By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Dreams Review Thread (88 Metacritic /90 Opencritic Average)

DonFerrari said:
Vodacixi said:
As of right now, Dreams is nothing more than a "proof of concept" creator. "You can do a platformer". "You can wall jump". "You can make a shooter". "You can fly". But no one actually makes a full experience out of that.

Until that happens, Dreams has no interest for me. I'm not a creator. Just like with Mario Maker, I want to play what others can make with this. But its been a year and I still feel like a teacher at elementary school looking at the kids science projects. They are curious, but mostly simple and they end in a blink.

If this is supposed to be a tool to create worlds... Then people should prove it. But not by creating a few seconds/minutes long demonstrations where we control an already existing character. I think we got enough of that already.

I'm sorry if I'm being... too harsh. I just keep reading how this is game is the second coming of Christ, but all I see are half baked demos.

For the ones that don't like building it need at least a good 20-40h campaign made with dreams itself or like 4-5 different type of games made inside it each over 4h of duration.

Although I mentioned time a lot in my previous post... I think is more about what the creations are. For the most part, they just show a mechanic. Or a genre. Or they replicate the visuals of an already existing franchise. But there is hardly a purpose. It's just a big "HEY, LOOK AT THIS COOL THING I CAN DO WITH DREAMS!". But I can't *play* those. They are just for show. Not play. And the few "games" that actually exist are just very tiny and short experiences that emulate already existing games. Just... with a cheaper look and more clunky controls. And all of that really makes me back down from Dreams entirely.

It's not about creating a 40 hours single player campaign. It's about creating something meaningful and unique in any way. If I saw... I don't know, a FPS where every time you kill something you take permanent damage, so you have to choose which enemies you kill and which you let alive... or a full cinematic experience with a wonderful story... or a rhythm based platforming game where the world around you gets more and more vibrant and colorful the better you keep the rhythm going... I wouldn't care if it has cheap graphics or if the controls feel clunky or if it's a 15 minutes games. At least I would be playing something with purpose (just to be clear, all of this are examples I just thought real quick, maybe they are too hard to create xD). And Dreams (and the people who create things with Dreams) totally fails at that.

Then again, I don't want to be too harsh. I get it: the game just transitioned from being an early acces to a full title. And the people who play this are not game developers. I understand. But the reasons are irrelevant. Dreams is what it is. And I don't see the incredible world creator that many people insist it is.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
DonFerrari said:

For the ones that don't like building it need at least a good 20-40h campaign made with dreams itself or like 4-5 different type of games made inside it each over 4h of duration.

Although I mentioned time a lot in my previous post... I think is more about what the creations are. For the most part, they just show a mechanic. Or a genre. Or they replicate the visuals of an already existing franchise. But there is hardly a purpose. It's just a big "HEY, LOOK AT THIS COOL THING I CAN DO WITH DREAMS!". But I can't *play* those. They are just for show. Not play. And the few "games" that actually exist are just very tiny and short experiences that emulate already existing games. Just... with a cheaper look and more clunky controls. And all of that really makes me back down from Dreams entirely.

It's not about creating a 40 hours single player campaign. It's about creating something meaningful and unique in any way. If I saw... I don't know, a FPS where every time you kill something you take permanent damage, so you have to choose which enemies you kill and which you let alive... or a full cinematic experience with a wonderful story... or a rhythm based platforming game where the world around you gets more and more vibrant and colorful the better you keep the rhythm going... I wouldn't care if it has cheap graphics or if the controls feel clunky or if it's a 15 minutes games. At least I would be playing something with purpose (just to be clear, all of this are examples I just thought real quick, maybe they are too hard to create xD). And Dreams (and the people who create things with Dreams) totally fails at that.

Then again, I don't want to be too harsh. I get it: the game just transitioned from being an early acces to a full title. And the people who play this are not game developers. I understand. But the reasons are irrelevant. Dreams is what it is. And I don't see the incredible world creator that many people insist it is.

We are talking two different things.

I'm saying the game should already have single player experience available and ready.

You are saying you want to see what users have created (that will take time).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:
Media Molecule is pretty good at the “build it yourself” genre....what’s this genre called?

Eat. Pray. Love. Play. Create. Share.

Signature goes here!

Keiji said:

The WipEout creation at 1min54 is fantastic :

Vodacixi said:
As of right now, Dreams is nothing more than a "proof of concept" creator. "You can do a platformer". "You can wall jump". "You can make a shooter". "You can fly". But no one actually makes a full experience out of that.

Until that happens, Dreams has no interest for me. I'm not a creator. Just like with Mario Maker, I want to play what others can make with this. But its been a year and I still feel like a teacher at elementary school looking at the kids science projects. They are curious, but mostly simple and they end in a blink.

If this is supposed to be a tool to create worlds... Then people should prove it. But not by creating a few seconds/minutes long demonstrations where we control an already existing character. I think we got enough of that already.

I'm sorry if I'm being... too harsh. I just keep reading how this is game is the second coming of Christ, but all I see are half baked demos.

I checked out the Reddit for this game and while there are plenty impressive looking things on there, I came away underwhelmed. If these are supposed to be the hardcore insiders, most motivated to get into the creation side, then what is average Joe going to produce and muddle the discovery engine with. When the pros have issues with the fiddly controls, steep learning curve of the tools and huge time sink to create anything beyond a quick sketch, it doesn't sound like it will appeal to the masses.

As for the Wipeout demo, sure the ship looks like Wipeout, everything else feels off. The movement is completely wrong which is usually the problem when people start re-creating existing things.

It is interesting and since it will get PSVR support I will get it some time. It's not something that's a must day one, rather the opposite due to lack of a great single player campaign to get you into the game. If i get this day one it will end up the same way as LBP3, get disappointed by the campaign, do a quick browse of user stuff and find nothing but half baked early nonsense and never touch it again. It's the end of the gen and HDD space is very limited to have something sitting around waiting :/

psnation 10/10

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Vodacixi said:

We are talking two different things.

I'm saying the game should already have single player experience available and ready.

You are saying you want to see what users have created (that will take time).

Oops, I read your post completely wrong. My apologies.

And I don't know if the campaign should be THAT long... but definetely longer than what Media Molecule did.

9/10

Early impressions were always fantastic for it.... however it seems like alot of people were sleeping on it.

Massive sleeper hit, incomeing.

I have a feeling this will have stellar reviews for what it is but I am not aware of any heavy marketing pushes by Sony. That and most gamers don’t have the patience to create the things I’ve seen imo. Ultimately this game won’t be able to touch the genre leader (Minecraft) in terms of accessibility, price, and charm. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

I have a feeling this will have stellar reviews for what it is but I am not aware of any heavy marketing pushes by Sony. That and most gamers don’t have the patience to create the things I’ve seen imo. Ultimately this game won’t be able to touch the genre leader (Minecraft) in terms of accessibility, price, and charm. 

Accessibility I can agre, price is similar considering type of product, charm I would say Dreams have bucketloads over plain color boxes of Minecraft.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."