lockhart has been a rumour for over a year with multiple leaks. Funny how some obscure quotes you are Really on top of but important reports like this aren’t. In no way is Series X the mainstream console, it’s clearly gonna be too expensive. Get ready to change your narrative once it’s officially announced. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Lol we get it, you don’t agree with MSs strategy. Lockhart has been a rumour for over a year with multiple leaks. Funny how some obscure quotes you are Really on top of but important reports like this aren’t. In no way is Series X the mainstream console, it’s clearly gonna be too expensive. Get ready to change your narrative once it’s officially announced. 

Well, yeah I don't like MS strategy. Not saying it's a bad decision and I'm sure not everybody will agree with me. It all depends, if you're not interested in next gen it's great. But if you are, it's pretty terrible. I also don't see how Lockhart will change anything. It just means their exclusives will have to run on 1 more console. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 07 March 2020

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Well, yeah I don't like MS strategy. Not saying it's a bad decision and I'm sure not everybody will agree with me. It all depends, if you're not interested in next gen it's great. But if you are, it's pretty terrible. I also don't see how Lockhart will change anything. It just means their exclusives will have to run on 1 more console. 

I’m pretty excited for next gen :)

Like Sony never released a base console and a pro version before....oh wait. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Well not at the same time, no. 

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Well not at the same time, no. 

That doesn’t really make a difference when they release, so long as they did it.