By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 29 December 2018

KingofTrolls said:
So far PS4 won 2018 and beat Sony's own updated target. I think nobody in Sony expect GoW/SM/SotC to be that high-rated and good selling titles. More over, the money PS4 is pushing with 3rd party and Plus membership is insane.
Fingers crossed for 2019.

I personally think that they did expect all those games to be well received but maybe not one of the greatest single player games tier for GoW :p I agree with that I dont think they expected GoW and Spiderman to sell as much as they did. Massive systemsellers.. Both should have crossed 10M by now. Or at the very least very close to.

Great year for Sonys exclusives  and PS4 in general. Off to a great start with games coming in the first quarter as well.

Around the Network
Mbolibombo said:

I personally think that they did expect all those games to be well received but maybe not one of the greatest single player games tier for GoW :p I agree with that I dont think they expected GoW and Spiderman to sell as much as they did. Massive systemsellers.. Both should have crossed 10M by now. Or at the very least very close to.

Great year for Sonys exclusives  and PS4 in general. Off to a great start with games coming in the first quarter as well.

Exactly this. SOtC remake and Detroit and PSVR games also score great numbers.

The future is bright.

colafitte said:
Alcyon said:

And ?

In 2013 the PS4 sold 1682K in Europe.

UK (565K)+FR (260K)+ GE (278K) = 1103K (579K for the rest)

In 2014 the PS4 dols 6053K in Europe.

UK (1261K)+ FR (845K) + GE (1065K) = 3171K (2882K for the rest)

UK : +123%

FR : +225%

GE : +283%

Rest : +398%

You are comparing a launch period where the stock at launch was focused in the main markets, especially UK to a full year. And despite that the rest is not 5 times better than France or Germany like in the case I'm pointing out. So yes, if you want to make that unfair comparison it's your right, but it doesn't disqualify my point either.

And that 100% grow includes Italy too so if Italy is probably around 20-30% too, then the rest of Europe grow even more than 100% then. The disparity in growth between European markets is obvious. If you chose to believe is possible I'm OK with that. In my case I decide I don't. 

Ok, you are using a stupid metric (a ratio of ratios is a stupid metric. "5 time better" when you compare +20% to +100% is REALLY a bad metric, +1% vs +5% has the same issue), you argue on non-existent points (the goal was to show that Euroe isn't a single market) and I just checked the first year vs the second year. If I didn't, you'd be whining that, for the Switch, I was looking at these 2 years.

But ok. PS4

2015 : UK (1148K) - GE (1371K) - FR (1026K). 3314K for the rest.

2016 : UK (942K) - GE (1203K) - FR (972K). 3678K for the rest.

UK -14%

GE -12%

FR -5%

Rest +11%

That's more than infinitely better !

For various reasons, the "rest" is usualy "lagging".

Alcyon said:
colafitte said:

You are comparing a launch period where the stock at launch was focused in the main markets, especially UK to a full year. And despite that the rest is not 5 times better than France or Germany like in the case I'm pointing out. So yes, if you want to make that unfair comparison it's your right, but it doesn't disqualify my point either.

And that 100% grow includes Italy too so if Italy is probably around 20-30% too, then the rest of Europe grow even more than 100% then. The disparity in growth between European markets is obvious. If you chose to believe is possible I'm OK with that. In my case I decide I don't. 

Ok, you are using a stupid metric (a ratio of ratios is a stupid metric. "5 time better" when you compare +20% to +100% is REALLY a bad metric, +1% vs +5% has the same issue), you argue on non-existent points (the goal was to show that Euroe isn't a single market) and I just checked the first year vs the second year. If I didn't, you'd be whining that, for the Switch, I was looking at these 2 years.

But ok. PS4

2015 : UK (1148K) - GE (1371K) - FR (1026K). 3314K for the rest.

2016 : UK (942K) - GE (1203K) - FR (972K). 3678K for the rest.

UK -14%

GE -12%

FR -5%

Rest +11%

That's more than infinitely better !

For various reasons, the "rest" is usualy "lagging".

"Stupid metric"...., ok. Whatever you say... I did not used only ratios, i posted exactly how much sold rest of Europe in 2017 and 2018, pointing out it was a 100% growth. This is very easy: Find a country in Europe where Switch has sold 100% or more than the year before and then i can start believe i'm wrong, and if you find more than one, the better. I prefer to have actual data and being wrong than the contrary. Until then i will keep MY OPINION about Europe being overtracked.

As for the second point. I guess you want to say that in 2016 UK, GE and FR sold less and the rest of Europe sold more than the year before. But how that matters when what i'm discussing is the level of growth so big compared to a year before? Even that number you post is not a 100% growth from the year before...so what then?

If you find normal that Italy, Portugal, Netherlands, Greece, Belgium, Sweden, Austria, Poland, ..........(all the rest of countries that VGC count as Europe alongside UK, FR, GE and Spain) grow combined around 100% or more than the year before....good for you!. I'm not trying to force my opinion in you. Believe what you want. I'm only giving perspective of the situation so anyone can make their own conclusion. You made yours and i made mine. 

So.

1) If a market increases A LOT MORE than GE+UK+FR, it doesn't count, "because reasons".
2) If a market increasses while GE+UK+FR decreases, it doesn't count, "because reasons".

And yes, a ratio of ratio is a stupid metric. A growth of 2% isn't "2 times better" than a growth of 1%. You refuse to understand this, Any growth would be infinetely better than no growth. Simple math.

Again, AGAIN (but you are probably from the US. Or at least not from Europe), you don't seem to understand that Europe isn't a single market. We have a gazillon different languages and many companies usualy don't translate the games or even the console. That's a big downside for young players in many countries. We also have a big disparity in income between the countries.

A little more than one year ago

https://nintendosoup.com/first-party-nintendo-switch-games-listed-language-support-region/

Now, they start putting Dutch (23M people) Portuguese (10M people), Russian (I don't know if Russia is part of Europe or not in the charts, but Russian is spoken in several eastern countries), etc. So no, this isn't surprising to see a bigger increase when Nintendo start to take these potential customers into account.

Around the Network
Alcyon said:
So.

1) If a market increases A LOT MORE than GE+UK+FR, it doesn't count, "because reasons".
2) If a market increasses while GE+UK+FR decreases, it doesn't count, "because reasons".

And yes, a ratio of ratio is a stupid metric. A growth of 2% isn't "2 times better" than a growth of 1%. You refuse to understand this, Any growth would be infinetely better than no growth. Simple math.

Again, AGAIN (but you are probably from the US. Or at least not from Europe), you don't seem to understand that Europe isn't a single market. We have a gazillon different languages and many companies usualy don't translate the games or even the console. That's a big downside for young players in many countries. We also have a big disparity in income between the countries.

A little more than one year ago

https://nintendosoup.com/first-party-nintendo-switch-games-listed-language-support-region/

Now, they start putting Dutch (23M people) Portuguese (10M people), Russian (I don't know if Russia is part of Europe or not in the charts, but Russian is spoken in several eastern countries), etc. So no, this isn't surprising to see a bigger increase when Nintendo start to take these potential customers into account.

Dude, what's your problem, why you are so agressive?

For your information i'm half spanish, half french, (but i was born and live in Spain) so i'm definitively european.

You're making a lot of assumptions i didn't made. I didn't use "a ratio of a ratio". Where did you get that? the % i used was between two absolute numbers being the second a 100% bigger than the first.

I never said anything you said in those points 1 and 2. I said that your points still don't discredit what i said about those specific european countries growing so much between years. Any of your arguments support those countries selling 100% or more than the year before.

And i never used terms like Europe being a single market. I was using total sales of what VGChartz consider EUROPE to try to understand why Europe as whole grew so much in a year. So i looked for UK, FR, GE, SP numbers and from the total i got the numbers from "the rest of Europe" and doing the maths i explained how i obtained that 100% growth. And you don't need to give me lessons about different languages because as a spanish i know a lot about that by the way.

I won't insist anymore on this. You made your points, and i made mine. You can't prove me wrong and i can't prove i'm right. This site is about discussing numbers, in this case VGC numbers, and i was just doing that. But it seems like you are taking thing personally, and it's becoming tiresome in this site recently. I treat everyone with respect and everytime i give my opinion i support it with numbers and data. If you don't agree, like i said, IT'S FINE, i have no problems. I was just answering you every time because i'm polite but this argument is going circles. I understand your opinion, your numbers, and everything you said, i just don't agree.

See you in another discussion, but enough for today.

Finally, the sales of the XB1 is 41 million consoles.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xbox-one-global-sales-at-41-million-digital-sale-ratio-far-higher-on-xbox-one-than-on-other-platforms.95535/

Evilms said:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xbox-one-global-sales-at-41-million-digital-sale-ratio-far-higher-on-xbox-one-than-on-other-platforms.95535/

Gosh, it is actually worse than what VGChartz expected.

Mmm... How much of those 41M sales are just from USA and UK?

X Box brand is basically dead outside those territories....

Evilms said:

That's quite... unexpected. I mean 2 million overtracked by VGChartz is quite a lot, I know is 5% of overall unit, but still...

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg