By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playable character in Kingdom Hearts III Leak [SPOILER]

Fuck. Now I can't play the game until I play Birth By Sleep. I thought maybe I could get away with it, but there's just no way now.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
HylianSwordsman said:
Fuck. Now I can't play the game until I play Birth By Sleep. I thought maybe I could get away with it, but there's just no way now.

Oh yeah, you should at the very least watch the story from that game before playing Kingdom Hearts 3.
It's where the main villain is introduced, and his background and motivation is shown, and it's the lead up to the current situation in Kingdom Hearts 3.

I don't know if they'll recap it in KH3, but a lot of crucial plot elements in Kingdom Hearts 3 are the way they are because of what happened in BBS. I'd even go as far as to say that the events of Kingdom Hearts 2 is more skippable than BBS's story, when it comes to enjoying KH3.
Because Kingdom Hearts 2 is more like a conclusion of the first section of the story, wheres BBS introduced a new chapter, that will now conclude in KH3.

Birth By Sleep has my favorite battle mechanics (cooldown system for skills, that can be reduced by using more skills, encouraging more frequent usage of skills) so I'd say it'd be fun to play, if you are at all into Kingdom Hearts. It'll probably pale in comparison to KH 3 though. But if you don't want to play BBS, at least watch the story on youtube is my recommendation.

Anyway, I really didn't want to get my hopes up about this character being playable in the main game, due to what we see in some KH3 trailers. Maybe in a DLC, I thought, but I'm very glad to see I was wrong about that.

Well that was definitely the character I was most looking foward to seeing when I finally got around to BBS, so I'm glad they're in 3 since I'm sure I'll want more of them afterwards. So is there a playable version of BBS on one of the KH collections or do I have to track down an actual PSP and copy of the game? I'll definitely play it one way or another. I love trying all the spin-offs' different battle systems.

Hiku said:
HylianSwordsman said:

First story: Kingdom Hearts 1 > Chain of Memories > 358/2 Days > Kingdom Hearts 2.

Second story: Birth By Sleep >Coded (Only the secret ending, really) > Dream Drop Distance > Kingdom Hearts 3.

Ah, I see. Then I've played through the whole first story and just part of Coded for the second story (never finished that one).

Hiku said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Well that was definitely the character I was most looking foward to seeing when I finally got around to BBS, so I'm glad they're in 3 since I'm sure I'll want more of them afterwards. So is there a playable version of BBS on one of the KH collections or do I have to track down an actual PSP and copy of the game? I'll definitely play it one way or another. I love trying all the spin-offs' different battle systems.

Yeah, luckily there are several options for that game. I first played it as an HD Remaster on Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Remix. (PS3)

On PS4 it's on a game called Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5

And on Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX

• KINGDOM HEARTS FINAL MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Chain of Memories
  • KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days (HD Remastered cinematics)
  • KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep Final MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Re:coded (HD Remastered cinematics)

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 FINAL CHAPTER PROLOGUE

• KINGDOM HEARTS Dream Drop Distance HD
  • KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep –A fragmentary passage–
  • KINGDOM HEARTS χ Back Cover (movie)

It basically has every game. Including Dream Drop Distance, and 0.2 (An epilogue to BBS, and Prologue to KH3 featuring Aqua).
^This one seems to be currently sold out on Amazon, though.

I wouldn't even consider Birth By Sleep a spin-off to be honest since it has both the core gameplay and story. It just features a different main cast, but that's some times necessary, like how Metal Gear Solid 3 is about Snake's father, etc.
I think they should have given it a number, like KH 0. The short epilogue to Birth By Sleep is even called KH 0.2.

HylianSwordsman said: 

Ah, I see. Then I've played through the whole first story and just part of Coded for the second story (never finished that one).

Nice.
Yeah from what I understand (I haven't played it myself, but I watched a story summary) Coded is mainly a side story, but the secret ending reveals something regarding the main villain of the current story, and sets up for the events of Dream Drop Distance, which is where Riku and Sora go to take the Mark of Mastery, to try to get the keyblade 'Master' title, in preparation for the final battle to come in KH3.
As of Kingdom Hearts 3 there are currently four people with that title. Aqua is one of them.

I forgot to mention that Kingdom Hearts X also plays a part in the KH3 story, and it's summarized in video form in Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far, or Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue.

I'll probably go for KH:TSSF then, that sounds like it would be the easiest way. Is χ a game you've played? Is it worth playing? Coded is not worth playing, but I might dig it out and finish it after I beat BBS, I was pretty close.

I don't know if we're avoiding using names but yeah can't wait for KH3 and to play as them.

Around the Network

I don't know how much information do you provide here, I don't know if you're trying to be careful for the sake of people who want to avoid spoilers. Really, I don't care. I'm just here ask you not do this. Youtube and many sites on the internet are already filled with spoilers and leaks. I can't literally go through my recommended without seeing something. And I don't want to come here and see "KH III, NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTER LEAK, OMG, COME HERE IT'S AWESOME".

Thank you.

Hiku said:
Vodacixi said:
I don't know how much information do you provide here, I don't know if you're trying to be careful for the sake of people who want to avoid spoilers. Really, I don't care. I'm just here ask you not do this. Youtube and many sites on the internet are already filled with spoilers and leaks. I can't literally go through my recommended without seeing something. And I don't want to come here and see "KH III, NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTER LEAK, OMG, COME HERE IT'S AWESOME".

Thank you.

I don't mention the character by name, but in the opening post I provide a clickable link where you can see a cropped out image of the character if you click it.
The other images I've posted in other replies are unrelated to the topic, but rather talking about other KH games and whether they are worth playing, etc.

Others in this thread have avoided mentioning the character by name as well, though some comments have been made that could be seen as a hint, so I would not recommend anyone read this topic unless they are ok with knowing who the playable character is.

I posted this because I know there are people who want to know about playable characters, even if they don't want to hear anything else about the game.
Since Kingdom Hearts games essentially always have multiple playable characters (even in KH1, you get to play as a Heartless, for example) the headline itself shouldn't be a problem.

You said that as if you were the only one that can provide that information to others. As I said, there are many places already to find all the information one might want about KHIII. If someone wants to know, don't worry friendly neighbour, they will do it without you.

With this you're not helping anyone. You're scaring people who wants to avoid spoilers. There hasn't been any other leak thread on the site recently, so people may assume they are safe here. Unluckily for them, you're here. Even if there's really no spoilers in the thread itself, seeing something like this on the Hot Topics section creates pointless insecurity.

Hiku said:

Yeah, that one sounds like the best deal.
I have played X actually. If it's worth playing? Well, it's a mobile gacha game, and it plays completely different from any other KH game. It's not something I'd recommend someone to play for the story, but rather if you happen to enjoy things like collecting your favorite characters, and the gameplay mechanics of the game.

You use in-game currency to get random characters and hope you get lucky to get the ones you want. Though the characters are usually guaranteed after a certain number of tries, which makes it possible for people to play and get most of the characters they want even without spending real money on the game (which I don't).

It can be nice for killing a few minutes here and there, and there are some interesting strategies for completing some fights in the game.

That said, my interest in it has waned a lot, to the point where I now just log in for the daily log in bonus (in-game currency), and save them for when a character I'm interested in shows up. I don't really play it any more. But that could change if they add some interesting new modes.
It's free to download, so you could always give it a try and see if it's something you'd want to keep playing for a while.

The story may be worth knowing though, whether you get it from playing the game or looking at the videos featured in the PS4 game KH:TSSF. I say 'may be' because they may summarize the important bits in KH3.

One thing to note though is that KHUX's story, including the part about the Org XIII member I mentioned, still hasn't concluded. (They add more story every now and then through updates.) Which is interesting, since KH3 will be out in a few days. So I guess I'll get most of my answers about these characters in KH3 first?

Huh. It sounds kind of like Fire Emblem Heroes then. I might give it a shot, but I won't spend any money on it. If I play it during little bits of downtime, by the time I get through BBS and DDD, they might be done with X's story and I could go into KH3 fully updated. I'm sure the bits in TSSF would be enough to get me up to speed if it's still not all out by then though. I won't let a mobile game stop me from finally playing Kingdom Hearts 3 after a decade+ wait.

Hiku said:

Yeah, the 'gacha' (gambling for rare units) element of it is the same as in Fire Emblem Heroes. Though Heroes at least plays similar to the real Fire Emblem.
It's nice that you plan to catch up on the full story before KH3. I plan to do the same, sort of. I have Coded and Dream Drop Distance left, but I think I'll skip playing Coded, and just potentially watch the story in video form. I already know the jist of DDD's story since I looked it up when I didn't think I'd play it, but since it got an HD Remaster, I'll give it a go before KH3 comes out. I have a 3DS but usually I'm not keen on using it for 3D games due to the analog and lack of camera control options.

Depending on how long it takes you to get through these games, I hope you're successful in avoiding seeing any KH3 related spoilers you're not interested in learning before playing the game, because that can be a challenge. Everyone in this topic has been responsible so far and didn't even mention the character by name even without me asking them to do so, but you never know when someone might show up and blurt something out.

Though I managed to avoid Metal Gear Solid 4 spoilers for like 5 years, so a few days/weeks for KH3 shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah I caught on quick and avoided mentioning even gender pronouns just in case that gave people a hint. I'm pretty good at avoiding spoilers (went into Zelda BotW with just what I knew from the E3 stuff, and know absolutely nothing about KH3 beyond its E3 trailer, and what I saw here). Personally I don't consider what you showed here as something I'd want to avoid spoiling, so I looked, but I know some people would rather not and I respect that.

If you want to finish before or shortly after KH3 releases, definitely don't waste time with Coded. In my experience, it just wasn't very fun, and felt mostly like another review of KH1. I tend to try to play everything on its original console when I can, and did up to this point, but I'll have to make exceptions from here on out to save time. Not save time to avoid spoilers, that's not hard, but rather save time because I can't wait. I guess it's my own fault for letting the game sneak up on me when I had several months notice, but I've just been so caught up in my backlog, and then Smash came out...but no more! I'm gonna make it my top gaming priority to catch up on Kingdom Hearts and finally play KH3!

Hiku said:

Yeah, someone else did the same, and that was nice to see. Even though I figured people clicking on this topic will primarily be those who are ok with finding out the identity of the character, there's a chance that someone may not be. And so far, one person wasn't. So I'm glad other people were thinking the same way.
Speaking of which, I'm currently asking him what exactly he finds problematic with my topic, but he did essentially say that my topic wouldn't be helpful to anyone because people can just look this up on other sites.
But given what you just said, you seem to be exactly the the type of person this topic was aimed towards.

Is it fair to say that you'd worry about accidentally seeing other spoilers you wouldn't want to see, if you were to venture into some Kingdom Hearts community site that's full of spoilers, or a Youtube channel posting a bunch of footage from a leaked copy of the game?
Because that was the case for me. I wouldn't actually try to dig this info up in those places because it's like going through a minefield. I happened to come by this info by chance, and took a look to see if it really was what it seemed to be, and then I thought I'd try to help some other like-minded people who may be interested in this particular info, but would want to avoid most other story related info, by making a topic that appears to have little risk in getting anything else spoiled in the process.

Even by doing that, I get that some people who may be curious to see if the character mentioned in the topic title is who they are hoping for, are still worried that other things would be spoiled in the process, and decide not to read the thread. Very understandable. But at least a few people 'took that chance' seemingly, and if it helped them by avoiding other spoilers, that's exactly why I made the topic.

Well that and if they wanted to share their thoughts on it, I wanted to hear that as well.
You for example said something that surprised me a bit, which I thought was interesting. That you were looking forward to this character even though you hadn't played certain games in the series. Which may be a testament to characters design, if people are drawn to them before getting to know them. Some times I see a character and immediately feel 'I'm probably going to like this character'. Recently that was the case for me in Persona 5 with Joker and Queen, just from watching trailers.

HylianSwordsman said: 
If you want to finish before or shortly after KH3 releases, definitely don't waste time with Coded. In my experience, it just wasn't very fun, and felt mostly like another review of KH1. I tend to try to play everything on its original console when I can, and did up to this point, but I'll have to make exceptions from here on out to save time. Not save time to avoid spoilers, that's not hard, but rather save time because I can't wait. I guess it's my own fault for letting the game sneak up on me when I had several months notice, but I've just been so caught up in my backlog, and then Smash came out...but no more! I'm gonna make it my top gaming priority to catch up on Kingdom Hearts and finally play KH3!

From what I've read about Coded's story, it did sound almost like an ambitious recap of KH1, with elements and characters of other games added as well, so I'm not surprised to hear you describe it that way.
I did check out the secret ending on Youtube though, since I heard it's significant to the main plot. And about that, since you said you tend to play these on their original system, apparently the secret ending to Coded is exclusive to the HD 2.5 ReMIX cinematic version. So if your only experience with Coded is the DS version, you may want to look up the secret ending on Youtube.
Though since you haven't played BBS yet (and I take it you haven't played DDD either?) it's probably best if you check out Coded's secret ending after you finish BBS, because it revolves around the main villain's plan, after the events of BBS and leading into DDD.

I didn't pick up Smash yet, but I also need to finish Persona 5 before KH3 comes out, so there is that as well. But KH3's impending release has motivated me to get through my backlog finally, which I started doing last week!

The topic seems pretty reasonable to me. Some people are really sensitive to spoilers, but you clearly indicated in your title that a spoiler was included and precisely what the spoiler was. If anything, someone who wanted to avoid all spoilers would have a better idea of what to avoid, though they would know that an unexpected character was playable, or at the very least that it wasn't going to just be Sora.

Yeah, during these periods where I know everything I want to know about a game that's coming out and am avoiding spoilers, I know exactly which Youtube channels and gaming communities to avoid because careless people post things without thinking, and which channels can still be watched so long as I avoid the comments (some creators are very sensitive to spoilers, which is nice). However I also tend to avoid any place at all really where spoilery news is frequently shared, at least leading up to a release like this, so I would never have found this info out otherwise. I'm definitely the sort of person you were hoping to reach, who tends to avoid spoilers but might be okay with this specific piece of info.

Yeah, everything I've seen and heard about the character in question has made me more interested in them, and they're precisely who I want to play as the most when I finally get to that point. So honestly, when I saw your topic, I actually guessed it was that character and clicked because I was hoping I was right, I'm that convinced I'll like them.

Thanks for the warning on Coded. I was close to the end when I gave up on it, so I guess I'll finish the DS version and just watch the secret ending when I'm ready for it. But yeah, that's basically what Coded is.

Yeah I never got Persona 5 but it's definitely on my to do list, I want to get it and play it before Joker comes out for Smash.