By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: 1st party Xbox games will be cross-gen for "next year, two years"

Radek said:
sales2099 said:

I didn’t say it would be a good port. Throw in a mandatory X gigabyte instal and you should make something like it. Think Witcher 3 highest settings PC vs Switch. The comparison videos and articles on the internet certainly don’t say it’s a mere “resolution and FPS” downgrade. Far from that, yet it’s still the core experience. Go figure :)

The difference is:

1. Witcher 3 is less demanding game than RDR2 across all platforms

2. Switch is fair bit more powerful than Xbox 360 and still drops res to 960x540 at PC's almost lowest details

3. Switch has 4 GB of RAM, if it had 1 GB (twice as much as 360) Witcher 3 port would never happen.

4. Hell even Switch is probably too slow to run RDR2, let alone Xbox 360.

Think you are nitpicking. I don’t care if they have to remove half the trees and grass. Cut the draw distance. Have crazy texture pop in and cut npcs in towns down a good chunk. Make the graphics and resolution so fuzzy it’s like I’m looking through the bottom of a bottle. 

It won’t be ideal by any means, but it can be downgraded if there was any real point to do so. 

Edit: We beside the point. We ain’t talking about 360, we talking about whether Xbox 1 can take a downgraded next gen port. And if Switch is any indication, it’s certainly possible. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Radek said:
sales2099 said:

Think you are nitpicking. I don’t care if they have to remove half the trees and grass. Cut the draw distance. Have crazy texture pop in and cut npcs in towns down a good chunk. Make the graphics and resolution so fuzzy it’s like I’m looking through the bottom of a bottle. 

It won’t be ideal by any means, but it can be downgraded if there was any real point to do so. 

Edit: We beside the point. We ain’t talking about 360, we talking about whether Xbox 1 can take a downgraded next gen port. And if Switch is any indication, it’s certainly possible. 

Ah yes let's remove trees, grass, make it 240p, put loading screens everywhere and call it the same game just because it shares the same plot of Dutch's gang.

See now ya talking ;)

But ya the actual point was in the edit 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Your goal posts have shifted from true next gen games offering “new experiences not possible on current gen” with advances in AI, physics, geometry, etc at the start of this thread to now just “purty graphics” 😆

I wanna see where they shift to next.

How are those screen shots I posted not a gigantic leap in geometry and overall visual fidelity? Even my grandmother would instantly be able to tell the difference between SS and Infamous 2 on the ps3, and she's half blind... While the difference between Gears 5 running on Xone and X1X or pc is a lot more subtle. I would have to ask my granny to sit closer to the screen and explain to her it's 4k and that it now runs at 60fps on X1X and the pc version has better reflections. 

It just seems kinda hopeless to get the difference through to you, but I will try 1 more time. What do you think is the difference between RDR1 vs RDR2 and GTA5 on 360 vs Xone? And do you think they could have released RDR2 on 360/ps3, and keep the core game design and visual fidelity intact if they did?

Just pointing out that you began the thread talking about “true next gen games” being showcases of things not possible on previous gen hardware besides graphics and now it’s all about how good the games look. You even tried to link a DF article where they go on about how good the game looks but ignored where they complain that it plays like last gen Infamous titles. Yet somehow if Halo Infinite plays like a last gen Halo but has amazing graphics on XSX, it will still be a problem 😆

Also idc to get into some hypothetical nonsense about other games like GTA or RDR. We’ve already pointed out games to you like Witcher 3 or Horizon 2 which were designed with one target in mind and then ported down to Switch/360. But for whatever reason you seem to think all versions of games have to be drastically neutered to account for weaker hardware. At the end of the day you don’t know what these devs are doing. I have a feeling you won’t be impressed either way, but let’s not ignore the history of gaming because you have a hunch that Microsoft will fail.

Radek said:
sales2099 said:

I didn’t say it would be a good port. Throw in a mandatory X gigabyte instal and you should make something like it. Think Witcher 3 highest settings PC vs Switch. The comparison videos and articles on the internet certainly don’t say it’s a mere “resolution and FPS” downgrade. Far from that, yet it’s still the core experience. Go figure :)

The difference is:

1. Witcher 3 is less demanding game than RDR2 across all platforms

2. Switch is fair bit more powerful than Xbox 360 and still drops res to 960x540 at PC's almost lowest details

3. Switch has 4 GB of RAM, if it had 1 GB (twice as much as 360) Witcher 3 port would never happen.

4. Hell even Switch is probably too slow to run RDR2, let alone Xbox 360.

the switch version also came like 4 years later. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Bandorr said:
eva01beserk said:

the switch version also came like 4 years later. 

Fairly important point imo. DQ11 took around a year. Dark souls took around I think 6 months?

The ports come. The ports are well done. They don't come fast - and they don't come day one.

Good thing that plays into my argument, Halo Infinite is a 5 year game :)

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
sales2099 said:

Good thing that plays into my argument, Halo Infinite is a 5 year game :)

Makes sense. Halo infinite comes out to Xbox one X in 2020. It gets ported to Xbox one in 2025.

Oh you so funny. More like both are simultaneously developed alongside each other with respective specs in mind. Almost like the game is made by the same studio within an ecosystem they are intimately familiar with :)

Bandorr said:
sales2099 said:

Oh you so funny. More like both are simultaneously developed alongside each other with respective specs in mind. Almost like the game is made by the same studio within an ecosystem they are intimately familiar with :)

Then you should stop using the switch as an example - since that never happened. Almost as if bringing up the switch was a horrible example it being Nintendo and the Witcher well.. not being?

Horrible? Lol cmon. There’s worse comparisons. You not seeing the big picture...it’s hard to find an exact example, we go with what we know. 

You late to the convo but Goopy maintains the opinion that you can’t make next gen games when you have a considerably weaker machine to make a version for. Witcher 3 is a great example that you can make the high end version and scale down to weaker machine. That while it is the same game the differences large and small can add up to be vast. 

He also maintains that the weaker machines are the base model for game development when it is factually harder to build low and scale up then develop high and scale down.

With a literal next gen engine for Halo Infinite and with 343 having the employees to optimize all versions at the same time I think it is definitely in the realm of possibility that we will see at least a Witcher 3 level of difference between base XB1 and Series X. Especially with the recent leaks of next gen ray tracing and audio techniques in the Series X hardware. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 21 February 2020

Bandorr said:
sales2099 said:

Horrible? Lol cmon. There’s worse comparisons. You not seeing the big picture...it’s hard to find an exact example, we go with what we know. 

You late to the convo but Goopy maintains the opinion that you can’t make next gen games when you have a considerably weaker machine to make a version for. Witcher 3 is a great example that you can make the high end version and scale down to weaker machine. That while it is the same game the little differences can add up to be vast. 

He also maintains that the weaker machines are the base model for game development when it is factually harder to build low and scale up then develop high and scale down.

With a literal next gen engine for Halo Infinite and with 343 having the employees to optimize all versions at the same time I think it is definitely in the realm of possibility that we will see a Witcher 3 difference between base XB1 and Series X. Especially with the recent leaks of next gen ray tracing and audio techniques in the Series X hardware. 

Actually I believe their opinion is the "newer" one is being held back by the "older" one. Which is fairly obvious.  If you have to concentrate on two things - neither get your full attention. Fairly sure CGI-Quality who works with games pointed that out really early on. Like the first 10 posts early on.

Witcher 3 is a horrible example. For the reason I already pointed out. It took them a long time to DO that. Witcher 3 was done. Then 4+ years later they did it again. They did not do them at the same time.

They could never have released it on the PS4 and the Switch at the same time.

BOTW seems like a better example. It came to the switch and the wii U. How did that work out?  Did Nintendo work on both of those at the same time or let another company handle one? I know little about it to be honest. I'm gonna go read about it.

It depends on the game though. I think Shadows of mordor cut out the nemesis system for the older generations. So instead of weakening the "newer" systems they gutted the game for the older ones.

I should also read about Forza Horizon 2. Two different companies worked on that. Fairly sure the xbox 360 one missed out on several things as well.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Np :)

Thats the beauty of speculating, I think FH2 or say Titanfall are better examples. Having played both 360 and XB1 Titanfalls the differences were pretty huge. 

But ultimately the one argument Goopy can’t seem to address is that both companies have never pushed full potential at launch. Every gen is the same story...we only get a taste. And generational leaps like PS2 to PS3 will never be that vast anymore. 

So ultimately my core argument is that whether you make a “plus plus” version on Series X or make a next gen exclusive on PS5 that only scratches the surface....the end result for both companies is pretty similar. Both sides only get a taste of what’s to come in the years ahead.

So really the only argument is one of a business perspective, as in should MS make games cross gen as they can take incentive away to upgrade. But that’s a problem for MSs marketing department, not us. 

Bandorr said:
sales2099 said:

Np :)

Thats the beauty of speculating, I think FH2 or say Titanfall are better examples. Having played both 360 and XB1 Titanfalls the differences were pretty huge. 

But ultimately the one argument Goopy can’t seem to address is that both companies have never pushed full potential at launch. Every gen is the same story...we only get a taste. And generational leaps like PS2 to PS3 will never be that vast anymore. 

So ultimately my core argument is that whether you make a “plus plus” version on Series X or make a next gen exclusive on PS5 that only scratches the surface....the end result for both companies is pretty similar. Both sides only get a taste of what’s to come in the years ahead.

So really the only argument is one of a business perspective, as in should MS make games cross gen as they can take incentive away to upgrade. But that’s a problem for MSs marketing department, not us. 

Reading about FH2 expresses my concerns fairly well.

"Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One will exclusively use the dynamic weather system and Driveatars. These features will not be present in the Xbox 360 version.

"There are things we are doing in Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One that honestly couldn't be done on any other console," "

It comes down to.. who is missing out?  If you're using the "older" game as the base - what is the "newer" one missing out on?

If the newest system gets all the bells and whistles and the older one doesn't - I'm fine with that.  But if the newer system misses out on those because they are concentrating on the newer one - I'm not ok with that.

Some things can't be done with upscaling.  So since they already know there are going to be no exclusives for a year or two, i'd be concerned that you are getting version B, and version B+ (with upscaled graphics etc) as opposed to Version B, and Version A(with system exclusive features).

I’m optimistic that the Series X version will be more then mere FPS and resolution boosts. The little leaks we find here and there regarding next gen ray tracing and audio help the case. 

But again there’s still the main point that neither console will launch with their best. They only ever give us a taste of the potential. MS and Sony doing different things but both come to the same conclusion. You can never have had Halo 4 release in 2005 nor Last of Us be a PS3 launch title. Never happened before and I see no reason it will happen in the future.

sales2099 said:
Bandorr said:

Reading about FH2 expresses my concerns fairly well.

"Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One will exclusively use the dynamic weather system and Driveatars. These features will not be present in the Xbox 360 version.

"There are things we are doing in Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One that honestly couldn't be done on any other console," "

It comes down to.. who is missing out?  If you're using the "older" game as the base - what is the "newer" one missing out on?

If the newest system gets all the bells and whistles and the older one doesn't - I'm fine with that.  But if the newer system misses out on those because they are concentrating on the newer one - I'm not ok with that.

Some things can't be done with upscaling.  So since they already know there are going to be no exclusives for a year or two, i'd be concerned that you are getting version B, and version B+ (with upscaled graphics etc) as opposed to Version B, and Version A(with system exclusive features).

I’m optimistic that the Series X version will be more then mere FPS and resolution boosts. The little leaks we find here and there regarding next gen ray tracing and audio help the case. 

But again there’s still the main point that neither console will launch with their best. They only ever give us a taste of the potential. MS and Sony doing different things but both come to the same conclusion. You can never have had Halo 4 release in 2005 nor Last of Us be a PS3 launch title. Never happened before and I see no reason it will happen in the future.

I don't want to burst your bubble but we have this confirmed already by 343 themselves... Yes, if they were making 2 different games, with features missing in current gen consoles like we've seen with Horizon 2, it would be a different story. But they aren't talking about ports on different platforms, they are talking about scaling and using Xone as the base console, not the Series X. It's just like Gears 5, which does look better on X1X and pc, but it's still the exact same game on all platforms, where it's designed so the Xone version looks and plays identical. This is exactly what they're doing with Halo Infinite and their other cross gen exclusives for the coming years.

It something completely different than the next gen jump from Infamous 2 to Infamous SS or RDR1 to RDR2, where core game elements like the geometry got a complete overhaul. The only way they could port RDR2 over to the ps3/360 is by scaling it down to such a level, that it'll end up looking exactly like RDR 1.

Also, we have seen plenty of launch game that push next gen consoles. Ryze looked pretty great and something like the Order 1886 is still one of the best looking games out there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O964TILTZeU. The only thing I can agree on is that launch games usually don't have the best gameplay, probably because they tend to focus too much on showcasing the new tech.