By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS4 has become my favorite system of all time.

COKTOE said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
It’s easily my least used and least favorite Sony console. I got burned out after SegaCD/32x and 3DO and Sony actually got me back into gaming on PSone with games like Twisted Metal and GT. I used my PSone so much I ended up going through three of them. PS2 has SOCOM.

Last gen Sony was getting beat by the Wii worldwide and the 360 in the US and as a result they made a lot of games trying to build a strong library and make the PS3 more enticing. That got us games like Infamous, Motorstorm, Resistance, Killzone 2, Uncharted, etc.

They essentially won this gen before it even started with the horrible Xbone reveal and WiiU existence and to me they’ve dropped the ball in the games department mightily. Nothing creatively that approaches last gen. Way less games. Way more relying on multiplats to sell their system. Tbh idk how any fan of Sony the last two couple gens can be happy with their game output this gen, it’s been barren. And some might say quality over quantity but in the past they’ve had both.

Wow. There's too much crap to isolate with bold. It's close to a full flush. You have the "to me" shield though. Relying on multiplats? This is literally, indisputably, the golden age of PS exclusives. And again, the whole post....there's so much to work with. I'll be back. In an hour. A day. Whatever. There are shitposts, and there are SHITPOSTS. If I take a ban for this, I'll be back shortly, to gently, effortlessly, fuck you into oblivion.

Yikes. Is this one of those shitposts you're referencing? That's a bad take. PS2 and PS3 had way more incredible exclusives.

Around the Network

PS2 had the most diverse software library ever. Today's game designer don't have the balls to release games like Mister Mosquito, Katamari Damacy, Shox, or those great simulation games with special controllers like Keyboard Mania, Densha de Go, Flying Circus etc.

PS1 had the best RPG and puzzle games. PS3 only had boring FPS stuff and was a complete software disappointment coming from PS2, except Ni No Kuni.

On PS4 you have more of the same. It's not bad, but new game ideas are quite rare. The reason why I bought the PS4 was The Last Guardian, and it was worth buying the system. Other games like Rime, Ni No Kuni 2, Life is Strange 2 are good, but... you know, there were times were games were made to bring fun to people. Do you really have fun playing games on PS4? Compare this gaming experience to evergreen arcade games like Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast/PS2/GameCube.

Last edited by siebensus4 - on 25 October 2019

LudicrousSpeed said:
COKTOE said:

Wow. There's too much crap to isolate with bold. It's close to a full flush. You have the "to me" shield though. Relying on multiplats? This is literally, indisputably, the golden age of PS exclusives. And again, the whole post....there's so much to work with. I'll be back. In an hour. A day. Whatever. There are shitposts, and there are SHITPOSTS. If I take a ban for this, I'll be back shortly, to gently, effortlessly, fuck you into oblivion.

Yikes. Is this one of those shitposts you're referencing? That's a bad take. PS2 and PS3 had way more incredible exclusives.

Still you didn't like most of the exclusives on PS3 as well, so irrelevant anyway.

And Sony is so reliant on third parties that this is the gen where they got the highest critical acclaim, most goty and most sales. While I do remember last gen all the mockery they got for their titles being outsold by the xbox exclusives.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

siebensus4 said:

PS2 had the most diverse software library ever. Today's game designer don't have the balls to release games like Mister Mosquito, Katamari Damacy, Shox, or those great simulation games with special controllers like Keyboard Mania, Densha de Go, Flying Circus etc.

PS1 had the best RPG and puzzle games. PS3 only had boring FPS stuff and was a complete software disappointment coming from PS2, except Ni No Kuni.

On PS4 you have more of the same. It's not bad, but new game ideas are quite rare. The reason why I bought the PS4 was The Last Guardian, and it was worth buying the system. Other games like Rime, Ni No Kuni 2, Life is Strange 2 are good, but... you know, there were times were games were made to bring fun to people. Do you really have fun playing games on PS4? Compare this gaming experience to evergreen arcade games like Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast/PS2/GameCube.

At first, I thought you talked about 1st party games and here I agree that Sony experimented more on PS2 and PS3. But seeing that you're also considering 3rd party games, I don't really know how you manage to only find "boring FPS stuff".

PS4 (and PS3 for that matter) has a lot of different games (also some fun shooters). Some suggestions:

Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 1+2:

Ratchet & Clank:

Sonic/Crash racing:

Tearaway Unfolded:

Uncharted 4 multiplayer:

Crash/Spyro trilogies:

Rocket League:

Rayman Legends:

LittleBigPlanet 3:

And if you have a PSVR, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission is a must play:

PS2 for me.

steve

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Still you didn't like most of the exclusives on PS3 as well, so irrelevant anyway.

And Sony is so reliant on third parties that this is the gen where they got the highest critical acclaim, most goty and most sales. While I do remember last gen all the mockery they got for their titles being outsold by the xbox exclusives.

I enjoyed plenty of PS3 exclusives last gen. Regardless of the ratio, there were way more quality titles last gen, whether I enjoyed them or not.

Your point about acclaim is valid but already addressed in the post I made, they have quality this gen but not quantity imho. Previous gens they’ve had plenty of both. 

I don’t care what some supposed people maybe potentially said about sales six+ years ago wherever they potentially allegedly said it. How does that even relate to anything I said? Some people here really need to get over what some people allegedly said a decade ago because those members are apparently long gone and how in the world am I supposed to defend or chime in on something strangers said years ago lol. Nothing in my disappointment with PS4 has to do with Xbox. I’ve posted on here plenty of times that I don’t care for MS games mostly either.

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

I enjoyed plenty of PS3 exclusives last gen. Regardless of the ratio, there were way more quality titles last gen, whether I enjoyed them or not.

Your point about acclaim is valid but already addressed in the post I made, they have quality this gen but not quantity imho. Previous gens they’ve had plenty of both. 

I don’t care what some supposed people maybe potentially said about sales six+ years ago wherever they potentially allegedly said it. How does that even relate to anything I said? Some people here really need to get over what some people allegedly said a decade ago because those members are apparently long gone and how in the world am I supposed to defend or chime in on something strangers said years ago lol. Nothing in my disappointment with PS4 has to do with Xbox. I’ve posted on here plenty of times that I don’t care for MS games mostly either.

You may not care, but the fact is that if sales of Sony 1st party is a lot higher and the quality as well then hardly you can say that they increased their reliance on 3rd party. But let's the numbers do the talking.

PS4 exclusives scores by metacritic                                                 PS3

95+ - 1                                                                                         3

90-94 - 9 (2 by 3rd parties, with one now being multiplat)                 10 (1 by 3rd party)

85-89 - 12 (6 by 3rd parties)                                                           16 (2 by 3rd party)

80-84 - 12 (5 by 3rd parties)                                                            18 (3 by 3rd party and one prologue)

Considering we still have at least 18 months with know Death Stranding, TLOU 2, Dreams and GoT to be released the comparison doesn't seem as bad as you paint on the quantity of quality titles on both system, plus there will be an online game made by ND in place of the MP for TLOU2. And since you agreed on the critical acclaim I don't need to reinforce that. Now let's see best sellers.

PS4 Sony published by VGC (yes PS4 will be damaged due to digital not tracked)            PS3

10M+  -  1                                                                                                                  1                                                                                                     

5-9,99 -  5                                                                                                                  4

1-4,99 - 20                                                                                                                 28

Total   83,33                                                                                                              105,65

Considering lack of the traking for digital and the games that will release Sony will have sold more SW on PS4, also will have more games selling over 5M and over 10M than PS3.

So all of that shows that Sony have depended less, made better quality titles, gained more acclaim and sold more than PS3. Basically none of your points really stands, unless of course you want to only count the total quantity of titles released independent of quality or sales (besides that the total of titles amount that meets sales or critic isn't that much different, and if we were on both critics and sales PS4 would be wining).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

COKTOE said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
It’s easily my least used and least favorite Sony console. I got burned out after SegaCD/32x and 3DO and Sony actually got me back into gaming on PSone with games like Twisted Metal and GT. I used my PSone so much I ended up going through three of them. PS2 has SOCOM.

Last gen Sony was getting beat by the Wii worldwide and the 360 in the US and as a result they made a lot of games trying to build a strong library and make the PS3 more enticing. That got us games like Infamous, Motorstorm, Resistance, Killzone 2, Uncharted, etc.

They essentially won this gen before it even started with the horrible Xbone reveal and WiiU existence and to me they’ve dropped the ball in the games department mightily. Nothing creatively that approaches last gen. Way less games. Way more relying on multiplats to sell their system. Tbh idk how any fan of Sony the last two couple gens can be happy with their game output this gen, it’s been barren. And some might say quality over quantity but in the past they’ve had both.

It's disputable.  In fact in the PS1 and PS2 days a huge chunk of the library was exclusive.  Most of the PS4 library is not exclusive, not even close.

On top of that the PS4 library is severely lacking in originality.  I am trying to think of a significant (i.e., good and non-indie) game on the PS4 that is not a sequel.  The closest I can come up with is Bloodborne and Sekiro, which are both different takes on Dark Souls.  I suppose Ghosts of Tsushima will actually be original, but who knows?  It might skip the PS4 and go straight to the PS5.  Then the PS4 will be totally lacking in originality.

PS1 and PS2 had tons of original games, and PS3 had a decent share too.  When I look at PS4, I don't see a golden age.  I see a dark age.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
COKTOE said:

It's disputable.  In fact in the PS1 and PS2 days a huge chunk of the library was exclusive.  Most of the PS4 library is not exclusive, not even close.

On top of that the PS4 library is severely lacking in originality.  I am trying to think of a significant (i.e., good and non-indie) game on the PS4 that is not a sequel.  The closest I can come up with is Bloodborne and Sekiro, which are both different takes on Dark Souls.  I suppose Ghosts of Tsushima will actually be original, but who knows?  It might skip the PS4 and go straight to the PS5.  Then the PS4 will be totally lacking in originality.

PS1 and PS2 had tons of original games, and PS3 had a decent share too.  When I look at PS4, I don't see a golden age.  I see a dark age.

Seems like you need to play more PS4.

Days Gone, Horizon, Death Stranding, Concrete Genie, Dreams, Astrobot, Until Dawn, Nioh, The Last Guardian, The Order, Knack, Driveclub, Spider-Man, plenty of new IPs released this gen.

DonFerrari said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Seems like you need to play more PS4.

Days Gone, Horizon, Death Stranding, Concrete Genie, Dreams, Astrobot, Until Dawn, Nioh, The Last Guardian, The Order, Knack, Driveclub, Spider-Man, plenty of new IPs released this gen.

I'll give you Horizon Zero Dawn, because I forgot about that.  And you can count Until Dawn too.  Can't count most of the others.

Death Stranding is not out yet.  Those other games are either not particularly great or are sequels.  The Last Guardian and Spider-Man are sequels.  Nioh is a Dark Souls clone.  Perhaps the main "original" games this generation are the ones that copy Dark Souls.

Boy, it's really hard to think of good original PS4 games, isn't it?

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 25 October 2019