By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Animal Liberation Now!!

fatslob-:O said:
I just can't! Life would massively suck without any source of muscle or fat tissue to gnaw on ...

I am not going to give up eating bacon, ribs, beef, chicken, and especially succulent fish like tuna or salmon ...

A) "I just can't!", is what drug addicts often say about giving up their drug addictions, and is a very poor reason to not stop doing things.

B) it's proving to be relatively easy to fool someone into thinking they're eating meat, even when they're not.  Humans aren't well adapted to being omnivores by any reasonable definition.  You see that in the fact that omnivores have the highest rates of disease in population studies, even amongst so-called "healthy omnivores" who avoid smoking/drinking/junk food, they're still significantly less healthy than plant-based eaters.  Humans can't taste protein (real omnivores typically can), so if you can mimic the other flavours (salts, fats, etc.) of meat, and the texture, then you can make someone think they're eating meat.  The Beyond Burger, Impossible Burger, Beyond KFC, etc., are just the beginning and they're only going to get more convincing as time goes on.

In the near future meat alternatives will be at least as healthy, taste nearly identical, and will be cheaper than actual meat.  At that point most people will be giving it up.  Animal agriculture is dying a slow death, which is good because animal agriculture is the single-largest threat to the environment and the future of humanity on this planet.  We've already devoted nearly 40% of the planet's ice-free land, over 50% of the planet's grain, and a majority of the planet's antibiotic supply to animal agriculture.  Animal agriculture is a leading cause of greenhouse gases, groundwater contamination and depletion, deforestation, species extinction, antibiotic-resistant bacteria, chronic disease, and so much more.  Modern animal agriculture is the definition of unsustainable.