Forums - Sony Discussion - VGC sources (not this VGC), Schreier, and Pachter suggest that Sony may skip E3 2020

There is no way in hell that Sony skips E3 this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Considering that Pachter is almost always wrong...

Sony at E3 2020 confirmed!

Pachter: they might not be at E3.  

Reality: biggest Sony E3 showing ever

LoD Remake confirmed!

I enjoy watching them to determine who wins in my own mind. Any skipping makes me sad. I've never owned a PlayStation, nor plan to, but I'm always interested in their announcements.

As disappointed as i would be, Sony doesn't need to be at e3.
They can just do their full reveal at their own event and leave E3 for 3rd parties

It's not entirely unlikely that Sony doesn't plan on returning to E3. Shawn Layden explained some of their issues with E3, earlier in 2019.
"So the trade show became a trade show without a lot of trade activity. The world has changed, but E3 hasn't necessarily changed with it."

But it may go deeper than that. I forget the specific details now, but last year there were reports from people working in ESA (who organize E3) about how the future for the show beyond 2021 is very uncertain, because of restructuring within the organisation and the companies that own ESA. One of those companies I believe was a ratings board, which was involved in some controversy that presumably Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft, who are all part of the ESA board, wouldn't want to be associated with.

That the future and direction of E3 is in disarray is not unbelievable when the leaked plans for E3 2020 were essentially confirmed by an ESA representative through email. But they played it off as just brainstorming ideas as they do every year. Which I'm sure they do. But the ideas are probably not that drastic usually.

Anyway, since this E3 is right before the PS5 launch, I think it may be a good idea for Sony to attend it, even if just for that year.

Last edited by Hiku - on 11 January 2020

Around the Network

Sony revealed the PS5 logo at an event not strongly associated with gaming and the whole world knows about it. I'm sure they could easily skip E3 and showcase the PS5 in their own event, either a State of Play or a live event similar to the ones that revealed the PS4 and later the PS4 Pro.

This might be one of Pachter's "broken clock" moments.

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 11 January 2020

Landale_Star said:

Sony revealed the PS5 logo at an event not strongly associated with gaming and the whole world knows about it. I'm sure they could easily skip E3 and showcase the PS5 in their own event, either a State of Play or a live event similar to the ones that revealed the PS4 and later the PS4 Pro.

This might be one of Pachter's "broken clock" moments.

Pretty much this. E3 needs Sony more than Sony needs it tbqh.

They could just have a half year PSX if they really needed a live event. 

That would be disappointing. Although I doubt Sony is skipping E3 for the PS5 launch year.

Kotaku's Jason Schreier, known for having some of the best sources in the gaming industry, is hinting that Sony will skip E3 as well:

If Patcher said it then Sony will have their best E3 ever.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994