By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Wars Episode 9 currently the 3rd lowest reviewed movie in the series by critics

If you'd even bother to check reviews, I'd absolutely take critic's score over audience scores. Much like videogames. The audience knows shit. I'd trust Satan before an audience review. If you are not a cinephile, then why bother with reviews anyway? That said, reviews in general are irrelevant, I had/have little expectation for this movie, I dont think I will like it. Nothing they have shown tells me im gonna have a blast watching it. I dont think its gonna meet my most basic expectations, but still - no matter what anyone else says - Ill go watch it, simply because I have seen every single Star Wars film and I have to see this trilogy to its conclusion.

On the flipside, I hope Disney realizes they've damaged on of their "goose of the golden eggs" with this latest trilogy and hopefully they'll take a more creative course for their next trilogy, cause yes, I have zero doubts a new one is gonna be in the works soon.

Around the Network

I don't even remember episode 8. Is that where they were going through light speed being chased down in some stupid light speed chase running out of fuel?

OTBWY said:

I wonder what this means. Are they threatening TRoS or something?

starcraft said:

Edit: deleted

What I have said is that I like this movie. What I said about The Last Jedi in the unrelated thread I you linked too that I have now reviewed is that most critics and film-goers liked the film, which is self-evident. From what I can see, I didn't express any personal opinion on TLJ in that thread.

So, given I have offered an opinion on just one movie, and a single opinion is inherently consistent sooooo...I must be desperate

For the record though, I liked this movie more than The Last Jedi. Which is my personal opinion - I don't recall saying I was looking at the movie critically or that I am a professional film critic. Perhaps you were responding to someone else with that portion of your post.

It's true you didn't explicitly say you liked the Last Jedi, but I'm not an idiot, it's obvious why you made that comment as well as all your other ones in defense of TLJ. Plus it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to like Rey and be excited for TROS if you didn't like TLJ. You can disprove the assumption by answering this, do you think the Last Jedi is good?

Well, it is a much better movie than Episode 8. Lots of entertaining things going on. And for the mess that was TLJ, this did a decent job of ending the saga.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

I watched it myself last night. I can maybe see where reviewers might be coming from.

What do you mean maybe and might? What happened to believing critics never review in bad faith and that only audiences can? That only critics are able to see the objective qualities? Why aren't you blindly pushing their word as authority like you were before? Perhaps because they no longer share your opinion eh?

Shadow1980 said:

Way to totally misrepresent what I've said in the past. I wouldn't expect anything less from a person who flat-out insulted me for telling another user that they ought to actually give The Last Jedi a chance even though those who hate the movie told him not to bother.

If this is the level of discourse I can continue to expect from you, then I would appreciate it if you never engaged me in conversation again, on this or any other subject.

Funny how you would baslessly claim misrepresentation considering that's the crux of your defense against TLJ criticisms, believing it's hated for political reasons rather than it's objective quality. You're also misrepresenting yourself now, your exact words were "Don't listen to the haters." This includes their suggestion to not see the movie sure, but also their criticisms.

Now my questions still remain, but I understand why you wouldn't want to answer, especially when you were just talking about how critic reviews are taken selectively.

Oh and no, I'll engage as I see fit.

Regardless of this film's quality, I'm just glad this sequel trilogy is finally over and done with. Bring on the Bane Trilogy/Revan!

It's interesting that on Rotten Tomatoes it's essentially a reversal of the low user and high critic scores that Last Jedi received.. I don't get it, I actually thought it was decent ha. Certainly far better than Last Jedi. Abrams, while not great, clearly knows what he's doing more than Rian Johnson.

There were some stupid and head-scratching moments for sure, but at least it was back to feeling like a STAR WARS movie again, rather than some boring, nonsensical super hero movie (infused with some cringy on-the-nose sociopolitical stuff that felt akin to a 12 yr old's understanding of left-wing politics). It felt like an adventure again, which actual interesting, impactful events occurring, rather than the Last Jedi, the bulk of which had one large ship chasing another large ship, coupled with a pointless B-plot and an ending that's practically ripped from the beginning of Empire verbatim - oh wait no excuse me, that was a SALT planet!

Basically, the trilogy has gone back to being "ok" as Episode 7 was, rather than disastrous like Episode 8. Hell, given the hand Abrams was dealt - having to rebound from the lame Last Jedi and wrap up this massive Star Wars series in 2 hours, he did a good job. There was really only so much he COULD do..

As a TRILOGY as a whole, it does have a weird, segmented feel, which almost feels like they were just making it up as they went along - ironic considering this is the critique J.J's other major project, LOST, had recieved as well. The logic as to why Disney would intermix directors of the same trilogy is an odd decision to say the least, and it comes through in the randomness, continuity errors, and just lack of cohesion overall. I mean, yes, you can say the OT was taken on by 3 different directors, but ultimately it was Lucas' project; he was overseeing everything and it was largely HIS script, which he had pretty much plotted out from the beginning. 

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 20 December 2019

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Finished it a few hours ago. It was pretty sloppy but I didn't hate it. Was actually intrigued for the duration. Glad I saw it in theaters.