By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Trump's new tariff proposals include a 25% tax on video game consoles

I sucks that we the consumers have to pay more, but it’s also true that China has been ruining economies worldwide with their cheap exports, plus they steal technology from the west and then use it to make their own products, I agree when Trump says that China has been take advatage from the US, it’s a unwanted scenario but I think it’s the best for the US economy in the long run.

Around the Network
Jon-Erich said:

The problem is when China does things that's competitively unfair. That's how this whole dispute came about. Now, China does not want to cripple the US economically because The US is China's biggest buyer of goods in the world. At this point, China needs the US. A large portion of China's economy involves selling goods to the US. The US however does not need China as much and if China does not want to play fair, then there are plenty of other countries out there that want to sell goods to the US. Also, while setting up in other countries might take some effort, it's not that hard. In fact, the whole notion of having everything made in China is somewhat new. When I was growing up, your products from Nintendo and Sega were made in Japan. Japan made their own stuff. The US made a lot of it's own stuff. The whole idea of moving everything to China only started happening maybe about 20 years ago. So it isn't like China was always that country that made products for everyone and in 10 years, it may be somebody else.

There's only two things that China wants and both of which are technology and tons of valuable resources. China isn't inherently interested in providing for anyone and that especially applies to the America since they'd prefer not to rely on a geopolitical enemy but like all civilizations there needs to be a surplus to produce their own home grown technology so they hold off the hostility against America for now ... 

Both don't need each other. America wouldn't prefer to encourage China and thus are easily replaceable with the likes of India, Vietnam, and Indonesia. China needs those surplus (profit) to fuel and subsidize the development of their own domestic technology so that they could withstand the strictest of the trade embargo from the west and to a lesser extent from the America as well ... 

The funny thing here is with nearly every detractor in here they don't want to admit that Trump is right in this instance and his main opposition much of which are the democrats also support the trade war as well!

How is China independent? Sure they have developed and built many things on their own in the last decade but where did the money come from, plus western companies had to give up their technology to the Chinese in order to produce there.The US remains the biggest economy right now, so finding other consumers won’t be so easy and growing economies like India and Indonesia rely.on exports at least in the present and near future.
So many people here complaining because evil president trump is making their video games more expensive, people don’t care about their country’s economy?

It is true that China steals tech, but one can't just sit back and assume they are the only country to do so... I think China is many cases is unjustly made the villain. To many people assume western business are always so innocent and the victim... we also have a strong history of stealing and spying or unjustly influencing other companies. It's just funny we accuse others of what we ourselves do and somehow that's ok.

gamingsoul said:
How is China independent? Sure they have developed and built many things on their own in the last decade but where did the money come from, plus western companies had to give up their technology to the Chinese in order to produce there.The US remains the biggest economy right now, so finding other consumers won’t be so easy and growing economies like India and Indonesia rely.on exports at least in the present and near future.
So many people here complaining because evil president trump is making their video games more expensive, people don’t care about their country’s economy?

Sure, why not ? This is a democracy, right ? Voters are fickle so they may as well not care about long-term plans. The fact some are petty enough to not see past Trump's rhetoric for every piece of truth that he actually does deliver means that the American republic may have went down the wrong path with democracy ...

China is actively trying to pop the Silicon Valley bubble and turn their world upside down by making it into the next rust belt but by then they'll probably regret not taking Trump more seriously about China ... 

Anybody that doesn't support the trade war may as well support the destruction of Silicon Valley itself ...

Around the Network

Why not have another country push Silicon Valley? If it can't innovate to keep up why should it be propped up? competition is not a bad thing. Huawie will push Qualcomm to compete they have already accomplished a lot in the 4 years the Kirin 900 chip-set has been produced. Already the Kirin 980 beats the Snapdragon 845. My P30 Pro is a fantastic phone and I will gladly get another one on 2 years (P50 Pro?). I believe the 970 lagged far behind but with each gen they get closer and closer... the way things are going they will surpass Qualcomm all together... I would imagine Qualcomm is hopping they choose to keep the processor to themselves and not sell it to others like Samsung.. If you can't keep up then you will fade away... look at my beloved Blackberry as an example. Supporting this trade war could also be argued you are anti competition and innovation.

I for one and anti trade war, they do little but hurt the people that can't afford to be hurt. 

Avro1958 said:

Why not have another country push Silicon Valley? If it can't innovate to keep up why should it be propped up? competition is not a bad thing. Huawie will push Qualcomm to compete they have already accomplished a lot in the 4 years the Kirin 900 chip-set has been produced. Already the Kirin 980 beats the Snapdragon 845. My P30 Pro is a fantastic phone and I will gladly get another one on 2 years (P50 Pro?). I believe the 970 lagged far behind but with each gen they get closer and closer... the way things are going they will surpass Qualcomm all together... I would imagine Qualcomm is hopping they choose to keep the processor to themselves and not sell it to others like Samsung.. If you can't keep up then you will fade away... look at my beloved Blackberry as an example. Supporting this trade war could also be argued you are anti competition and innovation.

I for one and anti trade war, they do little but hurt the people that can't afford to be hurt. 

Americans should have a stake in keeping silicon valley well off since it's their most productive engine. Do you want to see them have another rust belt again ? 

Qualcomm's business is mainly their baseband technology like LTE/5G modems and patent licensing but they're shitty BTW since nobody can bother using their millimeter wave 5G technology ... 

Huawei is a threat because of their leading 5G infrastructure equipment since carriers like T-mobile and Vodafone use them to build their wireless networks ... 

If you're anti-trade war you may as well be pro-deindustrialization since Shenzhen is going kill silicon valley in the process ... 

What is the west going to do in the future when it finds itself reliant on Chinese technology where China could easily one day place an "export embargo" on them until their 'compliant' with Chinese demands ? 

If this winds up making the PS5, and XB2 cost a bunch more money in the states, I will use it to campaign against Trump.

redacted

teamsilent13 said:

redacted

?