By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Red Dead Redemption II: Trophy Hunt

I'm not much of a trophy/achievement hunter overall, in that I rarely make a point to get platinum or 100% in games, but sometimes I like the pride that comes with having that bar filled up or that icon showing. Especially with games I love, games that I replay, or games that I put on my favourites list. 

I know I'm not the only one. 

But have any of you decided on a quest to get that platinum and gave up or genuinely felt defeated? I've gotten platinum trophies for the Dark Souls games, Bloodborne, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, Skyrim, and many, many others, so it's not like I'm unwilling to put in the time or effort to get hard trophies if I love the game enough. (Soulsborne games are hard to start and have some complicated paths to take in order to get all the achievements, FF games are long and require a LOT of dedication and planning, while Skyrim took me upwards of 250 hours on my latest playthrough to get it all). 

So why is it that, despite falling in love with Red Dead Redemption II, I have no desire to go through the work needed to get the platinum on this game? Sure, I WANT it, I opened up files and actually saved a series of websites and walkthroughs to do so, I meticulously stepped around each camp's companion activities and random fetch quests, and I even recorded and modified a mission flow-chart so I wouldn't miss anything...but the more I read about what you have to do to get the platinum, the less desire I have. 

Not to mention the whole epilogue stuff. Not looking forward to that for obvious reasons (Those who play the game know what I'm talkin' about.)

So I ask you all, with Red Dead Redemption II, is there a trick or something that would make getting this platinum easier? Is it as hard as I'm making it out to sound or am I just whining? For the longest time I thought that, while the "Gold Rush" Trophy (get 70 gold medals across the 100+ missions in the game) would be the hardest, it was doable, I recently discovered that if you go back to the mission through the menu you have no weapons, no items, and none of your stat boosters that you earned throughout the game! 

This is a problem. 

The missable trophies are a pain in the ass (Even though I already got 3/4 of them with the last one requiring a few optional side missions in chapter 6). completion requires hundreds of collectibles, skinned creatures, and perfect pelts. Doing random side missions feels more like filler than anything else, and then there's the online. 

Holy crap *^)# the online! 

So, I'm told that there is/was an exploit to get a tonne of experience....which STILL Takes 40+ hours to complete! THE ONLINE ALONE! Doing it without the exploit - which I'm certain has been patched - is said to take 100 hours on its own! 

This all on top of the ridiculous amount of time, dedication, and luck needed to get those gold medals and 100% completion in the compendium. Aint nobody got time fo dat! 

So am I missing or misunderstanding something here? this doesn't sound like a 6/10 trophy hunt, this is 9/10 for sure. Maybe not for skill, but definitely for time needed. 

I end with a question: Does anyone here have the platinum/100% And if so, how did you do it? I want it but I am convinced it's not worth my time and I'm certain I'd rather be playing Soul Calibur or whatever. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android