By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In Theory: How SSD Could Radically Change Next-Gen Games Beyond Faster Loading (Digital Foundry Video)

Tagged games:

https://youtu.be/SR-uH8vSeBY

other related Videos:

1.Star Citizen recommendation using SSD allowing smooth gameplay, world transition and less pop in and better long distant view

2.Spiderman Fast traveling and fast streaming  on open world (PS5 ssd tech demo)

3. How the Radeon Pro SSG Works - The Basic

4. Utilizing HBCC (High Bandwidth Memory Cache Controller ) on AMD Radeon

5. Insomniac on how Spider man are made (technical limitation and the solution to overcome the problem) 

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 29 December 2019

Around the Network

Loved that spiderman demo, cherry picking best case scenario. Perhaps they should of shown RDR 2 load times instead, wonder why.

Random_Matt said:
Loved that spiderman demo, cherry picking best case scenario. Perhaps they should of shown RDR 2 load times instead, wonder why.

I wonder why as well LOL, but in february we will see when Mark Cerny demonstrate PS5 tech 

Random_Matt said:

Would have it been more informative to show rdr2 also? Probably. They still showed a recent release that also happens to be open world though. 

When you promote something you put your best foot forward. 

I didn't see a problem with it. 

CGI-Quality said:
Random_Matt said:

Spider-Man is an in-house title and a Sony property. Makes more sense to show that for a next gen console tease. Plus, the last thing you should do is doubt the capability of an NVMe. They are stupid fast!

I know how fast they are, I use one myself. Point is it was originally 8 seconds on a 5400rpm HDD, they picked a best case scenario. RD2 takes a minute or two to load, even 30 seconds give or take on a NVMe pc drive.

They never talk about IOPS either.

Around the Network

Interesting stuff. Can't wait till Sony and MS show what these next gen games will look like.

HollyGamer said:

1.Star Citizen .. less pop in and better long distant view

2.Spiderman Fast traveling ..

1. Pop in and LOD troubles are tightly coupled with cpu performance, NOT with ssd

2. Spiderman profits a lot from more memory and much better cpu than from ssd.

It's cool to have an ssd, but it would help absolutely nothing without the cpu and memory upgrades.

Cool and all but when the game is 50GB plus it doesn't leave much space for installing games / patches etc..

Getting tired of consoles having incomplete games that the gamers user test and all they do is patch all the time with day 1 patches and having to uninstall games to install others. these systems will never become a Retro console as these new system replayabilty is zero once you can no longer get patches for games, I guess when every gen since 3 they keep releasing "enhanced" versions of the game and people keep buying they will go down this path.

Cobretti2 said:
Cool and all but when the game is 50GB plus it doesn't leave much space for installing games / patches etc..

Getting tired of consoles having incomplete games that the gamers user test and all they do is patch all the time with day 1 patches and having to uninstall games to install others. these systems will never become a Retro console as these new system replayabilty is zero once you can no longer get patches for games, I guess when every gen since 3 they keep releasing "enhanced" versions of the game and people keep buying they will go down this path.

You have to look at what came before, before patching you were stuck with what was on the disc for good or bad , no hd's , and you had to to load from disc every time, sure the digital world has uncertainties and convenience has a price where the reliance on the platforms and publisher support is much larger now,but things like patching can be mitigated by saving ,it's not just a console thing either.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

drkohler said:
HollyGamer said:

1.Star Citizen .. less pop in and better long distant view

2.Spiderman Fast traveling ..

1. Pop in and LOD troubles are tightly coupled with cpu performance, NOT with ssd

2. Spiderman profits a lot from more memory and much better cpu than from ssd.

It's cool to have an ssd, but it would help absolutely nothing without the cpu and memory upgrades.

which is why they have better CPU now with better memory bandwidth, it's a balance powerful console for extremely affordable price.