By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

Jez hasn't heard anything regarding Techland/Microsoft but thinks they fit with what Microsoft is looking for, Rand says to keep your eye on this one.

What I wonder is, why would it be exclusive? Would Microsoft really cancel the PS4 version which has already been announced? They've never done that before.

Or maybe the last gen ports are cancelled entirely? Xbox Series X only? Give some excuse that it can't run properly on last gen? Or maybe it's on Xbox One/PS4 but is only getting a Series X port like Psychonauts 2 is and ACG has got his wires crossed.

If Techland were really having financial trouble and Dying Light 2 was in dev Hell then MS would have every right to make it full exclusive if they purchase Techland, the game is self published and all MS has to say is that they paid development costs to finish the game therefore partially funding it and also publishing it so they would have say in what platforms it releases.

Around the Network
EspadaGrim said:
Ryuu96 said:

Jez hasn't heard anything regarding Techland/Microsoft but thinks they fit with what Microsoft is looking for, Rand says to keep your eye on this one.

What I wonder is, why would it be exclusive? Would Microsoft really cancel the PS4 version which has already been announced? They've never done that before.

Or maybe the last gen ports are cancelled entirely? Xbox Series X only? Give some excuse that it can't run properly on last gen? Or maybe it's on Xbox One/PS4 but is only getting a Series X port like Psychonauts 2 is and ACG has got his wires crossed.

If Techland were really having financial trouble and Dying Light 2 was in dev Hell then MS would have every right to make it full exclusive if they purchase Techland, the game is self published and all MS has to say is that they paid development costs to finish the game therefore partially funding it and also publishing it so they would have say in what platforms it releases.

Would be interesting to see if it happens, but still this rumour is hard to believe. It looks like Microsoft is so afraid of bad press after what happened with Rise of the Tomb Raider, that I find it extremely unlikely to see them making exclusive any game that already has Playstation version announced. After ROTR situation I don't think Microsoft ever attempted to buy out exclusivity for any game that was already announced for Playstation

EspadaGrim said:
Ryuu96 said:

Square Enix might as well just be Sony first party at this point, Phil should take away their Xbox dev kits if they are just going to be gathering dust.

Sony are going to double down on these Moneyhats because I don’t see them making a big acquisition anytime soon at least nothing on the level of Bethesda or even another Insomniac level dev.

Based on this tweet, I would say that SE is playing 3D chess. They take the money from Sony for timed exclusivity and then take money from Microsoft for Game Pass.

I mean, it is not 100% ethical but looking at it from a business perspective, I cannot entirely blame them.

Ryuu96 said:

We will just have to wait and see, would a community manager really have knowledge or be in the know if acquisition talks were being held in a private company? 

This also isn’t even an official PR statement by the company itself.

I'm personally getting a bit tired of the constant acquisition rumors. Ever since MS announced their intent to purchase Bethesda, everybody's basically been either trying to talk more and more blockbuster deals into existence, or intimating that they have some knowledge of a new blockbuster deal going down. It's all just talk. None of these people have anything real to say. None of them knew ANYTHING about MS acquiring one of the most major publishers in gaming....but now, suddenly, everyone's got sources everywhere, and is well informed on what high level moves are being made next. Totally believable.

Around the Network

It’s hard to believe all the rumors myself. The ones around Square are ridiculous. Techland seems unlikely given Undead Labs. And Bloober would be a better (and cheaper) pick, due to them making games very quickly with some level of guaranteed success. Otherwise my money is on Sega or Valve. One has a massive back catalog to preserve on Game Pass and the other controls Steam, essentially controlling PC gaming.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Personally, as much as I'm looking forward to DL2 it should be multiplatform unless MS does indeed buy them. Doing a Timed exclusive deal after it was already announced for playstation is shady.

Yeah the tweet from the Community Manager, it was basically a non-answer. Seems carefully worded.

Ryuu96 said:
sales2099 said:

It’s hard to believe all the rumors myself. The ones around Square are ridiculous. Techland seems unlikely given Undead Labs. And Bloober would be a better (and cheaper) pick, due to them making games very quickly with some level of guaranteed success. Otherwise my money is on Sega or Valve. One has a massive back catalog to preserve on Game Pass and the other controls Steam, essentially controlling PC gaming.

What Square rumours?

Eh, I don't see why Undead Labs would get in the way of Techland at all, State of Decay and Dying Light share one similarity, they have zombies, other than that they're completely different games, and their zombies aren't even the same, hell they acquired Obsidian, who is making Avowed, which apparently internally has been described as an Elder Scrolls inspired, Lol.

Also strongly disagree that Bloober Team would be better, Techland have proven themselves more than Bloober, Dying Light has sold 17 million units, Dying Light 2 would be huge on Game Pass and is/should be close to releasing, one Dying Light is probably the equivalent to at least 3-5 Bloober titles in terms of selling potential/reach.

Techland also has two teams, both AAA, one on Dying Light 2 and another on an AAA Fantasy Open-World, Techland would be an amazing hub for gathering Polish talent, they just need, I believe, support and money, they're far too small to be working on 2 AAA's at the same time.

Also Bloober Team is public so their stock is automatically inflated, $100m would be around their price which is too high Imo. I do think regardless that none of these insiders know a thing about any public companies that are about to be acquired.

Didn’t know Bloober was public. Nm then, I know MS only goes for private companies. Is Techland private?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Ryuu96 said:

Colt says he heard from trusted sources that Xbox is getting Dying Light 2 as a timed exclusive and could be permanent depending on the acquisition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcJo0aT4rho

Not sure if Colt is reliable though.

He himself isn’t usually. But he is increasingly in the know I’d say. Has has a “special interview” next Wednesday regarding an Xbox announcement. Imo, if he reports something, he backs it up.