By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5>XB4>NS units sold next gen

Pinkie_pie said:
I think so too. Xbox and ps5 will get gta6 next gen and switch will not. We all know gta is the biggest game franchise. Xbox one selling 50-60 million this gen without a new gta is very impressive. Im expecting the next xbox to sell at least 85m just like xbox 360

I could swear GTA V launched on Xbox One.

And unless Sony fuck up, Xbox 4 won't reach X360 numbers.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
bowserthedog said:

I guess the part im having a hard time understanding is how there is any correlation between relative power and console sales.

Usually the highest powered consoles would sell the least.  It was true till this gen with PS4. 

Exactly.  There are of course other factors.  But when it comes to similar systems typically its the system with the best games library that wins. The key to that is getting off to a good start.  Despite being weaker Xbox launched at a higher price point and had fewer good games than PS4.  It's all been momentum since then and a good follow through on content. Xbox One X coming out and being more powerful than PS4 Pro has had a limited effect on ps4 vs Xbox sales. 

RolStoppable said:

1. The industry's ruling isn't consistent nor is it respected. An example of the former is EA who considers gen 8 gen 4 because they like to pretend that there was nothing before the PS1. An example of the latter is the common referencing of the 360 and PS3 as "next gen consoles" by many big third party publishers throughout 2010 while it's recognized that the DS, PSP, 360, PS3 and Wii all belong to gen 7.

Thanks for confirming that your stance is that generations would stop if there was only one console manufacturer left. Hypothetically speaking, if there was no PS5 and XB4, you would count Switch 2, Switch 3 and Switch 4 towards gen 8 despite the year being past 2030 already.

1. @Bold Correction, it's you who doesn't think the industry's ruling is consistent and it's pretty much consensus elsewhere ... 

Despite EA counting generations differently, they still don't acknowledge the Switch as a next generation system so mentioning them in your argument doesn't help. As for why publishers kept only referencing either the 360 or PS3, I don't suppose you can also prove that they truly believed that only those systems existed in the 7th generation ? Without being given much context, you risk twisting their words ... 

RolStoppable said:

2. Switch is creating an uncontested market by offering the option to play home console games on the go while said games are still new. What this addresses are consumers who have time constraints and can't find enough time to play video games if they are restricted to the stationary use of a game console.

You should address the actual point and explain how a console that sees as much TV usage as the Switch is not competing with stationary home consoles. You've been trying to distract from that for a few posts now.

2. There you are again caught making more excuses for your favourite corporation ... /s (not like I was expecting anything else) 

FYI, that's still 2 separate markets!

Unified functionality =/= (new) Unified market 

Smartphones have the ability to play "home console games on the go" so logic would dictate that they compete against home consoles as well but you don't see many home console owners actually taking the bait, do you now ? Once again rol, you're victim of your own logic and double standards so maybe you should stop with the exceptionalism for your own benefit ?

RolStoppable said:

Alright, it's time to bring this to an end. We've had two separate points run concurrently in which you claimed:

1. The industry dictates which generation any given console belongs to.
2. Switch is not a home console. Switch does not compete with home consoles.

Now here's the catch: The NPD Group you brought up considers Switch a current generation home console. What this means is that you gladly used NPD's classification for point 1 because it suited your argument, but then immediately turned around and rejected NPD's classification of Switch in point 2. While you were busy to twist my words to accuse me of double standards, you committed an actual and blatant double standard yourself.

The NPD Group never directly implied that the Switch was a 'home' console but nice try as always with the Nintendo exceptionalism ... 

I think you should really stop with the double standard because you're digging yourself a bigger hole ... 

bowserthedog said:
sethnintendo said:

Usually the highest powered consoles would sell the least.  It was true till this gen with PS4. 

Exactly.  There are of course other factors.  But when it comes to similar systems typically its the system with the best games library that wins. The key to that is getting off to a good start.  Despite being weaker Xbox launched at a higher price point and had fewer good games than PS4.  It's all been momentum since then and a good follow through on content. Xbox One X coming out and being more powerful than PS4 Pro has had a limited effect on ps4 vs Xbox sales. 

Yep.  Usually most powerful system cost the most which hinders their sales.  Most famous case would be the Neo Geo.  They are then bogged down in sales due to lack of system sellers or third party support.  PS3 could have had a chance in beating the Wii in sales if it didn't launch with such a high price but they couldn't afford cutting it anymore due to massive losses they incurred at start of the generation.  Heck it was cheaper than most blu ray players at time but still way too expensive.  Sony was finally able to toss the most powerful system never winning sales by pricing PS4 competitively and MS messing up at start of gen with horrible PR.  I am of course just talking about base model power and not including the Pro and X models.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Pinkie_pie said:
I think so too. Xbox and ps5 will get gta6 next gen and switch will not. We all know gta is the biggest game franchise. Xbox one selling 50-60 million this gen without a new gta is very impressive. Im expecting the next xbox to sell at least 85m just like xbox 360

I could swear gta5 released last gen for the ps3 and 360. I said new as in a gta after gta5

SpokenTruth said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Are you suggesting GTA VI is the reason the Xbox 4 will outsell Nintendo Switch?

Aside from that, No way in hell is Xbox One selling 60 million units.  That's 17.5 million from now with an anticipated total sales of just 4.5 million this year.  Hell, they will be lucky to even hit the 50 million mark, let alone 60 million.

Oh, and Looks like Switch will do 80-100 million this gen without a GTA at all.

Look what gta5 did for the xbox 360. It sold 85m

Pinkie_pie said:

I agree, the Switch won't get GTA6.  The Switch's successor might though since I don't think GTA6 will be coming out for a long time.

Pinkie_pie said:
DonFerrari said:

I could swear gta5 released last gen for the ps3 and 360. I said new as in a gta after gta5

GTA didn't dictate the success or fail of PS3 or PS4. You are just trying an arbitrary game to decide that it would make Xbox next win. X360 and X1 had GTAs and none have won. X360 was third, and if one consider Switch part of gen 8 and console X1 would be third as well, if not it would be second. So using your points having 2 new GTAs X360 finished last, without new GTA X1 finished second, so by this we can conclude that if GTA doesn't release at all Xbox4 will win. That is the type of conclusion you are making.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Hiku said:
SpokenTruth said:

Correlation is not causation.

Look what the lack of bears did for PS4. They shipped PS4 without including a grizzly bear in the package, preventing you from getting mauled when you open it, and it will pass 100m this year.

Its confirmed..... not shipping a bear along with a console, increases sales!