By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch estimated to have sold over 50,000 units at launch in China

Frost1800 said:

One thing to note is that Switch is currently region locked in China. Nintendo, partnered with Tencent, made a special model/firmware, which players cannot log in to a Nintendo account of other regions. While cartridges of other regions can be used, DLCs and Eshop games released in other regions cannot be bought, and online features cannot be used. Worsening the situation, there is only 1 Switch game released in China currently.
On the other hand, PS4 is region free in China.
If Switch stays region locked in China, I cannot really see it pass PS4 there.

The Tencent Nintendo Switch is region locked only for online service (which includes eShop)

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

Around the Network

I said China doesn't care about console one year ago and somebody wasn't happy about that. Seems I was right.

"Xbox One Sells 100,000 Units During Chinese Launch Week" Xbox One sold twice as many at launch.

Yeah these Switch launch numbers aren't impressive, which makes sense as in China the Switch isn't an impressive product.

Barkley said:

"Xbox One Sells 100,000 Units During Chinese Launch Week" Xbox One sold twice as many at launch.

Yeah these Switch launch numbers aren't impressive, which makes sense as in China the Switch isn't an impressive product.

Lol, look at the update in that article. That said, 50k Switch sold on LAUNCH DAY, not the entire week

AlbiNecroxz said:
Barkley said:

Lol, look at the update in that article. That said, 50k Switch sold on LAUNCH DAY, not the entire week

Yeah Xbox 100k is not official numbers, just what the Chinese Media reported. The 50k Switch isn't official numbers either. Though as for Launch Day, the difference between sales on Launch Day and Launch Week aren't going to be big. The vast majority of 1st week sales will be day one.

Regardless even if XBO actually sold the same 50k as the Switch, it still shows that this isn't a particularly good launch.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
AlbiNecroxz said:

Yeah Xbox 100k is not official numbers, just what the Chinese Media reported. The 50k Switch isn't official numbers either. Though as for Launch Day, the difference between sales on Launch Day and Launch Week aren't going to be big. The vast majority of 1st week sales will be day one.

You're right, we'll see how Switch will sell in this region. Maybe it could have better legs than bigger launch

Mediocre at best launch day it looks like. But let's remember there is only one game available! Let's see what sales are like after Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey come out.

Hm, I wasn't expecting a negative reaction to this; to me these were decent sales. If anything, it's a new region for the Switch to start accumulating sales.

We live in a world with nearly 8 billion people, and yet 100 million sales is sort of the benchmark for a "hall of fame" console.

Out of curiosity, I looked up "population of developed world" and the first result claimed 1.3 billion people. Jeez... Nevermind my last paragraph. Selling 100 million consoles to 1.3 billion people is looking quite good, now.

More interesting facts about population:

1987 => 5 billion
1999 => 6 billion
2012 => 7 billion
2019 => 7.7 billion (current)

Interesting to see how much the population has increased in my lifetime. I was born in 1988, so the world has recently hit 5 billion people when I was spawned.

AlbiNecroxz said:
Frost1800 said:

One thing to note is that Switch is currently region locked in China. Nintendo, partnered with Tencent, made a special model/firmware, which players cannot log in to a Nintendo account of other regions. While cartridges of other regions can be used, DLCs and Eshop games released in other regions cannot be bought, and online features cannot be used. Worsening the situation, there is only 1 Switch game released in China currently.
On the other hand, PS4 is region free in China.
If Switch stays region locked in China, I cannot really see it pass PS4 there.

The Tencent Nintendo Switch is region locked only for online service (which includes eShop)

And that is exactly what I said.

Barkley said:

Two things are slowing down launch sales for the Switch in China: its lousy launch lineup and the 1m Switch units already in China via imports.