By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Sword and Shield coming late 2019 worldwide

Watching the trailer again, I got a bit more dissapointed with the graphics.I wouldnt go as far as to say that its just the 3DS games, without the hardware limitations, but goddammit, they didnt put too much effort into it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
RingoGaSuki said:

The starters are very eh (Grass Chimchar? Really, that's the best idea you had?) and it's showing no improvement over Sun and Moon.. I'm like random encounters and happy that gyms seem to be back (yet unconfirmed), but again it just seems really lazy. Dragon Quest XI has a similar style and yet it looks so much better, the teams aren't that different in size, Game Freak needs to be more ambitious.

I am very happy that the reveal lacked the distinctly child focused feel that Sun and Moon's had though, hopefully that means a more veteran focused game

Is DQ a yearly series? Because I think Pokemon is. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

areason said:
I hope their is difficulty settings, or else their is no point really

You can make it harder by not reviving your pokemons when they are fainted. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Eh, not as good looking as I hoped, really wanted the game to be more open, maybe not full open world but close to it. That bunny is so gonna become Fire/Fighting lul.

Jranation said:
melbye said:

Looks like random encounters and that the Pokemon are not visible in the world. That is sadly a huge turn-off for me. I really hope i am wrong

mZuzek said:

Am I the only one who noticed that fucking RANDOM ENCOUNTERS are back?

Edit: oh, I guess not. Seriously, what an instantly massive disappointment that was. Huge turn-off for me. At least gyms are back, I guess... time will tell but I'm really not excited about this atm. Starters looked super lame as well.

Nautilus said:
It looks good, but I honestly expected a bit more.Why random battles are back?Camera seems to be a mix of third person and "fixed".The fixed cameras and random battles shouldnt have come back.Tradition is one thing, but sticking to old mechanics is another.

But I have to say that Im still interested.I just hope they push the franchise foward in other aspects.

Maybe after how many fans loved the idea, they couldnt implement it during the creation of the trailer. Perhaps there is a chance of it being shown closer to release date? 

Knowing Gamefreak, I really doubt it.They like playing it safe because Pokemon will make them millions upon millions of dollars either way.

The only thing that would make Gamefreak do some changes that might be considered "radical" is if a mainline game dosent sell well.And thats not happening anytime soon.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Around the Network
uran10 said:
SOOOOO HYPED!!!!!!!!!!! The games looks so good!

I knew you would be happy with the direct XD

Looks like good ol' Pokemon in HD and on a hot console.

Sword/Shield is gonna be the best-selling Pokemon games since Gold/Silver.

Nautilus said:
Jranation said:

Maybe after how many fans loved the idea, they couldnt implement it during the creation of the trailer. Perhaps there is a chance of it being shown closer to release date? 

Knowing Gamefreak, I really doubt it.They like playing it safe because Pokemon will make them millions upon millions of dollars either way.

The only thing that would make Gamefreak do some changes that might be considered "radical" is if a mainline game dosent sell well.And thats not happening anytime soon.

True. Perhaps the Switch games costing more than the 3DS games can affect its sales. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Nautilus said:

True. Perhaps the Switch games costing more than the 3DS games can affect its sales. 

For a franchise that usually sells around 15 million units for each game?Hardly.

Very mixed feelings. They're still basically using the same models as Let's Go, which is disappointing. Some environments looked great with nice art, while others suffer from poor textures, Not happy that they're going back to random encounters with the overhead camera angle. The first true HD mainline Pokemon game should have had Pokemon on the overworld at all times. Return of gyms is ok, but the game really needs to do much more now that Pokemon is going HD.

Now I'm worried this will be like an HD version of X and Y rather than a true evolution of the series. I hope they prove me wrong in the months to come, because right now it looks like Lets Go did more to move the series forward than the new generation is doing.

I hope they get some direct help from Monoliftsoft next time.  Moving from 3DS to HD development can't be easy.