By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should the gaming industry count subscription players as sales?

Should the gaming industry count subscription players as sales?

Yes, asap 1 9.09%

Yes, but when physical sa... 0 0%

Maybe 1 9.09%

No 9 81.82%

Total:11

In the music industry 1,500 steams equates to one sale. Most streams come from subscritptions services like Spotify, Apple music, Tidal, pandora etc. This was put in place because streaming sales started to become more relavant while physical sales became irrelavt.

Something similar is beginning to happen to the gaming industry because were seeing more subscription services and these services are gaining million of active subscribers. the 1500 to one ratio in music probably wouldn't work for gaming since gaming is more niche in comparison to the music industry.

Around the Network

No. A lot more goes into making a game than a song. Teams of hundreds work on a game. Steam sales undercut devs as is. So paying your $10 monthly they see a fraction of that per sub. It doesn't add up. It's a nice little side bonus to actual retail sales.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Ka-pi96 said:
No, lying is bad. Sales are sales, nothing else. If companies also want to release subscription/stream numbers or total player numbers (the latter many already do) then that's what they should do. But they shouldn't pretend something is a sale when it isn't.

Oh, and is the gaming industry really more niche than the music industry? I mean in terms of $ value alone I'd be very surprised indeed if the gaming industry wasn't a fair bit larger than the music industry.

I mean niche in audience and reach. Estimates have it that there are 2 billion gamers and I'm sure that almost every human listens to music.

Leynos said:
No. A lot more goes into making a game than a song. Teams of hundreds work on a game. Steam sales undercut devs as is. So paying your $10 monthly they see a fraction of that per sub. It doesn't add up. It's a nice little side bonus to actual retail sales.

But millions of subscribers can help cover the cost of games. I don't think its crazy to assume it does have a few million subscribers.

3rd parties use subscription services for extra revenue.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Ka-pi96 said:
jason1637 said:

I mean niche in audience and reach. Estimates have it that there are 2 billion gamers and I'm sure that almost every human listens to music.

Well aside from the fact that the word niche really shouldn't ever be applied to anything with an audience in the billions, I still don't think you can really argue that the gaming industry that much smaller than the music industry. I mean, do the biggest games not compete with the biggest songs/artists in terms of audience numbers? GTAV has sold what, 120m + now? Does that not compete (or even better) the best selling songs/albums of all time? Do the views that game or something like Fortnite get on the likes of Twitch/Youtube not compete with the number of streams that the most popular songs get? (I have no idea on that one since I have no interest in streaming whatsoever, but you do so maybe you know).

Plus you really shouldn't assume that every, or nearly every, person listens to music. I personally never listened to any music (willingly/intentionally at least) prior to the age of 20.

Sales aren't really a fare estimate because music has been more accessible without having to purchase the song (radio, concerts etc).

I never called gaming niche. In context I said its niche in comparison to music because there are way more music listeners than there are gamers (quick google search says 90% of the population listen to music).

Around the Network

I don't think anybody is entertaining that subscription players should be pushed as sales.

Announcing the number of players is generally the route they go.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Sure, why not. The industry can measure sales however it wants. I'm not going to get all anal about it.