By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games defined the decade (2010-2019) for you?

You mean which games have the biggest defining effect on the industry?

Assassin's Creed - This game pretty much set the open world formula for every game to follow. From every ubisoft game ever (Farcry, The Crew, WatchDogs) to Arkham Knight, Horizon Zero Dawn, Shadows of Mordor. Hell even BOTW has you climbing towers to reveal the map.

Demon Souls/Dark Souls - The "Souls-Like" was born, started with Demon's Souls but popularised with Dark Souls. A game that's influence has spread to titles such as God of War (2018) and even Jedi Fallen Order.

Minecraft - It's hard to say how many games Minecraft is directly responsible for, would Ark Survival Evolved and No Man's Sky have had the same building and resource gathering without the influence of Minecraft? Dragon Quest Builder's, Terraria and Starbound all seem likely candidates. Perhaps the building in Fortnite wouldn't even exist without Minecraft. It's clear Minecraft has had a big impact.

PUBG - Responsible for the very sudden emergence of the love-it-or-hate-it Battle Royale craze, soon followed by an absolute landslide of Battle Royale Games and Modes for existing games. CoD, Fornite, Apex Legends, Realm Royale, H1Z1. Suddenly everyone and their mother wanted on board the latest craze with Fortnite being the clear victor clawing it's way to the top.

League of Legends - While it's died down now there's been dozens of MOBA's created all desperately trying to get some of the massive chunk of change League was earning.

I really have no idea how to rank them so let's just go this:

Assassin's Creed (5 Points)
Minecraft (4 Points)
PUBG (3 Points)
Dark Souls (2 Points)
League of Legens (1 Point)

Around the Network

1. Red Dead Redemption 2 (5 points)

2. Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (4 points)

3. The Witcher 3 (3 points)

4. Uncharted 4 (2 point)

5. Zelda Breath Of The Wild (1 points)

mZuzek said:

Okay, I'll make a serious post because this thread is a once in a decade kind of thing...

Don't worry, there will be another... since the decade ends in 13 months.

Conina said:
mZuzek said:

Okay, I'll make a serious post because this thread is a once in a decade kind of thing...

Don't worry, there will be another... since the decade ends in 13 months.

"The 2010s (pronounced "twenty-tens" or "two thousand (and) tens"[1][2]) is the current decade in the Gregorian calendar that began on 1 January 2010, and will end on 31 December 2019." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010s

I'm going to try and chose games that I think are both popular/influential and I like.  I.e. I'll leave out my favorite niche games and also popular games I either don't like or haven't played.  With that in mind:

5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (1 point) 
This title is important for 3 reasons.  First, it's the best selling title on the Switch.  Second, it uses motion controls which shows they haven't really gone away, and they are still popular.  Third, the game is a port.  Yeah the past decade is a decade of ports.  So many ports.  The most popular game on the PS4, GTA V, is a port.  Porting has become hugely popular in the past decade and it's an easy way for studios to make a ton of profit.  (So expect more ports....)

4. Minecraft (2 points)
This is the best selling game of the last decade.  Also, it's pretty fun.  More importantly it shows that a very large part of the gaming community really does not give a damn about graphics.  Gameplay is what really matters.  2/3 of the console makers are putting all of this emphasis on graphics, but this game shows they actually have a major blind spot in doing so.

3. Undertale (3 points)
I like Minecraft, but I personally like Undertale a lot more.  Great music, great story, great characters, and good gameplay too.  This indie game checks a lot of the same boxes that Minecraft does.  Graphics don't matter as much as the console makers try to make you think.

2. Breath of the Wild (4 points)
This game is great in so many ways.  It's seen as innovate.  Ironically, the innovation came from going back to the very first Zelda game.  The freedom in BotW follows an old school philosophy, but it implements it in an entirely new way.  That is real innovation.  Remembering the best parts of the past, while extending out in a new direction.

1. Dark Souls (5 points)
It's the "Dark Souls" of innovative games.   This game also follows an old school philosophy: tough but fair.  At least the best old games were tough but fair (and the rest were just tough).  Sony didn't want to publish the precursor, Demon's Souls, in Japan (or anywhere else), because they said the game looked bad.  The reality is that the devs just focused on gameplay and level design until the end and then they prettied it up more.  It shows.  Put gameplay first and gamers will respond.  

Around the Network

Well, counting for what Iplayed, and how it influenced for me:
5p: zelda botw: do the things the way you want.
4p: xenoblade chronicles: brought me back to jrpgs
3p: hollow knight: almost made me change the metroidvania genre name to hollowtroidvania
2p: DKCTF: come back of great 2D plataformers , that was long forgotten (along with rayman legends)
1p: tomb raider (2013): right way to reboot a franchise.