By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Confirmed Backward Compatibility

DonFerrari said: 
spemanig said:

Stadia is more powerful than XBO X and PS4 Pro combined. That was confirmed by the specs shown at its reveal. I don't know where you heard that it's only XBO X-level, but that's false.

Stadia is also shooting for 4K 60fps at launch, with 8K 60fps as time progressed. I don't really like thrown out numbers like that anyway because it's just unsubstantiated flexing, but that's also something that was said explicitly at reveal. It has as much validity atm as anything confirmed so far for PS5.

I'm really just curious how streaming platforms will compare spec-wise to standalone consoles. The next 3 years will be buy far the most interesting in gaming since maybe the Wii/DS/XB Live era. So transformative with streaming, VR, and new hybrid platforms like Switch entering the mainstream. (pun intended) Considering rumors of PS5 being $500, I wonder if they'll consider selling a cheaper $400/$450 model that's digital only. Exciting times!

On the reveal I just heard they were posed for next gen. And if you knew the specs why were you asking?

Digital only just saves the money on the drive, 30USD by losing the drive doesn't seem exciting at all.

And yes being server based they can up the spec of their server as much and often as they want, but considering what we have been seeing on Netflix, Youtube, PSNow and internet infrastructure I don't think real experience on streaming will be better than regular console for next gen.

I only know certain specs, enough to know that it's significantly more powerful than the XBO X. I was musing on how it compares to the PS5 specifically, which isn't known. That's not hard to follow.

I don't know how much it would save, but if the box is going to be more expensive than last gen, and digital is overtaking physical, any attempt by Sony to cut the price will likely be appreciated; now more than ever.

I'm confused - have we been seeing something bad on Netflix, Youtube, PSNow and internet infrastructure?

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

That article has some interesting info indeed.  Here is what I get from a business perspective.

Pros:
-Disc based
-Backwards Compatibility

Cons:
-Powerful (pricey?)
-VR is going to be a priority
-Not releasing this year

So far PS5 is not doing too hot.  It is looking kind of like the PS3, but it may be too early to tell.  If they are smart they will do an early 2020 release, and maybe the VR is mostly talk.  We'll see.

How is prioritizing VR, in the decade most positioned for it to enter the mainstream, at all a business con? It would be beyond ignorant for them not to focus on VR going forward, even more than they currently are.

Regarding the price of the PS5, Peter Rubin (the one who interviewed Cerny for WIRED) has tweeted that he asked about the price, and the response he got was "I believe that we will be able to release it at an SRP [suggested retail price] that will be appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set."

What that does mean is to anyone's guess.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Regarding the price of the PS5, Peter Rubin (the one who interviewed Cerny for WIRED) has tweeted that he asked about the price, and the response he got was "I believe that we will be able to release it at an SRP [suggested retail price] that will be appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set."

People would firstly have to recognise the strengths and merits of such technology and features. Unfortunately the average consumers is pretty ignorant and blinded by brand loyalty and merely eat up all the buzzwords and numbers thrown at them.

"Xbox One and PS4 both offer external SSDs that claim to improve load times. But not all SSDs are created alike. As Cerny points out, “I have an SSD in my laptop, and when I want to change from Excel to Word I can wait 15 seconds.” What’s built into Sony’s next-gen console is something a little more specialized."
Complete bullhonky. Typical marketing speech. Downplaying every other solution in order to make the new product appear special, which it really isn't.

"I got a PlayStation 4 Pro and then I put in a SSD that cost as much as the PlayStation 4 Pro—it might be one-third faster." As opposed to 19 times faster for the next-gen console, judging from the fast-travel demo."
More conjectured bullshit. Presenting regular technology as if the new plastic box uses magic that is not found in any consumer grade PC.

I don't think he's talking about a regular 2.5" SATA SSD that you can plop into a PS4 today. It must be an M.2 PCIe SSD card, which is much faster than a regular SATA SSD interface.

SATA SSDs have a maximum speed of 600 MB per second, while M.2 PCIe cards can reach 4 GB per second.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Rumored RAM leak...

24 GB RAM in total (20 GB usable by games)

8 GB in form of 2 * 4-Hi stacks HBM2

I won't believe it until Cerny/Sony states that himself. I'm thinking more along the lines of 16GB (HBM2 or G6) with 4GB of DDR4 for the OS for a total of 20GB.

8 GB in form of 2 * 4-Hi stacks HBM2

HBM is expensive, hope not.

Random_Matt said:
JEMC said:

People would firstly have to recognise the strengths and merits of such technology and features. Unfortunately the average consumers is pretty ignorant and blinded by brand loyalty and merely eat up all the buzzwords and numbers thrown at them.

Well, making people understand that the price is worth it is Sony's job.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

spemanig said:
DonFerrari said: 

On the reveal I just heard they were posed for next gen. And if you knew the specs why were you asking?

Digital only just saves the money on the drive, 30USD by losing the drive doesn't seem exciting at all.

And yes being server based they can up the spec of their server as much and often as they want, but considering what we have been seeing on Netflix, Youtube, PSNow and internet infrastructure I don't think real experience on streaming will be better than regular console for next gen.

I only know certain specs, enough to know that it's significantly more powerful than the XBO X. I was musing on how it compares to the PS5 specifically, which isn't known. That's not hard to follow.

I don't know how much it would save, but if the box is going to be more expensive than last gen, and digital is overtaking physical, any attempt by Sony to cut the price will likely be appreciated; now more than ever.

I'm confused - have we been seeing something bad on Netflix, Youtube, PSNow and internet infrastructure?

We don't have much on PS5 to compare besides what is in the OP.

If the 14TF target it could mean 40% extra.

You can ask around here, the drive doesn't cost more than 30. MS discless X1 is MSRP 250 and MS promissed it will always be 50 cheaper than X1S, that considering margin and they pushing a new model, X1S had a 4K drive, etc.

JEMC said:

That would mean 499, more than 399 but compensated by advanced feature. That considering Sony learnt from PS3.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mr_No said:

This is all good. I don't expect to have something as fancy as ray-tracing to be available with the console (at least the launch SKU), but what I'm very excited for is all this BC talk. PlayStation 4 BC has me excited, but what I'm keeping an eye on is on the patents they've filed months ago regarding a BC method to play the previous games, particularly PS3 ones. If there's PS3 BC confirmed, whether it's physical, digital or streaming, I'd be very pleased.

Now what I'm fearful about is their next-gen pricing plan for PS Plus and PSNow. I bet that, not only they'll offer both services individually like right now, but they'll increase its cost and will offer a pricey bundle to entice people to try both.

PS3 BC is unlikely to happen, PS4 BC is positive because of the same architecture used in PS5 and PS4, it is a different story to PS3 which uses Cell processors.

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Don't drink the Kool-Aid, you will be disappointed.

They couldn't even keep dynamic weather in GT Sport!

No Kool-Aid, he is presenting it happening in front of the reporter.

You don't think SSD will load faster and that can change how open world games are created and navigated?

I believe that's more dependent on the actual game and other specs versus the storage medium.

While SSD is faster, RAM is significantly faster. So if the PS5 has like 20GB of RAM, I believe that's helping playing a bigger role in fast traveling. I mean that's four times storage a PS4 has for games so much of assets and textures could already be in the RAM.

That's also last gen content he's running, so don't expect the same for actual 9th gen games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)