By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bethesda Is Doubling Down On Creation Engine. What Gives?

https://www.techpowerup.com/249476/impaired-creativity-bethesda-to-still-use-creation-engine-for-the-elder-scrolls-vi-starfield#comments

You'd think when Skyrim and Fallout 4 launched with massive, game breaking bugs - you'd think they'd admit/realize that the Creation Engine just isn't suitable for modern games. Especially after Fallout 76's catastrophic launch...

Well...it turns out that they have every intention on continuing with the Creation Engine with their future games like Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6...

My question is...

WHY???

Clearly, it's an antiquated engine that Bethesda's QA and bug testing department can't handle, and no matter how they update the engine - it always ends the same or even worse.

Rockstar Games, Guerilla Games (Horizon), CD Project Red and many others seem to have no problem keeping their bugs down a minimum or outright non existent. (beat HZD twice without encountering a single bug)

But Bethesda, with all the god damn money they made with ES 4 & 5 and Fallout 3 & 4, can't manage to make a new or at least pay another company the rights to someone else's? Like god damn, at this point the Unreal Engine 4 would be SIGNIFICANT upgrade to dumpster fire we know as the Creation Engine...

I don't get it. Is it a question of not wanting to pay Engine royalties? Are they under some contract to where Zenimax HAS to use the Creation Engine for Bethesda's game? Is there a logistical/financial reason that Bethesda/Zenimax refuses to use another engine?

It can't be boiled down to just stubbornness, right? I mean, Todd Howard's hands HAVE to be tied somehow in regards to Bethesda still using Creation Engine despite their sales & reputation taking a MASSIVE hit with Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online...right?

And they want to use the same engine for their next AAA games that'll arrive on the PS5/X2?

Do they have ANY earthly idea of the cataclysmic mistake they're about to make by using that shit ass engine on even newer hardware?

WHY IS THE BETHESDA LIVING IN THE TWILIGHT ZONE????

Around the Network

Erm, they are a crap developer.

This Zaric fellow explains this well in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqymg_prARI

Spoiler: Bethesda is lazy, incompetent or both.

Last edited by Stefan.De.Machtige - on 07 May 2019

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

They really need to completely overhaul their engine, their games feel so janky. Only thing that made Fallout playable to me was VATS, played Oblivion only for a few hours and haven't even bothered with Skyrim

Doesn't a lot of the engine's underlying code date back to Fallout 3, possibly even Oblivion? You can't keep piling new features onto an engine that old, especially the sort of things required to make a Games as a Service title work, and not have things eventually start falling apart.

Around the Network

They suck. They have sucked for a long time.

What's going to be interesting is seeing if the ( admittedly old ) rumor that the pack of boobs running Bethesda started work on a Game Of Thrones title is true or not. I can't imagine it is, but would like to see it happen just for the spectacle of the shit show that would follow. Shouldn't be long now. Oooooo! I hate them so much!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Modding is a part of it. The modding scene is a massive part of Elder Scrolls and Fallout. With Fallout 4, people had limited mods ready on day one. People have been able to transfer some types of mods between Skyrim and Fallout 4 relatively easily.

The other part is probably time. Getting everyone trained up again and then transferring all the systems and assets over would probably add a huge amount of time to development, where we already have to wait many years as it stands.

And, to be honest, Fallout 4 right now is incredibly stable and by far the best shape any of the games have ever been. They've obviously done a lot of work. The major problem is how inefficient the engine is with certain modern techniques, such as the way it handles shadows. However, it could be that they think that will be solved with next gen hardware upgrades.

As for the usual "I hate Bethesda, they're going to crash and burn" people, keep telling yourselves that. The next Elder Scrolls game is going to sell like hot cakes.

Wow, the amount of hate for Bethesda in here is mind boggling. They are responsible for some of the best games ever made! People need to chill, good grief.

gergroy said:
Wow, the amount of hate for Bethesda in here is mind boggling. They are responsible for some of the best games ever made! People need to chill, good grief.

There is a relatively small group of anti-Bethesda people here but they show up in every single thread that even sideways mentions Bethesda or Bethesda games.  Rather than just not play those games and move on to something else, they circle around like vultures and chant "DOOM".  There are still a few others but they'll likely show up soon.  

I don't really mind. There are engines much older then Creation still in use.
They do on the other hand really need to give it some spit, polish and elbow grease.