By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Was The Top Selling Home Console In The World For The 8th Year In A Row!

youngbr said:
Random question, but why this site is so biased with Nintendo. It is kind of weird. I see so much elitism in some comments. Maybe because some of you live in rich countries, That is why you will never understand how much respect SONY shows for third world country. Unlike Nintendo that doesn't care because they want money, not players. SONY actually does their best so people can still enjoy games and buy consoles in places like South America. Nintendo is amazing too, of course. But the biasing in this site is disgusting. Playstation consoles are amazing.

Nah, it goes all ways. You cant go into a single Nintendo sales thread and not see constant downplaying.

As for Nintendo and third world countries, alot of that has to do with them being a relatively small company.

Sony is a 100,000+ employee conglomerate vs a 5000 employee gaming company. They simply dont have the global reach of a massive company like Sony.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Evilms said:

PlayStation is the one and only true king for home consoles.

PS1+PS2+PS3+PS4 = 440.83 millions

Nes+S.Nes+N64+NGC+Wii+WiiU+Switch = 311.37 millions

XBX+360+XB1 = 151.65 millions

No possible contestation

Nate4Drake said:
Intrinsic said:

IDK why or why you are saying all that to me.

The only ways NS doest win 2019 is if sony drops PS4 price to $99, NS increases their price to $399 or NS doesn't release any new games in 2019......... or maybe any or all of those things combined.

We will see at the end of 2019.   If Sony make a price cut at $199 on 1st Sept, and the Last Of Us Part II will be out in Q4 2019, I'm not very sure Switch will sell more; but it's just me, no need to quote me again :)

Yea, a $199 price, if done early enough, would make things much more interesting.  However, I think they'll only go for a $249 cut.  It'll help slow the decline, while also making them a tidy profit, the latter being something they have definitely been focusing on.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 26 January 2019

Didnt knew they had that streak, congratz to them.

Switch will likely win this year though, unless the PS4 exclusives surprise this year as much or more than the ones last year.

thismeintiel said: 
Evilms said: 

PlayStation is the one and only true king for home consoles.

PS1+PS2+PS3+PS4 = 440.83 millions

Nes+S.Nes+N64+NGC+Wii+WiiU+Switch = 311.37 millions

XBX+360+XB1 = 151.65 millions

No possible contestation

Nate4Drake said: 

We will see at the end of 2019.   If Sony make a price cut at $199 on 1st Sept, and the Last Of Us Part II will be out in Q4 2019, I'm not very sure Switch will sell more; but it's just me, no need to quote me again :)

Yea, a $199 price, if done early enough, would make things much more interesting.  However, I think they'll only go for a $249 cut.  It'll help slow the decline, while also making them a tidy profit, the latter being something they have definitely been focusing on.

3ds. 

You're welcome. 

"Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?". If the answer is no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something"

Steve Jobs

Around the Network
youngbr said:
Random question, but why this site is so biased with Nintendo. It is kind of weird. I see so much elitism in some comments. Maybe because some of you live in rich countries, That is why you will never understand how much respect SONY shows for third world country. Unlike Nintendo that doesn't care because they want money, not players. SONY actually does their best so people can still enjoy games and buy consoles in places like South America. Nintendo is amazing too, of course. But the biasing in this site is disgusting. Playstation consoles are amazing.

This site came into its own during the nintendo domination era..... So naturally the majority of the members were nintendo fans. It actually has gotten a lot better as majority of the most vile fans disappeared during the period of the WiiU. 

It's a generation that was saved by sony, heavy investment in AAA games, it's comforting to see it win from end to end, even against Nintendo resurging from death. If Sony wants to release a super slim ps4 and a slim pro this year, it will probably be in the ninth straight year in the lead.

KingofTrolls said:
Intrinsic said:

IDK why or why you are saying all that to me.

It is much easier to make PS4 99 than PS2.

Like 5 times easier.

That is just ridiculous.

PS2

• Disc drive
  • Processor
  • Ram
  • Controller
Thats all that is in a PS2. Memory cards were even sold seperately. Oh and $99 in 2006 is very different from $99 in 2019.
PS4
  •  Disc drive
  • HDD
  • APU
  • Ram
  • A more complex board with support for thins like wifi, ethernet, bluetooth.....etc
  • Fan and heatsink
  • Controller
Any two of those things in that list already puts the PS4 over $60. And you cant have a PS4 without every single one of them. So how the hell are the going to get all that to fit in a $99 box in 2019/2020. The best they can d is probably $149. And even that is a stretch

Poor Microsoft has never had it's time to shine. Always beaten by something.

manuelogando40 said:

3ds. 

You're welcome. 

This thread is just about home consoles but overall I think it makes more sense to do company vs company comparisons since so much of Nintendo's sales come from their handhelds.

Look at the split of Nintendo handheld vs console sales in this 8 year time frame. Wii+Wii U sold ~32.5 million and DS+3DS sold ~86.5 million from 2011-2018. That's over 70% from their handhelds.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.