By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - are 2 big titles in 1 Year by one developer.. good or bad for awards/sales?

Spiderman = more GOTY Awards, if God of War had not been released in the same year?

100 % YES! 4 40.00%

Yes, i think.. 2 20.00%

No, because.. 2 20.00%

100 % No. 2 20.00%

see results 0 0%

Total:10

A interesting topic/question. God of War won more than 190 Game of the Year Awards, 2018. I personally think Spiderman would have received significantly more awards - if God of War had not been released in the same year! Also in other categorys like "Best Graphic, best Boss Fights". What do you think about this forecast ? The result could be fewer awards/sales figures when one developer publishes several major games in the same year..

Do you agree or different opinions?

The same could happen next year with The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima oO What do you mean?

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 21 September 2019

Around the Network

Ofcourse if the game that won most awards didn't release then other games would've gotten more awards. This is a dumb question to pose, no offense.

Sarkar said:
Ofcourse if the game that won most awards didn't release then other games would've gotten more awards. This is a dumb question to pose, no offense.

I understand this logic, yes ^^ But.. Then it would be better if Sony does not publish 2 such strong titles in the same year? For the future, I mean.

Because the studio then fights against itself and gets less awards (or sales figures) ?!

KazumaKiryu said:
Sarkar said:

I understand this logic, yes ^^ But.. Then it would be better if Sony does not publish 2 such strong titles in the same year? For the future, I mean.

Because Sony then fights against itself and gets less awards (or sales figures) ?!

Limiting themselves to just one major release a year for Awards sake would be a terrible idea and sales would be barely impacted.

God of War sold around 8.5m in 2018
Spiderman sold around 10.5m-11m?

If Spiderman didn't release God of War might have sold marginally better... but we're talking in the 10k-150k range, it's not worth missing out on those 11m sales from Spiderman. Delaying Spiderman to 2019 would have just meant it impacted Day's Gone & Death Stranding instead.

Basically the damage from releasing multiple big games in a single year is negligible and the benefit vastly outweighs it. The only reason to not have released both GoW and Spider-Man in 2018 is if that would have left 2019 with nothing.

Unless they release the same month their impact on each other isn't worth worrying about. It's important to spread releases out, but not releasing in the same year at all is taking it way too far.

No because Red dead also released.

Around the Network
KazumaKiryu said:
Sarkar said:

Because the studio then fights against itself and gets less awards (or sales figures) ?!

WTF?  Awards don't pay bills.  Selling software and hardware does.  The entire award thing is fanboy nonsense.  At the end of the day, winning an award doesn't mean squat.    

Barkley said:
KazumaKiryu said:

Because Sony then fights against itself and gets less awards (or sales figures) ?!

Limiting themselves to just one major release a year for Awards sake would be a terrible idea and sales would be barely impacted.

God of War sold around 8.5m in 2018
Spiderman sold around 10.5m-11m?

If Spiderman didn't release God of War might have sold marginally better... but we're talking in the 10k-150k range, it's not worth missing out on those 11m sales from Spiderman. Delaying Spiderman to 2019 would have just meant it impacted Day's Gone & Death Stranding instead.

Basically the damage from releasing multiple big games in a single year is negligible and the benefit vastly outweighs it. The only reason to not have released both GoW and Spider-Man in 2018 is if that would have left 2019 with nothing.

Unless they release the same month their impact on each other isn't worth worrying about. It's important to spread releases out, but not releasing in the same year at all is taking it way too far.

i understand your thoughts, good to know. Your comment is extensive - really interesting, thanks! but its a little bit sad for the developers, right? I mean for Insomniac Games in this case.

Nogamez said:
No because Red dead also released.

oh yes, red dead redemption 2 too :) but rockstar games has one big release in the last year, right ?

edit: if I were a developer, I would be very happy about prizes/Game of the Year Awards *-* Or you do not care about that? @Chrkeller

KazumaKiryu said:

i understand your thoughts, good to know. Your comment is extensive - really interesting, thanks! but its a little bit sad for the developers, right? I mean for Insomniac Games in this case.

While yeah, they'd like to have more awards I don't think Insomniac developers feel sad in the slightest. Spider-Man is still by far the biggest and most successful game they've ever made. Insomniac games generally sell between 1-4m, now they've just released a game that's going to sell over 15m. Critically it's their best reviewed game since Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction from 2007. Regardless of how many GOTY awards they won, and how many they could have won if there was less competition, I think Insomniac are in a very good mood right now.

KazumaKiryu said:

edit: if I were a developer, I would be very happy about prizes/Game of the Year Awards *-* Or you do not care about that? @Chrkelleroh yes, 

Prizes are cute, but don't ultimately matter.  I am not a software developer, but I am a product developer.  What matters is sales, market share, operating margins, etc.  I would guess most developers don't care how many awards they win.  If their game tanks that is a problem.  Spider-man sold extremely well.  I am guessing the developers are pleased as punch.  More to the point, no I would not space out game releases intentionally to win awards that don't pay salaries and bonuses.  

Chrkeller said:
KazumaKiryu said:

WTF?  Awards don't pay bills.  Selling software and hardware does.  The entire award thing is fanboy nonsense.  At the end of the day, winning an award doesn't mean squat.    

What the topic creator suggests is asinine but let’s not go the other extreme. When the whole awards season starts it’s also the time for Xmas shopping all those articles and videos about how great your game is swarming the internet probably sell more than a few copies.