By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mortal Kombat Developer Diagnosed with PTSD

pokoko said:
CaptainExplosion said:

He probably couldn't find any other work.

You have anything to support that "probably" or is that an assumption on your part?  Because if someone is able to get a job working on a big videogame franchise, I'm betting they have a decent resume.  

True, but at the same salary? Probably not. In this field there's tons of stories where developers working on high profile franchises can't get work either if it's salary or location, etc. Resumes are also kind of useless in the gaming industry. It's more about who you know than what you know sadly. It's a plus to have a game credit under your belt but connections are almost infinitely more valuable. 

But yes...generally he probably could have gotten grunt work anywhere at least. 

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

“You’d walk around the office and one guy would be watching hangings on YouTube, another guy would be looking at pictures of murder victims, someone else would be watching a video of a cow being slaughtered."

That just made me feel sick, imagineing the work place....
I honestly wouldnt want to work on Mortal Kombat if it was like that.

shikamaru317 said:
Wow, that's fucked up. I've been saying for years that NetherRealm has been taking things too far in terms of Gore and Violence, some of those fatalities are downright demented. And now we learn that they have to watch real life brutality and violence videos for reference purposes, that is just sick.

^ exactly how I feel too.

Like theres a limit and this obviously crosses the line.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
To be honest, I don't even like fatalities or blood and gore on fighting games.

when I was a kid, I used to love Mortal Kombat, and found most of the fatalilties funny, or "okay".
it wasnt as gorey back then, or the pixil art limited how grossed out you could be.

These more modern Mortal Kombats really push the limits, and its no longer something I find funny at all either.
Its one of the reasons why I'd rather play Street Fighter too.

I find the blood & gore too extreme I guess.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 09 May 2019

CaptainExplosion said:
KLXVER said:
Ed Boon said they try to make the fatalities unrealistic...

Are you saying he failed to live up to that idea?

Ljink96 said:
This is one of the reasons why I personally have no intention to work for developers who do this type of 3D Art and Animation. It'll make my career harder but yeah I ain't dealing with that mess.

Death is not something I take lightly, but for those that can handle this type of work environment, kudos to you.

So you prefer working on games that are more simplistic and cartoony? I can get behind that.

You can do realistic art, and graphics, without the gore.
Why does a finishing move need to be so bloodly gorey? it doesnt.

Theres nothing wrong with haveing a funny "finishing" move, to show mastery for bragging rights or domination of a opponent in a fighting game.
Whats wrong is these things used to be silly & fun, and now their really just gore grossout shows.

Whats wrong is the mentality of the developers pushing all this unnessary gore into the game.

What annouys me even more is this american puritan view, game devs are takeing.

Women cant wear sexy outfits anymore.

But make a game with so much violence, gore, blood,.... that developers makeing it get PTSD... and its fine.

It is sick..... go back to sexy ladies, and fun finishing moves instead.

Ljink96 said:

True, but at the same salary? Probably not. In this field there's tons of stories where developers working on high profile franchises can't get work either if it's salary or location, etc. Resumes are also kind of useless in the gaming industry. It's more about who you know than what you know sadly. It's a plus to have a game credit under your belt but connections are almost infinitely more valuable. 

At some point, people have to make decisions for themselves.  I left a very good job with nice benefits because it consisted of repetitive movement that was placing strain on an old injury of mine.  I was taking pain pills during every break and having trouble sleeping.  I didn't blame the company, I simply decided that it wasn't the right job for me and left for the sake of my own well-being.  I'm responsible for me.  When it comes down to it, each person has to decide what they can and cannot handle.  If he wants to stay at a job that's giving him nightmares for the sake of money then that's his own decision and one he's going to have to own.  

pokoko said:
Ljink96 said:

At some point, people have to make decisions for themselves.  I left a very good job with nice benefits because it consisted of repetitive movement that was placing strain on an old injury of mine.  I was taking pain pills during every break and having trouble sleeping.  I didn't blame the company, I simply decided that it wasn't the right job for me and left for the sake of my own well-being.  I'm responsible for me.  When it comes down to it, each person has to decide what they can and cannot handle.  If he wants to stay at a job that's giving him nightmares for the sake of money then that's his own decision and one he's going to have to own.  

No disagreement from me. I'm more speaking on what Explosion said in terms of finding more work in this specific field of work. I sure as hell wouldn't have put up with it. I'm not sticking up for him blaming the developer at all. But making a decision like this is easier said than done for a lot of employees with differing situations, that's all. 

Around the Network

along those lines, I've also heard and seen bts videos where the devs that worked on Dante's Inferno had to use real adult entertainment for ah...reference materials. this would certainly cause cringy and uncomfortable situations for many especially at work. can you imagine doing this everyday as your day-job though? our minds would be insanely warped.

pokoko said:
Ljink96 said:

Someone with a logical mind. Good post.

pokoko said:
Ljink96 said:

it must be nice to have perfect foresight. maybe he really wanted the job, but it got too real. no one joins the miltary hoping to end up with PTSD. none of us really know the whole story, but your take bothers me

SquirrelWhisperer said:
pokoko said:

it must be nice to have perfect foresight. maybe he really wanted the job, but it got too real. no one joins the miltary hoping to end up with PTSD. none of us really know the whole story, but your take bothers me

Perfect foresight?  I literally--as you just quoted it--posted about a job I had that turned out differently than I thought it would when I accepted it.  Perfect foresight?  Really?

At least they protected us from the real traumatizing content: tiddies.