By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Republican Party Discussion

If I was a betting man... At this stage, I'd put money on Trump to go back to back...

That's what I feel all the way from Australia, anyway.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Eagle367 said:

You mean in the DNC or the government? Trust me there are plenty of corrupt corporatists in both. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Shumer for 2. The DNC tried to block new progressives with their recent policy remember. And the US government recently appointed a war criminal on Elliot Abrams to handle Venezuela plus it has tools like Barr and Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump and Kelly Anne Conway and Betsie Devos among others. Trust me there are many shady people in power in the DNC, GOP and the government. The fight of the people Vs the corporatists is just beginning.

At least some are owning up their mistake of giving all their support to Clinton and screwing Sanders over, and vowing to not do that again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hXOYZUzsLU

However, this thread is for the republican primaries, so I think we better drop the subject here and move over to the one of the democratic primaries for that.

Sure, but what is there to discuss here man? No major opponent to Trump. It's basically his primary.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

SpokenTruth said:
Several states, including Nevada, South Carolina, Arizona and Kansas, are all contemplating or moving forward with plans to cancel their primaries/caucuses despite the fact that two official challengers for the Republican nomination exist. These states are claiming it is simply to save costs given the long shot potential of the two challengers and they are not without precedent. Many states in the past for both parties have canceled their primaries/caucuses if an incumbent president is highly liked by the party and the challengers pose little threat.

But as to be expected, Walsh and Weld are very unhappy and are challenging them to keep their primaries/caucuses. But just like their challenge of the president himself, they will almost certainly lose these too.

Even if they would lose I feel like the GOP is trying yo avoided a Bush/Carter/Ford situation. Low approval president + Hard primary = Lost general. The GOP is actively trying to make the primary season easy for Trump so he's not hurt in the general. 

It will be interesting to see those in the FoxBreitbartsphere argue that the GOP cancelling the primaries is awesome while what the Democrats did with Hillary is evil and an example of they ard against the will of the people.

@SpokenTruth Another one joins the race.

Around the Network

I'm closer to a republican than a democrat but I wish we had someone good to run against Trump in the primaries ... I just don't like the man and I like him even less as a President. I blame the Dems for not running a better opponent against him last cycle. I liked Hillary less than Trump. I didn't vote last cycle and voted for Johnson the cycle before that. I'm starting to think I'm just old. I have liked primary candidates before but haven't liked a President since Regan and I was an idiot 13 year old when he left office.

Bandorr said:
The_Yoda said:
I'm closer to a republican than a democrat but I wish we had someone good to run against Trump in the primaries ... I just don't like the man and I like him even less as a President. I blame the Dems for not running a better opponent against him last cycle. I liked Hillary less than Trump. I didn't vote last cycle and voted for Johnson the cycle before that. I'm starting to think I'm just old. I have liked primary candidates before but haven't liked a President since Regan and I was an idiot 13 year old when he left office.

The cycle before I assume you mean 2012. If you voted for him in 2012, why not 2016?

2012, you are correct.  Didn't like either Romney or Obama.

Because for the 2016 cycle I was halfway to work before realizing it was election day.  Didn't have the time to turn around just to cast an "I'm disgusted with the two parties' nominees" vote, I was disappointed not to get to vote in any of the other elections that cycle though.

Trump has the primary in the bag. From what I've seen, his support among Republicans is higher than it was in 2016, and he had independent/first-time-voters last time, they didn't show in 2018 but I can't imagine him having lost most of his base he had going into November 2016.

The general is far off, but if I had to bet now, I'd say he'll get reelected, for a number of reasons, but we're also in uncharted territory so who knows.

SpokenTruth said:
The_Yoda said:

But not the Republicans for nominating him?

The_Yoda said:

Because for the 2016 cycle I was halfway to work before realizing it was election day.  Didn't have the time to turn around just to cast an "I'm disgusted with the two parties' nominees" vote, I was disappointed not to get to vote in any of the other elections that cycle though.

And this is why Election Day should be a national holiday and happen on the weekend.

Of course the republicans were at fault, I think Bernie could have beat him but the Dems screwed him over in favor of the shrew.

Bandorr said:
The_Yoda said:

In 2016 you some how didn't know when the election was. Which baffles me how that is even possible.  You would have to be living in a cave to not know that. Literally you couldn't have been reading reddit, watching cable TV, twitter, facebook, or reading anything even close to political to miss that.  Even VGchartz was constantly talking about it.

Yet at the same time seemed to hate Hilary more than Trump. Even though again you didn't know when the election was making me wondering how closely if at all you followed the election coverage.

You blame the democrats for not putting up someone "better" than trump, but don't seem to blame the republicans for actually putting up trump in the first place.

If your objection is to only having two parties it sounds like you couldn't have voted for either the dem or the republican no matter who was nominated.

Have you actually ever voted for a dem or repub?

I knew when it was (day of the week and date) but when you wake up on the late side for work you get dressed and dash out the door.  I don't always stop to consider the date in a situation like that, more worried about being late and waking up. I stream TV solely, so no cable.  I don't do social media so no facebook, twitter or myspace. Again even if I used those outlets I wouldn't have had time that day to utilize them. You might also note I used the word "realizing" rather then say "finding out".

I don't hate either of them. Your word, not mine.  I will admit to not following that cycle as closely as I had previous cycles.  I even missed some of the debates.  That cycle though was for sure the epitome of Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich. As you can see in the response above this one I do blame the republicans, the Dems could have played fairly within their own party and beaten the idiotic (in my opinion) choice of the Repubs.  I suppose being progressive with a woman may have been more important than winning with a man.  I could easily be wrong on that statement though.  Why do you think the Dems chose to play it like they did?

We have more than two choices but the independent is normally a throw away vote. I'd rather vote my conscience than for the lesser of two evils. Also note I said "I'm disgusted with the two parties' nominees" ...nominees not two party system. That said I would welcome more choices than just Demorat, Repuglican, Dimwitipendant.

Yes I have voted for Dems and Repubs before but I have never voted straight ticket (seems loyalist, uninformed, and somehow wrong).