By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: Disc or PSN?

DragonLord said:
Just picked up the blu-ray version (disk) about an hour ago.

I like to read the manuals when I'm taking a shit.

HAHAHAHAH!  Same!  It's a shame that manuals seem to be getting smaller and smaller.  The manuals for old PC games were the best.  Manuals for games like Homeworld and Warcraft 3 were basically small novels because of the amount of backstory included in the manual.

I'll be picking up the BD version at some point in the future.  As others have said, it's nice to have a physical collection. 

Around the Network

definitely disk for me

Whenever I pick it up I'll get it on disc.

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music

Where is PDF to make a poll asking if we would rather have physical media or DL

Off hand I'd say the majority prefers physical media, for reasons including, taking the game to a friend's house, having a larger collection of games on the shelf, resale value and my personal favorite: reading the game manual while sitting on the can.

Add to that the extra video that is on the BR-D, for those who care about those little extras. It's not on the download since that would make the 1.8GB download considerably larger, especially if the video is in 720p or 1080p resolution.

The upside of the download is most likely faster load speeds when reading from the HDD as opposed to the optical drive. Someone with access to both should do a comparison.

And of course, instant gratification for the gamers who don't live 5 minutes away from a game retailer and who aren't the kind who visit regularly for new releases even when they already know full well there aren't any scheduled for that day.  

Around the Network

If I get it, it'll be disc. Not likely, though -- I'll probably wait for GT5 instead.

I'm a box lover.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Joeykanga said:
Download.
Just like Warhawk.

First downloadable supporter!

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Joeykanga said:
Download.
Just like Warhawk.

First downloadable supporter!

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Oh yeah, and another drawback of GT5P (DD) is that you can only download it ONCE.
So if your family member wants to play it on the same PS3 with his/her username, it has to be payed for again.

That is a fairly big downside for households that use multiple accounts on the same machine, or any household that has more than one PS3 (it's not THAT uncommon).

Second thoughts regarding the download version: from what I'm hearing, it's actually about a 4-5GB disc image once the game is installed, so that whole space saving reason may be out the window.

Also, must be logged in in order to play the DL version.

Second thoughts regarding the BR-D version is that it INSTALLS the whole game (AND the entire Apex video) on your HDD anyway. So, there should be zero difference in game load times.

So, the disc version provides more versatility and portability, but the DL version is a bit more efficient and ultimately produces less waste 10 or so years from now when most of these discs and cases will be in the landfill if they aren't recycled.

Really want to order this (on BR-D) but still playing a lot of Rock Band which led to more time with my real Fender and I just started playing No More Heroes and I still haven't taken the shrink wrap off of Mass Effect. Too many games; not enough time to play them all properly.