By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Japan's new era name was announced: Reiwa

Ka-pi96 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

A monarchy can also be a democracy.

Only a shitty one though.

You should definitely read about Belgium's political system.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
RenCutypoison said:

IIRC Belgium set a record for longest period of time without a government or something so yeah...

Edit: Yep, https://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/06/world/europe/belgium-government/index.html

Pretty shitty indeed. Although it would still be shitty even without the unwanted record due to the monarchy. Nice to see their pro-"glorious leader" propaganda is working though, I guess Belgium has more in common with north Korea than I thought. My condolences.

First off, 541 days without a government that didn't lead to long term consequences, while staying clear of the global financial crisis (global crisis came to us after we got a government back). Do you realise how stable a country needs to not have a single riot without government for 541 days ?

Second, the king has very little power. He gets to choose which of the elected official gets to choose the prime minister and that's about it. He signs the laws but never reject anything that went trough the parliaments, because he knows he would be overthrown real fast and needs to listen to the people

Third, a King in a country that doesn't need him but has separated powers controlling each others (aka democratic) means there is one more pair of eyes preventing power abuse.

Also, lawl at glorious leader. I mean there must be like 10 people in the whole country considering the king as the leader. Everyone knows the big boss is the prime minister, the king's just there to keep an eye on him.

RenCutypoison said:
vivster said:

It's alright I guess. But as much as we harp on the US to finally go metric we should do the same for Japan to finally shed that useless era crap. I know that whole emperor thing is a pretty big deal in Japan, kinda like the Queen in England, but seriously, it needs to stop. Monarchies should not exist in this day and age.

If it were to be it'd be up to the japanese citizens.

The Emperor is mostly symbolic at this point, much like Belgium's King, but they were stripped of their powers and part of its symbols by another country.

Self-sovereignty should take precedence over imported ideologies.

And that's how we got Brexit, Donald Trump, China's de facto dictatorship and the various human rights abuses in middle eastern countries. Countries aren't isolated, they affect everything.

Also, I wouldn't call abolishment of monarchy an "imported ideology". More like, common sense.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
RenCutypoison said:

If it were to be it'd be up to the japanese citizens.

The Emperor is mostly symbolic at this point, much like Belgium's King, but they were stripped of their powers and part of its symbols by another country.

Self-sovereignty should take precedence over imported ideologies.

And that's how we got Brexit, Donald Trump, China's de facto dictatorship and the various human rights abuses in middle eastern countries. Countries aren't isolated, they affect everything.

Also, I wouldn't call abolishment of monarchy an "imported ideology". More like, common sense.

Once the monarchy has been stripped of all powers, or at least most, it's just a symbol. Scratching a symbol for someone else's "common sense" (going by the idea people want to keep it) would just piss off people for absolutely no actual results.

As for Donald Trump, Brexit, Xi Jinping and the middle east situation (you can add Bolsonaro, Duterte, and a bunch of other stuff btw), people are entitled to their own mistakes. Of course it affects other, but if you forcefully prevent someone from making a mistake, you're just going to delay it for a bigger explosion later on.

People do mistakes for various reasons. You can reason them, pressure them into not making a huge fuckup. But international pressure alone won't fix the problems that led to the said bad decision.

Basically if you don't let countries make mistake, they won't learn from it. Even if this means the international community has to go full damage control for years before the country realizes it's done something wrong, at least you don't let them build up resentment before they still do the said mistake while also hating you.

Ka-pi96 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

A monarchy can also be a democracy.

Constitutional monarchies are generally more stable then semi-presidential republics.

Monarchies are qualitatively better.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Constitutional monarchies are generally more stable then semi-presidential republics.

Wow that's a hot take.

I get that some people like to see the royal ceremonies and things like that but you also have to admit that it is a huge money burn with no real benefit outside of the entertainment. Also constitutional monarchies might be more stable but they're not necessary democratic, after all the to this day longest lasting democracy in the modern sense are the United States.

MrWayne said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Wow that's a hot take.

I get that some people like to see the royal ceremonies and things like that but you also have to admit that it is a huge money burn with no real benefit outside of the entertainment. Also constitutional monarchies might be more stable but they're not necessary democratic, after all the to this day longest lasting democracy in the modern sense are the United States.

The money burn isn't really an argument. The French republican system costs about 100 million euros a year to support. The Spanish monarchy around 9 million. Technically the British parliamentary system is older then the US.

Ka-pi96 said:
RenCutypoison said:

IIRC Belgium set a record for longest period of time without a government or something so yeah...

Edit: Yep, https://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/06/world/europe/belgium-government/index.html

Pretty shitty indeed. Although it would still be shitty even without the unwanted record due to the monarchy. Nice to see their pro-"glorious leader" propaganda is working though, I guess Belgium has more in common with north Korea than I thought. My condolences.

The parliament and government in Belgium caused the problem, the monarchy was instrumental in actually fixing the deadlock.

WolfpackN64 said:
MrWayne said:

Wow that's a hot take.

The money burn isn't really an argument. The French republican system costs about 100 million euros a year to support. The Spanish monarchy around 9 million. Technically the British parliamentary system is older then the US.

It is a good argument. You're comparing the cost of the french republican system with the costs for the spanish monarchy but you completely forget to mention that spain also has a republican democratic system they have to pay for. The 9 million spain spends on the monarchy are mostly redundant costs. In a republic the president fulfills all the roles the monarch normally would have without spending money on useless things like royal marriages and the royal family in general. Also most royal families acquired huge amounts of money and properties throughout the centuries, when a monarchy gets abolished most of these money and properties go directly to the state.

I said democracy in the modern sense, at the time of Declaration of Independence only a very small amount of people in the UK could actually vote for the british parliament and until 1911 the house of Lords, a parliament consisting of unelected aristocrats, had a significant amount of power in the government. If you call the UK a democracy in 1776 you could as well call the holy roman empire a democracy because the emperor was elected by the seven Prince-electors.

manuel said:
HollyGamer said:
What a time to be alive, we can see a transition of Japanese era.

Yeah, that doesn't happen too often. Should be very interesting, especially for people interested in the Shinto religion.

What does the new era mean for the Shinto religion?