By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New PSVR 2 patent leak (PSVR going fully wireless confirmed???)

I hope it's not wireless, I don't want the added weight of a battery pack or having to charge every few hours if even that. The headset wire never bothered me with Beat saber or any other games. It will only make it more expensive, add transmission artifacts, extra lag and weight.

I really hope the controllers will work better as that's the main problem with psvr imo. I love NMS in PSVR, after the update the visuals are more than good enough. However the controls and forced comfort options turn me back to playing it on tv. It's a shame. The tracking of the DS4 sucks with gyro drift always an issue. You can't move the galaxy map in VR with the DS4 (comfort option?) which makes it impossible to make large jumps, thus pointless to play in VR when you want to go to the center, which is the whole goal of the game... You can't move as fast in VR, can't scan things from very far. PSVR2 better stop with making things 'comfortable' aka ruining the gameplay!

The million dollar question, are there analog sticks on the new move controllers??? I never want to have to 'walk' with move controllers again!

Around the Network

But a wireless option could take the form of an add-on, instead of the default. "Wireless suffers from the issue of being expensive," Mallinson says. "If you don't care about cables, then it's a lot cheaper than to have a wireless system. But at the same time, having wireless just makes you so much more free."

https://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-vr-plans-for-playstation-5-could-involve-eye-tracking-wireless-and-more/

Hunting Season is done...

I've used every major headset since Rift Dev Kit 2, and many of my favorite experiences came on cell phone VR because wires don't screw up the experience. IMO, wireless is critically important to a good VR experience in most games. If a game is best played standing, or requires a fair amount of movement in your chair, it should be played wirelessly. I think it is far more important than resolution, which I also consider to be very important.

I've been using my PSVR a fair amount lately. Playing a lot of Astrobot. The game is great. But, I find the wires to be a huge factor in breaking the immersion.

My friend always told me he didn't think wires were a big deal. Last weekend, he bought an Oculus Quest, and now says he agrees that wires are a big problem.

If I think about all of this, I'm left with the belief that people that don't think wires are a problem for VR just haven't experienced much wireless.

Anyway, wireless PSVR sounds great to me.

VAMatt said:
I've used every major headset since Rift Dev Kit 2, and many of my favorite experiences came on cell phone VR because wires don't screw up the experience. IMO, wireless is critically important to a good VR experience in most games. If a game is best played standing, or requires a fair amount of movement in your chair, it should be played wirelessly. I think it is far more important than resolution, which I also consider to be very important.

I've been using my PSVR a fair amount lately. Playing a lot of Astrobot. The game is great. But, I find the wires to be a huge factor in breaking the immersion.

My friend always told me he didn't think wires were a big deal. Last weekend, he bought an Oculus Quest, and now says he agrees that wires are a big problem.

If I think about all of this, I'm left with the belief that people that don't think wires are a problem for VR just haven't experienced much wireless.

You really find a wire breaking the immersion more than wearing a helmet?

The Oculus quest is fully standalone and not very powerful as a result. Despite it being years newer than the bulky PSVR it's still the same weight with only 2 to 3 hours battery life. I'v had sessions of Skyrim and DC much longer than that.

For me, comfort is more important for long time use. Which means light weight and no worrying about the battery running out or transmission glitches. A standalone PSVR2 with the ps5 integrated is out of the question so you get the added cost of having to transmit the picture over direct wifi.

Actually the most immersion breaking factor was the big headband of PSVR. When I sit back on the couch the headband is in the way against the head rest. There's a big wear spot on my leather couch now from PSVR.

Anyway as an add-on option it's fine. Battery pack to wear, breakout box for transmission, likely costly. But I hope the standard headset stays wired for the lowest latency, highest fidelity image in a lightweight headset.

SvennoJ said:
VAMatt said:

You really find a wire breaking the immersion more than wearing a helmet?

The Oculus quest is fully standalone and not very powerful as a result. Despite it being years newer than the bulky PSVR it's still the same weight with only 2 to 3 hours battery life. I'v had sessions of Skyrim and DC much longer than that.

For me, comfort is more important for long time use. Which means light weight and no worrying about the battery running out or transmission glitches. A standalone PSVR2 with the ps5 integrated is out of the question so you get the added cost of having to transmit the picture over direct wifi.

Actually the most immersion breaking factor was the big headband of PSVR. When I sit back on the couch the headband is in the way against the head rest. There's a big wear spot on my leather couch now from PSVR.

Anyway as an add-on option it's fine. Battery pack to wear, breakout box for transmission, likely costly. But I hope the standard headset stays wired for the lowest latency, highest fidelity image in a lightweight headset.

You use PSVR on the couch?  I think we just have very different approaches to VR gaming.  I stand or sit in an office chair so that I can rotate freely.  Sitting on a couch seems like working against yourself in terms of achieving immersion.

Definitely the fact that there's a big thing on your head is a major problem.  But, at this point, that is unavoidable.  Wires can be avoided.  I doubt that I'll be spending any more money on wired VR hardware.  

I agree that wireless brings its own issues - latency and fidelity among them.  I'd like to see VR R&D money going to improving in those areas.  

Another major thing that I'd like to see improved, regardless of wires, (and it does seem to be improving) is field of view.  It is an immersion breaking factor as it is right now.   

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

You use PSVR on the couch?  I think we just have very different approaches to VR gaming.  I stand or sit in an office chair so that I can rotate freely.  Sitting on a couch seems like working against yourself in terms of achieving immersion.

Definitely the fact that there's a big thing on your head is a major problem.  But, at this point, that is unavoidable.  Wires can be avoided.  I doubt that I'll be spending any more money on wired VR hardware.  

I agree that wireless brings its own issues - latency and fidelity among them.  I'd like to see VR R&D money going to improving in those areas.  

Another major thing that I'd like to see improved, regardless of wires, (and it does seem to be improving) is field of view.  It is an immersion breaking factor as it is right now.   

It depends on the game, but yep racing, Polybius type games, Ace combat 7, anything with a cockpit. Plus hours of Skyrim I rather do sitting :) The immersion comes from positional tracking, moving your head up down left right forward back is what creates the 'real' effect, far more than stereoscopic 3D for me.

Rotate I rather just do with an analog stick, looking around with my head is perfect while rotating my body with a stick. But I can see how the wire gets in the way when you turn around in an office chair. I rather play without headphones though and since my 5.1 setup doesn't turn around with me it's best to face the same way in reality. Sure it will adjust the sound when you turn around, however it still sounds different when forward is not where the center speaker is. Headphones don't have that low frequency oompf and always make it sound like it's in my head, shrinking the environment.

Better headphones where it sounds like you're actually in a large open area would be nice as well. I've only used stereo headphones though, never tried surround headphones.