By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: PS5 and Xbox Series X Spec Leak.

Just thought Xbox may not have a separate chip for Ray tracing, will take a chunk out of 12TF.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
Just thought Xbox may not have a separate chip for Ray tracing, will take a chunk out of 12TF.

A separate ray tracing chip is just about the dumbest thing you can do. I know this idea came up in other forums for no reasons or explanations given, but it is just about the dumbest thing you can do.

Let me just finish this topic by stating that a separate ray tracing chip is just about the dumbest thing you can do.

drkohler said:
Random_Matt said:

A separate ray tracing chip is just about the dumbest thing you can do. I know this idea came up in other forums for no reasons or explanations given, but it is just about the dumbest thing you can do.

Let me just finish this topic by stating that a separate ray tracing chip is just about the dumbest thing you can do.

MS and Sony are dumb. We will see what happens.

Random_Matt said:
Xbox buyers who say they have a PC do not have a PC.

Bullshit. I know already some PC Players who own a PS4 or XBO without any or only 1-2 console exclusives. 

Not everyone wants to use his gaming PC from whatever room to play as example some FIFA with friends in the living room

I will probably buy Lockhart for my bedroom even though I already play on a PC with a 2070 Super, 512GB NVMe, 32GB Ram snd so on. Not the strongest PC but already pretty good and fine for next gen I guess (I only need 1440p on my PC)

crissindahouse said:
Random_Matt said:
Xbox buyers who say they have a PC do not have a PC.

Bullshit. I know already some PC Players who own a PS4 or XBO without any or only 1-2 console exclusives. 

Not everyone wants to use his gaming PC from whatever room to play as example some FIFA with friends in the living room

I will probably buy Lockhart for my bedroom even though I already play on a PC with a 2070 Super, 512GB NVMe, 32GB Ram snd so on. Not the strongest PC but already pretty good and fine for next gen I guess (I only need 1440p on my PC)

That is a good example I’d never thought of. Even a hardcore PC gamer might want something in the entertainment room for social gaming.

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I never actually said MS should ignore or abandon those markets, I just wouldnt enocurage MS to pour significant resources there. Instead, keep making great content intended for the west, make competitively priced hardware like Lockhart and hope the best elsewhere. More importantly moves like that could help them thrive in the west.

For the most part it just looks like Sony took MS's marketshare from last gen. It hasnt actually grown significantly. Also, Sony is just making games the west enjoys and hopes for the best elsewhere.

Lastly, I think we all agree putting Xbox games on PC means more people will play their games. If many around the world are gaming on PCs, then porting games to PC should boost sales. That's hardly ignoring or abandoning hose markets.

Why should I as Xbox console owner even care about how many copies does Halo 10 and Gears 15 sell? The only thing I care about is from MS to provide a great gamin experience through their console and services. I'm way more interested in Xbox being an appealing platform for third party developers, so they will be bringing lots of great games to the platform. XGS games should be like an icing on cake. Additional reason to choose Xbox over PS, but no the main one. Because I doubt that any sane person would choose a certain console just because it has games from one certain publishers with everything else being more inferior compared to competition. Also, XGS hasn't really released that many interesting games, worth playing in the past 3 years, making it hardly to be the reason to choose Xbox over PS. I'm personally not interested in Sony exclusive games as well, but it is hard to deny that almost every game Sony released in the same time frame was a more quality product than every XGS game except maybe Gears and Forza. I personally prefer Xbox over PS just because in my opinion it provides a better console experience, not because it has Microsoft games. And I think if you ask any of 46m Xbox One owners the same question - why they prefer xbox over PS, the majority of these people will answer the same way that I did - not because XGS games are better or more interesting than what Sony offers, but because these people believe that Xbox provides a better experience to play games. Everything in your logic shows that you seem to fail to understand the huge difference between a publisher and a platform holder. Microsoft is not just a publisher, they are a platform holder and they have a certain obligations for their userbase. It's not just about selling games. If selling games is all that matters - then why don't just bring them to Playstation as well? It will boost sales for sure.

You might not care what MS's top exclusives sell but it obviously makes a difference .it's games like Halo that attracted gamers to xbox and helped secure its future by giving it a brand identity, you talk about providing a great experience, now your take on that and exclusives is valid for you,but I would say if you asked those 46 million users the subjectivity of the question would get you a multitude of different answers of cause that applies to all platforms, you pretty much hit the nail on the head when you said, if selling games is all that matters why don't they bring them to playstation, that they don't shows the importance of those exclusives to a platform.

the LIVE and PSN platforms from a technical game playing perspective are today pretty similar and both parties hardware is becoming more homogenised, so differentiators like exclusives are if anything bound to rise in importance, now I'm not against what you are saying I agree with you that the experience is important ,but I feel games are what gives us that enjoyment and exclusives are a large part of that, the rest can hinder or enhance that enjoyment but it's all about the games.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Mr Puggsly said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

It seems to be the other way around tbh. You keep replying to me with the same thing over and over again completely ignoring every argument I provided to back my point. If you have already forgotten, my initial point was that currently the biggest obstacle for Microsoft is not thinking about international appeal of Xbox hardware, services, etc. In response you've brought up the same point you keep repeating over and over again: "The general consensus is MS needs to step up 1st party". This one. Well, don't want to disappoint you, it's actually might be the general consensus, but only on gaming forums. If MS fixes their first party delivering, it won't suddenly turn Xbox in a way more popular brand. On this one - "It's also necessary to push a service Game Pass which people seem to enjoy.It's also necessary to push a service Game Pass which people seem to enjoy", I've provided you a great example, where Microsoft decided to pull the plug on GamePass in making access to GamePass in Russia uneasy. So how will they push the service when they do something like this? Doesn't matter how many games will they have in the service 1 or 100, if people can't gain access to it just because they don't live in the US and Microsoft doesn't want to support other countries? And well, the last one. Something that kinda sums up everything I've said in my other posts. I will use a personal example to make it easier for you to understand. I live in Russia, I prefer to play on Xbox console, I spent around 80-90% of my gaming time on Xbox console. I'm not interested in PC gaming at all and almost everything that XGS released in the past two-three years doesn't really suit my gaming tastes. So, why should I care about MS being able to sell these XGS games to more people if it doesn't benefit me at all and comes at the expense of my experience with the platform that I like. While I can't claim for sure that this is something that is connected in any way, it's the exact same point that you keep bringing up. That I should somehow not care about my experience getting worse as long as MS sells more XGS games. I swear, there are a lot of Xbox gamers from not US/UK out there even on the internet who will totally agree with this one. P.S. I think that it would probably better to stop on this one. I've checked your profile and considering that you are from US, I doubt you will ever understand anything that I say. Because, first of all, you seem to enjoy every XGS game, second - you are treated like a first class citizen by MS, so it's hard for you to understand about the problems that Xbox brand has outside US/UK. You are basically living in the bubble where Xbox really competes with Playstation equally.

After I read you essentially say exclusives aren't important, I stopped reading.

Lets just move on. I just find your opinions not worth reading.

This statement explains a lot. You haven't even read any of my posts. "you essentially say exclusives aren't important" - I never said that in any of my posts. Won't waste any more of my time for a person who either can't think and analyze my response or in even worse case - doesn't even read them and jumps to some conclusions about my opinions on his own.

Random_Matt said:

The technology doesn't work like this. RT can't take a chunk of teraflops.

mjk45 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Why should I as Xbox console owner even care about how many copies does Halo 10 and Gears 15 sell? The only thing I care about is from MS to provide a great gamin experience through their console and services. I'm way more interested in Xbox being an appealing platform for third party developers, so they will be bringing lots of great games to the platform. XGS games should be like an icing on cake. Additional reason to choose Xbox over PS, but no the main one. Because I doubt that any sane person would choose a certain console just because it has games from one certain publishers with everything else being more inferior compared to competition. Also, XGS hasn't really released that many interesting games, worth playing in the past 3 years, making it hardly to be the reason to choose Xbox over PS. I'm personally not interested in Sony exclusive games as well, but it is hard to deny that almost every game Sony released in the same time frame was a more quality product than every XGS game except maybe Gears and Forza. I personally prefer Xbox over PS just because in my opinion it provides a better console experience, not because it has Microsoft games. And I think if you ask any of 46m Xbox One owners the same question - why they prefer xbox over PS, the majority of these people will answer the same way that I did - not because XGS games are better or more interesting than what Sony offers, but because these people believe that Xbox provides a better experience to play games. Everything in your logic shows that you seem to fail to understand the huge difference between a publisher and a platform holder. Microsoft is not just a publisher, they are a platform holder and they have a certain obligations for their userbase. It's not just about selling games. If selling games is all that matters - then why don't just bring them to Playstation as well? It will boost sales for sure.

You might not care what MS's top exclusives sell but it obviously makes a difference .it's games like Halo that attracted gamers to xbox and helped secure its future by giving it a brand identity, you talk about providing a great experience, now your take on that and exclusives is valid for you,but I would say if you asked those 46 million users the subjectivity of the question would get you a multitude of different answers of cause that applies to all platforms, you pretty much hit the nail on the head when you said, if selling games is all that matters why don't they bring them to playstation, that they don't shows the importance of those exclusives to a platform.

the LIVE and PSN platforms from a technical game playing perspective are today pretty similar and both parties hardware is becoming more homogenised, so differentiators like exclusives are if anything bound to rise in importance, now I'm not against what you are saying I agree with you that the experience is important ,but I feel games are what gives us that enjoyment and exclusives are a large part of that, the rest can hinder or enhance that enjoyment but it's all about the games.

Of course exclusives matter. It's not even a question. My argument with Mr Puggsly initially started because he thinks that Microsoft's main problem right now is that they should focus on expanding their studios and games portfolio and think about selling them to bigger crowd. (That's why I asked him "why don't bring them to playstation then"). I disagreed with him because IMO, the bigger problem for Microsoft is awful potential market penetration worldwide and provided an example for that. It doesn't matter how many awesome games you make, if your brand and services like GamePass (which is MS main focus right now) become irrelevant outside of US and EU West. Because you won't have the ability to sell your games and services to the huge part of the world. So, to sum up, I think that MS should prioritize fixing international appeal issue first, and then go after exclusives. (Or in a better case, do both at the same time)

Not entirely what I meant, the next box may not have hardware based RT. That only leaves a software based solution.

Random_Matt said:

Not entirely what I meant, the next box may not have hardware based RT. That only leaves a software based solution.

Hardware accelerated ray tracing has already been confirmed for both XBX and PS5.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/

Barkley said:
Random_Matt said:

Hardware accelerated ray tracing has already been confirmed for both XBX and PS5.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/

Oh, ok fair enough. We will see the implementations of it soon I guess, probably E3.