By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Scarlett Specs Rumor

twintail said:
thismeintiel said:

That was something Sony announced for the PS4 using Gaikai. It never came about, though, since it became PS Now. Not sure if you can do it if you have a Now sub, though.

Really? I recall stuff like demo access, not early access to installing games.  Interesting nonetheless

That's what I was talking about.  It was advertised that you would be able to select a game on the PS Store and start playing the actual game, since the games would be on the GaiKai end of PSN.  Most likely it would stop at a certain point or have a time limit.  Given that info, if it had actually happened, you could do the same thing.  Buy a game, and while it's downloading, play it's demo until you hit that cutoff spot.  Then, just continue where you left off in the real game.

Hiku said:
jason1637 said:

I feel like Schreier was trying to say that not all devs have devkits that are up to date with the latest specs because he's also mentioned that devs have told him thet they dont like Lockhart and that Anaconda/PS5 are very powerful.

Right. Just that on top of specific information about these systems seemingly being under heavy lock and key, in Scarlett's case there would be even fewer sources available (due to fewer dev kits) to potentially leak something like this. I think the only thing that we know leaked so far was how the PS5 dev kit looked. And even they didn't tell us the specs.

So that there would be multiple sources leaking this info, at the same time, is interesting.

To me, it reeks of damage control.  Just like when Spencer came out almost immediately after it was reported that devs weren't happy with not having Scarlett info/devkits, saying that he totally had a Scarlett in his house and that's what he plays on, now.

Around the Network

I think 16 Gigs of RAM is a potential bottleneck. I mean that's System RAM plus VRAM combined and there are already titles on PC that massively suffer if you run a graphics card with less than 8 Gigs of VRAM, especially in 4K. They should go with 32 Gigs of RAM.

Other than that, it sounds just fine. A console for Full HD and one for 4K. The faster CPU should make a huge difference compared to the Xbox One X, the lower TF don't matter too much if you're playing in Full HD anyway. It should also make the base console dirt cheap, which is great.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

shikamaru317 said:

16 GB of RAM does seem a little low, since it is only 4 GB more than XB1 X. However, the OS apparently will only use 2-3 GB, leaving 13-14 GB available to developers. Also worth noting that MS has said that developers will be able to use some of the SSD as virtual RAM. While an SSD isn’t nearly as fast as GDDR6, developers can store data on this SSD virtual RAM that isn’t as speed dependent, freeing up the GDDR6 for data that is speed dependent.

Yeah, I know and that does seem fine and dandy for now. But in 5 years or so I think 16 GB RAM will be very little and we could find ourselves in a situation similar to what happened at the end of X360 and PS3. I mean it's not like the games weren't fun on those consoles with 512 MB of RAM in 2013. But you really noticed the lack of RAM. Especially with these new consoles targeting 4K, I don't think 16 GB will cut it. Textures for 4K are friggin' huge and even a fast SSD won't be enough to load them without hiccups.

Anyhow, let's hope for the best.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
I think 16 Gigs of RAM is a potential bottleneck. I mean that's System RAM plus VRAM combined and there are already titles on PC that massively suffer if you run a graphics card with less than 8 Gigs of VRAM, especially in 4K. They should go with 32 Gigs of RAM.

I agree 16gb looks problematic to me too. And this is for the "High End" system, dunno if lockhart would have even less then that or not. Though I wouldn't say they need 32gb either, even a small increase to 18gb could make a difference with that extra cushion for developers but 24gb would be ideal.

Though as others have pointed out 16gb is actually a bigger increase on last-gen than it first appears, as the OS supposedly uses the same amount so we get

Ram Available to Games

PS4 - 5gb
XBO - 5gb
PS4 Pro - 5.5gb
XBO X - 9gb
Anaconda - 13gb

So instead of just double, the games actually get 2.6 times the amount of ram that last-gen base consoles did.