By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Epic planned to have to destructible in gears 1

*my bad on title*

Quote from the "about" section of gears of war on Epic's website.

"The use of cover has existed since the advent of the shooter, and it has progressed in many forms. This past generation introduced new elements such as destructible environments and the ability to go prone, but Epic is taking it a step farther by creating a deeper and more useable cover experience through context sensitivity and intuitive controls.

Although cover is the key to survival in Gears of War, it is transient, so cowering behind an object for an eternity is no longer an option. Enemies can easily blow away different types of cover you use, leaving you vulnerable to shell-shock. Likewise, enemies have at their disposal the same tools as you use, and the advanced AI ensures they’ll use it just as effectively. And throughout all of this, gunfire is blazing over your head and explosions are becoming second nature. Gears of War is setting the stage for a frantic and lethal battlefield with each and every encounter, and the dynamic cover will add another grizzly layer to this."

This was made before the release back in 2006. Obviously Epic had plans for destructible environments, but never added it into the game. Atleast it will be in GoW 2

http://www.youtube.com/sweetlamakidsenior .....SSBB, Gears, GTA vids

Sweetlamakid got banned so it's now sweetlamakidsenior

"Good games come and go, but Gears is forever"

Around the Network

Better late than never. I have a lot more confidence in its happening this time around after watching those GDC tech demos.

Was I the only one who didn't was shocked about the destructive environnement thing they showed?

When I saw that I really thought 'Wow better late than never'. (like De85).

well I was shocked it wasn't in the first one... and that's one of things I hated about GoW2 how your bullet impacts sucked....

but looking at the new tech demo it's going to be corrected and rather well imo

i guess they didnt put it in because this way by saying it is in the second one it will attract more people.

all the first game really needed was a story and a few more weapons.

Around the Network

It would not have been the first game to do it. Black did it in 06, and a few PC FPS's did it (I think Delta Force).

Great to have it in Gears 2 though :). I can't wait for this game!

Wow, way to finally get with the time on that front Epic.

One of the few things that bothered me with Gears was the very lame attempt at physics and destructible environments (of course UT2k4 just didn't do physics if you had more than one player). Glad to see they're finally getting with it.

twesterm said:
Wow, way to finally get with the time on that front Epic.

One of the few things that bothered me with Gears was the very lame attempt at physics and destructible environments (of course UT2k4 just didn't do physics if you had more than one player). Glad to see they're finally getting with it.

You talk like all shooters have destructable environments, but most don't. Unless we mean mildly destructable...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

To be fair, there were 'a few' pieces of destructible cover in Gears 1--couches, dressers, etc. could be torn apart with a hail of gunfire or a grenade. But no, it wasn't nearly as much as they promised. Gears 2 looks to rectify this in a big way, though!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

So far destructable environments have been one of the most disappointing things about this generation...
Are there games (besides, I assume, Crysis) with non-lame destructable environments? If so, I must not have played them...

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick