By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

John2290 said:
Nautilus said:

Because of two reasons:

People are scared, and scared people do stupid shit.

And most politics have that little dictator inside them, which now is the perfect excuse to let them out and abuse a bit of their power.

Well, they are fucking themselves (and the rest of us) in the long run. People won't put up with this for too long, especially when it gets bad and yeah, it's not nearly as bad as it is going to get. This is fucking Christmas compared to what it's going to be in the next few months. They should be holding their load for when the back end of the storm hits.

Of course it will get worse.That's why I have been saying from the beginning that the virus would be the least of our worries and all those measures being taken are too extreme.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Defunding the WHO is like cutting your hand off because it gave you the middle finger.

Spoke, let China, India, etc... pickup the USA's shortfall. They can afford it. The WHO will live on.

vivster said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

In fact, I have a theory that he wants to end the lockdown not because of fear for the economy (though in an election year, that will hurt him a lot, too), but mainly because his hotels are suffering - and thus his baseline.

It's not a theory anymore when it's proven beyond doubt.

Did he come out and say it?

Nighthawk117 said:
There is no need for the USA to be the WHO's largest donor when we already fund our CDC with $11b a year. All the other countries can foot the bill for the WHO.

Pretty silly to assume the CDC will get everything right going forward though... It is always smarter to work with multiple agencies rather than drop all your eggs in one basket.

Plus WHO provides a ton of logistical support and pathways of communication and information dissemination, it's about getting all of the worlds participating countries to work together to fight against an issue... If the Coronavirus is any example, some countries have done really well and those countries provide their successful methods to the WHO, who then go forth and work with less successful countries like the United States.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

SpokenTruth said:
SvennoJ said:

Oh man, she's still there. I hope her parents pull through without complications. Is she staying there on her parent's advice or is she not allowed to go back? I guess she would have to stay quarantined with them if she went back :/

Your son probably doesn't mind having his girlfriend there with him :) She must be worried sick though. What a mess. Is there a way to extend her visitor's visa? I don't know whether Canadians are exempt from that. We used to not even need a passport to cross the border before 9/11.

Their symptoms seem on the mild side so we expect they will be Ok but she will have to be quarantined for 14 days when she eventually goes back.

I don't know how longer her Visa is good for.  I'll check tonight.  I have to imagine that grace periods will be applied given the circumstances.

My understanding is that you can still drive to Canada (and Canada to the US) without passport/visa.  But if you fly or go by train, you need them.

It seems you need an enhanced drivers license for that which you can apply for. Or other fast passes, like a Nexus card. I also read that Canadian tourists can stay up to 6 months in the USA, not the 3 I thought it was. She should be fine for a while longer.

SpokenTruth said:
Nighthawk117 said:

Spoke, let China, India, etc... pickup the USA's shortfall. They can afford it. The WHO will live on.

I just have a problem with cutting funding to an organization that saves millions of lives every year in the middle of the worst pandemic in 100 years all because of someone's ego.

You want to cut funding?  Fine, BUT FUCKING WAIT FOR THE PANDEMIC TO BE OVER.

Further, he may not even have the power to do it.  He might be able to re-appropriate the remaining WHO fiscal year funds to state and local medical allotments but a full on cancellation of WHO funding is not in his power.  He can ask Congress to do it but even Republicans are giving Trump hell for this....so that's not happening.  This is nothing more than a mix of retaliation for ego damage and political points with his re-election in the balance.   And because this directly impacts the lives of millions around the world to appease his ego and politics, I have words to say about it that are best not repeated on this forum.

I'll be blunt. People. Will. Die. Period. And Trump doesn't care.  To him it's just a bunch of "shithole" countries that mooch on us.

Spoke, I hate Trump as much as you do. And we both know he will lose in November, however, c'mon with this virus it seems like

the WHO has been more like the: CHO, as in the China Health Organization. 

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
vivster said:

It's not a theory anymore when it's proven beyond doubt.

Did he come out and say it?

Nighthawk117 said:
There is no need for the USA to be the WHO's largest donor when we already fund our CDC with $11b a year. All the other countries can foot the bill for the WHO.

Pretty silly to assume the CDC will get everything right going forward though... It is always smarter to work with multiple agencies rather than drop all your eggs in one basket.

Plus WHO provides a ton of logistical support and pathways of communication and information dissemination, it's about getting all of the worlds participating countries to work together to fight against an issue... If the Coronavirus is any example, some countries have done really well and those countries provide their successful methods to the WHO, who then go forth and work with less successful countries like the United States.

The US CDC is not perfect....nothing is these days...but, they do care about my country more than the biased WHO.

The reported deaths will be higher for the US for a while:

New York Governor Cuomo: "we will begin reporting all categories of fatalities pursuant to new CDC guidelines and are contacting facilities to get updated numbers" There may be additional people who died that have not been counted because not in a hospital

Canada crossed the 1,000 total deaths today, probably did it much earlier already, plenty here are not counted yet as well.
According to this heat map there at 68 confirmed cases in my area, still very low chance of catching it
https://flatten.ca/?lang=en#heatmap

Here's another tracking site for US Canada and Mexico
https://covidnearyou.org/#!/
This one only has the voluntary data (no official counts afaik) Not all that useful until more people start self reporting.

John2290 said:

Boom. Virus origin = Lab. Chinas silence and suppression explained. The world makes sense. War cometh.

Like this:

"We've had a lot of intelligence, take a hard look at that," Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley told reporters today. "At this point it's inconclusive, although the weight of the evidence seems to indicate natural. But we don’t know for certain."

The comments come hours after The Washington Post reported that U.S. officials were concerned about inadequate safety at a Wuhan lab that was conducting studies on coronavirus from bats. According to the Post, U.S. officials who had visited the lab dispatched diplomatic cables in January 2018 back to Washington warning about safety and management weaknesses at the lab, and also that the facility's work on bat coronaviruses represented a risk of a new SARS-like pandemic.

Gee, who would have thought that China was right to downplay this shit earlier this year.

John2290 said:

Boom. Virus origin = Lab. Chinas silence and suppression explained. The world makes sense. War cometh.

Please stop being ridiculous.

John2290 said:
Nautilus said:

Not to get back into this shit but there is no other option, you let the virus through and we get all this shit up front and with no time to prepare. Thank God those who said the virus won't be the most damaging aspect get to say I told you so, it means we are still here and we still have infrastructure. It's how we navigate the tightrope that we have no other choice but to walk and this is not navigating it well at all, we're wobbling way too soon while we've got months to years left to walk. I don't think we'll make it into next spring without severe human loss and suffering right up to the doorsteps of the 1%, this is the one that'll shave us down by a few billion over the next few years but thank God people still get to say I told you so cause right now we'd be entering into hell as the bodies pile up, essential work force gets clipped all at once, supply lines get cut with preparation and the masses go nuts all once.

Thank God, we just got some panic buying, lines for food banks and a bit of rioting in the third world. Believe it or not, the only reason we are still standing and have the mess in front of us still is because we locked down, that initial wash through would have been the end of the world had everyone stayed ignorant even if the models were 800% higher than reality. I can't understand the STILL people can't see that, after the virus got out of control globally, there is and was only one reality of this situation and we can either extend it and draw it out slowly or brace and let it have happened all at once and let society just fall apart within a few weeks of confusion. Watch the hand to mouth countries over the next month and that is what the west would have been but because we are so much more dependent we'd have been so much worse, like the opening of a zombie film, without the zombies. 

Still beating the drums of apocalypse, I see.

Please explain to me, step by step, how do you think society would collapse if every single essential worker in the world magically got the coronavirus at the same time. I'll let you assume the number of confirmed cases equal to all cases and use whatever time to recovery, hospitalization, and death rates you find.

Comparisons with historical pandemics, truck drivers' strikes, general strikes, and prolonged civil wars like Yemen and Syria would also be appreciated, again with a step by step explanation of why you believe things would get literally dozens of times worse than those.

Also, explain to me the collapse that happened in the Italian villages where ~ 1.5 - 2% of the population has died and the virus presumably swept uncontrolled, because even the people living there don't seem to be aware of it.