By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - Game Pass Surpasses 18m Subscribers

Ryuu96 said:

Lol.

Inb4, XGS buying Kojima Productions rumours



 

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
shikamaru317 said:

What do you guys think about the just confirmed next-gen VR headset for PS5? Do you think Microsoft needs to counter it?

Personally I think MS absolutely needs to counter it, VR is clearly not some failed gimmick like Kinect/PS Move style motion controls were, VR has showed that it is here to stay through continued growth. I don't think MS can allow PS5 to have that advantage of VR support over Xbox. MS needs to either design a proper Xbox VR headset (ideal) or at least offer support for PC VR headsets and Windows Mixed Reality headsets on Xbox Series. 

MS already will have several 1st party studios who are able to support an Xbox VR headset (as well as PC VR headsets) with content, Ninja Theory has VR experience from the Darth Vader VR game they did, Bethesda was pushing quite hard for VR so id, Bethesda Game Studios, Machine, and I believe Arkane all have VR experience/teams now, and MS can either acquire some more VR studios or build a few new VR studios or a few more VR teams at existing studios so that they have enough teams to support a VR headset with content.  

Of course they should. The issue is, as far as I know, WMR is not suited for gaming and if Steam compatibility list is anything to pay attention to, only around 30-40% of VR games are compatible with WMR headsets. So, if Microsoft doesn't want to create their own hardware (which I believe is the case), they have only two options: partner with Facebook for Oculus or partner with Valve for SteamVR. Actually, Facebook can already be ruled out, because their business model for Oculus is very console-like, they want their customers to buy games from their own store but still allow their headsets to be used with Steam VR games. I don't believe Facebook would want to allow Oculus to work with Xbox, because in this case it's a competing device. You don't need to connect your Oculus Quest to Xbox if Oculus Quest already works as a standalone device. So, this leaves Valve as an only option, but to make it work, Microsoft needs Valve to port all their SteamVR SDK, runtimes and other stuff to Xbox OS. Not an easy task which will probably require MS to pay a huge check for Valve to do it.

The way I see it is they have 2 options:

1. Either release an Xbox VR headset (with MS VR exclusives releasing on both Xbox VR and WMR) or make WMR compatible with Xbox Series, and hope that the sales of 1st party exclusive VR games from Bethesda and others will drive enough Xbox VR and/or WMR sales that more 3rd party devs start supporting Xbox VR and/or WMR

2. Partner with Valve to get Steam VR on Xbox, which like you said could prove rather expensive.

Personally I think they're better off with option 1. Release a Microsoft designed Xbox VR headset (which is part of the WMR family) on Xbox and PC, and release 1st party VR exclusives from Bethesda and Xbox Game Studios on both Xbox VR and WMR, in order to drive more WMR sales, which will in turn drive more 3rd party developer support for Xbox VR and WMR.



I don't care for VR, but would be good to have as a option to those who want it... would make a good bathroom break on events at least.



Anyone remember Modern Warfare 2 Museum? Should do that in VR but for Halo, all the alien species, all the weapons, all the vehicles, then let you bring them alive.

And let me explore parts of each homeworld too, I still want to see more of Sanghelios, other Covenant homeworlds, Ringworlds, etc.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 23 February 2021

Ryuu96 said:

Anyone remember Modern Warfare 2 Museum? Should do that in VR but for Halo, all the alien species, all the weapons, all the vehicles, then let you bring them alive.

And let me explore parts of each homeworld too, I still want to see more of Sanghelios, other Covenant homeworlds, Ringworlds, etc.



Around the Network

Damn were back to 4 gwg. Guess it was to be expected. 



jason1637 said:

Damn were back to 4 gwg. Guess it was to be expected. 

Not only are we back to 4, but it's a pretty weak line-up compared to February in terms of the games they chose, we got no AAA's at all in March, not even a 360 one. Getting that Gold price increase reverted came at a cost.



Well my prediction of MS partnering with either Valve, Facebook or both and releasing a WMR headset compatible with Xbox when they release Flight Sim on consoles is still out there. I am going to hold on to that bet. MS seems to be gun shy after Kinect and their complete focus still seems to be on Gamepass. Passing off hardware development to 3rd party companies which already are all in and just supporting their games on the platform seems like a much safer bet for them while keeping the platform open.



I personally couldn't care less about VR and honestly I hope it'll never become mainstream.



shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Of course they should. The issue is, as far as I know, WMR is not suited for gaming and if Steam compatibility list is anything to pay attention to, only around 30-40% of VR games are compatible with WMR headsets. So, if Microsoft doesn't want to create their own hardware (which I believe is the case), they have only two options: partner with Facebook for Oculus or partner with Valve for SteamVR. Actually, Facebook can already be ruled out, because their business model for Oculus is very console-like, they want their customers to buy games from their own store but still allow their headsets to be used with Steam VR games. I don't believe Facebook would want to allow Oculus to work with Xbox, because in this case it's a competing device. You don't need to connect your Oculus Quest to Xbox if Oculus Quest already works as a standalone device. So, this leaves Valve as an only option, but to make it work, Microsoft needs Valve to port all their SteamVR SDK, runtimes and other stuff to Xbox OS. Not an easy task which will probably require MS to pay a huge check for Valve to do it.

The way I see it is they have 2 options:

1. Either release an Xbox VR headset (with MS VR exclusives releasing on both Xbox VR and WMR) or make WMR compatible with Xbox Series, and hope that the sales of 1st party exclusive VR games from Bethesda and others will drive enough Xbox VR and/or WMR sales that more 3rd party devs start supporting Xbox VR and/or WMR

2. Partner with Valve to get Steam VR on Xbox, which like you said could prove rather expensive.

Personally I think they're better off with option 1. Release a Microsoft designed Xbox VR headset (which is part of the WMR family) on Xbox and PC, and release 1st party VR exclusives from Bethesda and Xbox Game Studios on both Xbox VR and WMR, in order to drive more WMR sales, which will in turn drive more 3rd party developer support for Xbox VR and WMR.

About option 1 - I think that this might only happen in case if Microsoft would come to conclusion that they need VR but they have no other options than to go with the "build their own headset" approach. Two reasons: Microsoft is not a hardware company and doesn't want to be a hardware company, right now they wish they didn't even have console hardware and you ask them to build yet another hardware. Second reason is that if such headset happens it will 100% be Xbox+PC compatible like everything Microsoft releases gaming related these days. The problem is, it won't sell well among PC crowd at all. If it is a WMR headset or any other standard (which would be even worse) for the reasons I mentioned in previous posts - WMR is barely supported by PC VR game developers. On the other hand, Microsoft still can make it WMR+SteamVR compatible on PC and WMR only on Xbox. But if I were to bet, this option would be the last thought for them because they would rather not bother with even more hardware.

About option 2 - it's not even about it being expensive, it's about the way how VR works on PC. I can be wrong, but as far as I understand, SteamVR is a runtime, a platform which is used by game developers to target their games to. So, it makes porting SteamVR games to Xbox impossible without SteamVR libraries being baked into Xbox OS even if Xbox OS will receive the headsets hardware support. Which means that MS would need to get Valve on board with this, but the issue is that Valve doesn't really have an interest in porting it to Xbox. It won't suddenly have any positive effect on their business by doing so. They are already fine with what they have right now, so why spend additional resources. I saw that there are some open source implementations of some libs which allow to run VR games without SteamVR installed, so MS can probably use this, but I'm not sure how good it works or if it even works at all