By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Veknoid's Reviews - Superhero Round-up

Best superhero movie since Infinity War?

Venom 0 0%

Aquaman 0 0%

Captain Marvel 0 0%

Ant-Man and the Wasp 0 0%

Deadpool 2 1 9.09%

Avengers: End Game 3 27.27%

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 7 63.64%

Other 0 0%

Total:11

I've been meaning to write individual reviews on some of the superhero movies that debuted after Infinity War, but haven't found the time. So here are some fun-size mini-reviews, organized from worst to best. I hope you enjoy!

Venom (2018)

Some trailers are misleading, but others are representative of the final product. Such is the case with Venom, which looked lousy from the get-go. With a lazy, contrived script, a group of uninterested actors, an ugly palette, and an unsympathetic protagonist, this meek attempt to bring to life Marvel's edgelord anti-hero is a solid miss. On the bright side, the Symbiote organism is visually interesting, and the Jekyll and Hyde dynamic works in spurts.

Score: 3/10

Aquaman (2018)

James Wan's episodic, tonally-uneven undersea epic is a missed opportunity. It starts out awfully, with voice-over narration, distracting de-aged actors (seriously, they look like cartoons), and a store-bought origin story. Once it begins to embrace the absurdity of its subject matter and morphs into something like a cross between National Lampoon's Vacation and The Odyssey, it improves. Still, like so many recent DC movies, it suffers from poor editing, clumsy special effects, and a visually exhausting light show in the final act. At least this chapter of the disastrous DCEU allows itself to have a little fun.

Score: 4/10

Captain Marvel (2019)

There's a good idea buried in Captain Marvel. The overall premise and the 1990s nostalgia work, and there are some nice performances by Bening (mostly wasted here), Mendelsohn, and Jackson. The principal drawbacks are its lackluster plot, dull action set pieces, and generic villains; it's just a very safe, middle-of-the-road picture. The weirdest problem is star Larson's nebulous characterization of the titular heroine. After 125 minutes, it's still unclear who Captain Marvel is, and why we should care about her.

Score: 5/10

Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)

Featuring a breezy tone, charismatic actors, and some sneaky good performances by veterans like Fishburne and Pfieffer (like Bening, wasted), Ant-Man and the Wasp is a decent installment in the MCU, plain cinematography notwithstanding. Some of the science is dubious, and star Paul Rudd doesn't have much acting range, but a genial demeanor and some fun miniature effects go a long way.

Score: 6/10

Deadpool 2 (2018)

The sequel to one of the more subversive superhero movies of all time is similarly irreverent, hilarious, and violent, although it's narrative flow is inferior and its pool of jokes a tad derivative. Still, this is a fresh, funny movie with a strong ensemble cast, a unique visual identity, and even some pretty smart science fiction. As in the first film, Deadpool 2 retreats to Hollywood conservatism in the end, but for most of its running time it raises a defiant middle finger to the establishment.

Score: 6/10

Avengers: End Game (2019)

It's not as brave or as coherent as Infinity War, but this noble attempt to tie together 20+ movies is about as good as possible, considering the huge cast and even huger expectations. At times it feels as much as a MCU Greatest Hits album as it does a fully-formed motion picture, but the heart, humor, and genuine emotion on screen tend to paper over the abundant fan-service, call-backs, and curtain calls. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll cheer, you will, like Captain America, understand that reference.

Score: 7/10

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Sony Animation, despite being a cinematic 10-car pile-up, somehow gave the world one of the best animated movies of 2018. Spider-Verse is a lot of things: a winning family drama, a clever sci-fi experiment, and an origin/coming-of-age story worthy of arguably the best (Marvel) superhero of all time. The voice performances are great, the animation pops, the action set-pieces are breathless, and the jokes consistently funny. The final battle scene overstays its welcome a bit, and in general the film is a little too self-aware for its own good, but these are minor issues in what has to be the second-best Spidey movie, animated or otherwise.

Score: 8/10

That's a slice of the superhero scene from the past 12 months. I hope you enjoyed! Please sound off with your favorite superhero flicks post-Infinity War.

Last edited by Veknoid_Outcast - on 29 April 2019

Around the Network

Haven't seen a lot of them, but I will give my really brief thoughts on the ones I have seen:

Ant Man and the Wasp: Blandest shit ever (4/10)
Captain Marvel: Its fine, I guess. Really bland like Ant Man (5/10)
Avengers Endgame: I actually kinda enjoyed this more than Infinity War. Everything felt more coherent and there was more time to focus on less characters. Final action scene is probably the best one I have ever seen in any superhero movie (7 or 8/10)
Spider Man: Into the Spider Verse: I loved it. The animation was astounding. The takes on the characters were incredibly fresh and creative. The humor was fantastic. The score was very well done. One of the most creative superhero movies I've ever seen (9 or 10/10)

Man, you are harsh. You really didn't like Aquaman? I thought it was pretty good!

A week ago I would have said Spider-Verse, but now I have to give it to Endgame. It was such an amazing payoff to a story that they'd been setting up for 11 years.

I really need to watch Into the Spiderverse.

Edit: To answer your question - Endgame. I haven't seen Spiderverse, but I doubt anything can top Endgame for me.

Last edited by Moren - on 01 May 2019