By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ocarina of Time vs Final Fantasy 7

I prefer...

Ocarina of Time 105 58.33%

Final Fantasy 7 75 41.67%

Total:180
Valdney said:
I am a big, big fan of Nintendo franchises, specially Zelda but, OoT is one of the most overrated games of all time. It's linear, puzzle infested and too easy. OoT to me marks the beginning of the decline of Zelda up until the incredible comeback with BotW.

On the other hand FF7 is probably my favorite Jrpg of all time.

Puzzle infested? The puzzles were the point for that game.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Valdney said:
I am a big, big fan of Nintendo franchises, specially Zelda but, OoT is one of the most overrated games of all time. It's linear, puzzle infested and too easy. OoT to me marks the beginning of the decline of Zelda up until the incredible comeback with BotW.

On the other hand FF7 is probably my favorite Jrpg of all time.

Indeed. The puzzles and the boss battles...(which are puzzles themselves) are what Zelda has been largely about (exploration being another). I don't think he is a real Zelda fan lol

deskpro2k3 said:
Vodacixi said:

"Is still impactful even today". Okay: how so? I'm genuinely curious.

* snips out the trash *

Are you serious?

This looks like a reaction to the remake, not the original.

deskpro2k3 said:
SammyGiireal said:

Just don't want to come across as a hater, because I really love FFVII, it did a lot of great things. In this argument though I am just defending my point that OoT was the better game. I am being pretty open minded about this, I understand that some people only care about story, or perhaps value story greatly over other categories, and to them, I guess FFVII could be the greatest of all time (Xenogears also has an argument there). 

Like I said, I loved them both, and I could Write essays about what made both so great. But I don't know that many people that got to play Ocarina back in 1998 would deny that it was the most ground breaking experience of their video gaming lives to that point. Perhaps only Mario 64 in 1996 has a better argument in that particular claim, but I am not sure. 

I'm not denying that OoT have better gameplay, but this whole petty argument started because I said nobody has really seen FF7, and then it was about legos, and right now it's about fighting games because a certain someone went berserk.

Well I mean, saying someone has never "seen" Final Fantasy VII is kind of a pointless thing to say, as the remake might differ greatly.  You might be seeing two different games based on the same world from two totally separate generations.

Like I still play PS1 games.  So if I decide to pass on the remake due to garbage episodic structure or gameplay decisions I may or may not agree with, are you saying I did not really "play" Final Fantasy VII?

I have seen Final Fantasy VII on Playstation, which is the version we are talking about.  Trying to drag imagination into a discussion about visuals just kills all credibility to arguments you may have had.  And trying to use another current gen reimagining to back it up is asinine.  By your logic, I can say "even less people have seen Ocarina of Time, because they have not even remade it on current gen machines yet" and be just as valid.

I get what you are trying to say, I do.  But what you don't get is that the point you are trying desperately to make has no place in a discussion comparing an N64 and a PS1 game.  Imagination, which is subject, does not change the objective visual quality provided by the tech in any game.  That is just not how it works.

Just my two cents.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I'm not denying that OoT have better gameplay, but this whole petty argument started because I said nobody has really seen FF7, and then it was about legos, and right now it's about fighting games because a certain someone went berserk.

Well I mean, saying someone has never "seen" Final Fantasy VII is kind of a pointless thing to say, as the remake might differ greatly.  You might be seeing two different games based on the same world from two totally separate generations.

Like I still play PS1 games.  So if I decide to pass on the remake due to garbage episodic structure or gameplay decisions I may or may not agree with, are you saying I did not really "play" Final Fantasy VII?

I have seen Final Fantasy VII on Playstation, which is the version we are talking about.  Trying to drag imagination into a discussion about visuals just kills all credibility to arguments you may have had.  And trying to use another current gen reimagining to back it up is asinine.  By your logic, I can say "even less people have seen Ocarina of Time, because they have not even remade it on current gen machines yet" and be just as valid.

I get what you are trying to say, I do.  But what you don't get is that the point you are trying desperately to make has no place in a discussion comparing an N64 and a PS1 game.  Imagination, which is subject, does not change the objective visual quality provided by the tech in any game.  That is just not how it works.

Just my two cents.

I agree. Anyone who played FFVII back in the 90s, already "saw" the game, to say other wise is to actually discredit the original game which ironically they were trying to defend. 

The remake looks spectacular for 2020, but the episodic content thing, and perhaps if it doesn't play like it should could hurt it. I think the Remake has big shoes to fill, and I doubt it will have the same impact that the original had in 1997.

If I doesn't get above a 90 metacritc reception, the Original will still be the one most people remember when talking about ATG games.

Around the Network
SammyGiireal said:
KLAMarine said:

Indeed. The puzzles and the boss battles...(which are puzzles themselves) are what Zelda has been largely about (exploration being another). I don't think he is a real Zelda fan lol

Is the original Legend of Zelda about puzzles? No. Is Zelda 2 about puzzles? No. Is A Link To The Past about Puzzles? A little bit I guess, but overall, no.

Zelda did not start with the massive overrated OoT.

Valdney said:
SammyGiireal said:

Is the original Legend of Zelda about puzzles? No. Is Zelda 2 about puzzles? No. Is A Link To The Past about Puzzles? A little bit I guess, but overall, no.

I'd say that puzzles play a very large part in the first one, and even more in LTTP.  Not so much in Zelda 2, but Zelda 2 is pretty clearly the oddball of the family.

Valdney said:
SammyGiireal said:

It did not, but AlttP is the best 2-D Zelda, though I have a certain affinity for a Link's Awakening, and OoT took the best of it and of Zelda 2 and translated into 3-D perfection. Ocarina is overrated in your opinion, which is frankly in the minority.

My biggest Gripe with OoT is that the game's difficulty is manly based on its puzzles and, once you know the solution to them it makes every other playthrough way too easy and boring.

I love the world and lore of OoT, I still have a copy of the game's manual, but I just can't replay it. There's no challenge in it for me.

Valdney said:
My biggest Gripe with OoT is that the game's difficulty is manly based on its puzzles and, once you know the solution to them it makes every other playthrough way too easy and boring.

I love the world and lore of OoT, I still have a copy of the game's manual, but I just can't replay it. There's no challenge in it for me.

By the same rationale though, couldn't one say that Zelda I is too easy and boring once you know the location of everything, which bushes to burn etc?  To some extent, any game that doesn't rely on pure reflexes is going to have that issue. 

Plus, I can't remember most of the puzzle solutions.  Maybe the problem is just that you didn't smoke enough weed :p.